Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 AM

53 posts, read 147,713 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me something about Taos? a place to visit or a place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 AM

464 posts, read 1,158,337 times
Hi Amelis, you'll get alot of replies tomorrow I'm sure, as it's sort of late in the day now. But I will put in a bit of my own thoughts on Taos for you.
I don't live in NM yet, but have traveled there many times since I was a child.

Taos is in one my my more Favorite parts of the state. Gorgeous vistas, the high mountains right there.
The town for me has always been a Visit place. With lots to see and do. An Artist's 'hub' with many Galleries and shops and restaurants, amazing Native American Culture, skiing in the winter months, hiking in the warm months. History abounds.

An array of colors everywhere you turn, a feast for the eyes and wonderful foods for the body available there. It can get crowded in the Summer months with many tourist visiting.
As far as living there, I feel it's one of the more expensive parts of the state to live in. Mountains and real estate spell "more".
So your budget may be your guide as far as a living location perhaps.
For me when I move I'm considering Winters. And snow and cold for longer periods of time than other parts of the state have. So I'm looking South for 'home".
Which I Love as much but, have spent less time in. (will explore it further once there and settled )
But visits to the Northern parts of the state, HECK the Entire state will be my last stompin' ground

Trips to NM (and Taos) should be in anyone's Plans to decide if, to Live or Visit such a place and state.

I've been round the World and to much of this country and have Loved, New Mexico best, all of my life
Sooo I'm biased LOL

Gather pre-trip information, get things mapped out, pick a season or two to visit and then decide, afterwards.

Check the archived posts about Taos with the Search box and that whole area, Here in this NM forum. Read others previous posts to get a sense of what has been posted before. There's a wealth of information.
And if you've got more questions- fire away

New Mexico is a most Unique state

Hope this helps a little

Tia Dalma

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

185 posts, read 489,134 times
Nice reply TiaDalma,

You might want to give the local station, KTaos a listen. They stream on the internet, and hopefully this link will work for you.

mms://cluster.sbr.liquidcompass.cc/Live_KTAO

Great area to visit, but expensive.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

321 posts, read 839,106 times
K-TAOS 101.9FM - World Famous Solar Radio, Taos NM - HOME (http://www.ktao.com/home.php - broken link)

Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,306,201 times
We looked into moving there a few years ago. I was thankful my husband didn't get the job. Everyone told us the schools weren't any good and it wasn't a good place to raise kids. The housing costs were out of sight. Taos is one of those places where people who already have money move. When you have people who don't have to work to live there, it drives the cost of living up for the locals who have to work to live there. It would have probably have been a financial hardship for us to survive there.

I love to visit Taos. There is great food and unique shopping. The scenery is awesome. If we go a few days at a time, it is affordable.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,992,977 times
Wink If so disposed

If you love the arts, the Southwest in general, or looking to re-invent yourself Taos, NM is a good choice.

Refer to some of my previous posts, or those of of others on this subject as there is a lot of information which may not be repeated here. One caveat is that it will probably not be easy, living in Taos that is. You pretty much have to want to as due cost of living and what not you'd have an easier time of it elsewhere. From that standpoint merely visiting would be simpler. And if so disposed, you'll surely enjoy it. But if looking for something more, particularly within yourself, well, then you'll just have to stay and put in the work. It can be very rewarding.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
lonesailor: I tried out the Taos radio station K-TAOS and liked what was being played, especially the strange cover of Take The Long Way Home, originally by Supertramp in the late 70s. It's one of my favorite songs from the era, and the country/reggae treatment of the version played worked pretty well. I'd probably be entertained by that station if I lived there if their playlist is large enough (and if what I heard is representative).

I like visiting Taos, but it's way too tourist-choked on good weather days, and I'm sure I couldn't afford to live there. It has a bit more winter than I'd like, too.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 PM

321 posts, read 839,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
lonesailor: I tried out the Taos radio station K-TAOS and liked what was being played, especially the strange cover of Take The Long Way Home, originally by Supertramp in the late 70s. It's one of my favorite songs from the era, and the country/reggae treatment of the version played worked pretty well. I'd probably be entertained by that station if I lived there if their playlist is large enough (and if what I heard is representative).

I like visiting Taos, but it's way too tourist-choked on good weather days, and I'm sure I couldn't afford to live there. It has a bit more winter than I'd like, too.

Glad you liked it.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM
fsm

9 posts, read 39,140 times
TiaDalma: I'm interested in what you're saying about Taos being beautiful but cold and expensive to live there.
I too love Santa Fe and Taos but have the same feelings about moving there that you do and wish I could find a warmer part of NM with the beauty and attitude of those towns.
I wonder what places in the"south" you are contemplating. Care to divulge?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Taos, in my opinion is a wonderful place to visit, is beautiful, artsy and fun, but I wouldn't want to live there. Like has been mentioned, it is very pricey, more for those who really have the bucks. It is also liberal, which may or may not bother you, some would love that,others prefer a little more conservative area.

Whether Taos is for you depends on what you really are looking for, Remember it is very touristy as well.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico