Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM

719 posts, read 2,619,729 times

Advertisements

Try Googling title. Worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,147,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Try Googling title. Worked for me.
It's very tempting to order it sight unseen from Amazon, about $8 after shipping, VG Used.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

156 posts, read 722,136 times
Ontheroad, I hope stormweary is doing well, I wonder why she moved from Florida.

Dancingearth,
why do you say you wouldn't retire in Santa Fe? too expensive? That is one of the reasons I'm leaving NJ. Just the taxes alone are over 7000 a year, and always going up. So, I'd like to find a place where I could retire, maybe not have to move again for a long while.

ziaAirmac, what are you going to be selling at the festival?

everybody else;
wish I knew what you were talking about with the foods...can't say that I've ever eaten very authentic NM food. Is it spicy or hot or both? It sounds yummy, and you're making me hungry!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
That is one of the reasons I'm leaving NJ. Just the taxes alone are over 7000 a year, and always going up. So, I'd like to find a place where I could retire, maybe not have to move again for a long while.
Are you referring to property taxes? Perhaps somebody can tell us about property taxes in Santa Fe. ???

And yeah, that's my goal too. I want to find some place where I can retire, buy a nice house, and I plan on living there for the rest of my days. You lose money every time you move, broker's fees, moving costs, and on a limited budget (not working, just Social Security) I can't afford to move a second time. I won't be destitute but I can't see repeatedly wasting that much money. So I plan on buying a nice house, and I plan on picking one that I'll be happy to live in permanently and not feel the need to trade up.

Quote:
ziaAirmac, what are you going to be selling at the festival?
Please tell us a bit about selling crafts in Santa Fe, including how hard it is to get space at a festival, other venues, and associated costs. I really enjoy handicrafts and it would be nice to pick up some extra money. Hobbies are fun and are even more fun if they turn a profit. I can make stained glass windows and presently I'm going to try custom soap making. Either would be good sellers at a festival or craft show.

Quote:
everybody else;
wish I knew what you were talking about with the foods...can't say that I've ever eaten very authentic NM food. Is it spicy or hot or both? It sounds yummy, and you're making me hungry!
Okay to the first level, if you've eaten Mexican food, New Mexican is pretty much like that, but better. It's mostly the same dishes like chili, tacos, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, you know. But there is something with the seasoning and fresh ingredients that you don't get in ordinary Mexican restaurants. New Mexican is neither hotter or milder, neither spicier nor less spicy than regular Mexican although some dishes can be.

My sole experience is about five restaurant dinners during my last visit to Santa Fe, and all of them were better than any similar Mexican food elsewhere, and we've got a lot of Mexican restaurants in Los Angeles. Well, actually my Enchiladas Suisas (http://lovehound.us/recipes/Enchiladas%20Suisas.html - broken link) are equally good to New Mexican although I didn't try that same dish in Santa Fe. So somebody please correct me if I got anything wrong and/or elaborate on what exactly New Mexican food really is.

All I know is that I want to learn to cook it. Actually, at the present I'm a bit annoyed with you Santa Fe people, being able to just head downtown to the Blue Corn Cafe or Pink Adobe and get a nice New Mexican dinner tonight. I'd have to drive for at least two days and get a hotel before I can have that same dinner. You people really make me mad!!!

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-08-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,036,313 times
When I first moved here, my cornerstone book was The Green Chile Bible. Followed, of course, by the Red Chile Bible ;-} Amazon has a buy-them-both deal for $23.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM

332 posts, read 1,036,313 times
Default Property Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Are you referring to property taxes? Perhaps somebody can tell us about property taxes in Santa Fe. ???
There are of course mill rates and other components in the calculation, but basically for a $500,000 home you'll pay about $3300 in annual property tax.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
There are of course mill rates and other components in the calculation, but basically for a $500,000 home you'll pay about $3300 in annual property tax.
So that's about two thirds of a percent... I may be wrong but I believe here in California it's about 1 percent.

Is there any limitation on how much property taxes can be raised? Here in California I think the limit (Prop 13) is 2 percent per year.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,699 times
The Assessor has been ramping up property taxes lately in Santa Fe. The usual scenario is once a property is sold, the Assessor then takes a look at the comparables and adjusts the tax. I just talked to a person who bought a house here for $600,000. The property tax was assessed previously around what the person bought the place for. Now the Assessor has increased the property tax, and is valuing the property at $900,000 because of some lousy comparables.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 PM

719 posts, read 2,619,729 times
Have you guys considered Taos? It's still (though not by too much) less expensive than Santa Fe. There are artists and hippies that can still afford to live there, though many in tepees near the Rio Grande. I have a cousin who's lived there 35 years and still loves it. They've done a great job keeping the big box stores away and preserving its unique culture. While Taos too has grown, it is earthier and feels more like a town. Best enchiladas served "Christmas?" At Orlando's in nearby El Prado, of course.
My only gripe - The Blakes now allow snowboarding at Taos Ski Valley. Ernie must be rolling over in his grave!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM

I would rather have a few big box stores handy. Perhaps others would like more "quaint" and less "modern" but not me. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico