Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,677 times

Advertisements

tcburns - I like that definition of fine art! and folk art...makes more sense. I've worked in businesses that hang wonderful photographs and art work, it's a win--win for all--makes the work environment much easier to be in all day and it seems like it would be much more rewarding for the artist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
Mountainair in Torrance County (easy side of mountains from Albuquerque) is supposed to be an artsy town but it is sort of off the beaten trucking path. Fair real estate prices as well. Here's the realtor who recently showed me a property over there. New Mexico Ranch Land, Real Estate: Patsy Gustin

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM

35 posts, read 103,971 times
Personally thanks for the link High Plains Retired; not sure when the next trip out to NM is going to be for us, we'd hoped this spring, but life has once again changed our plans. Ah, well.

We've a fairly good list of areas to look into, but any direct contacts like that is 'fershure appreciated. ~tim

Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM

974 posts, read 2,345,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcburns View Post
We've a fairly good list of areas to look into, but any direct contacts like that is 'fershure appreciated. ~tim
Tim - I know and love northern New Mexico. You can check out my website GreatSantaFeRealEstate and look for properties all over this part of the state, and/or contact me with any questions. I'm a no/low pressure realtor; don't really need the money and just enjoy helping folks find their slice of heaven in this Land of Enchantment....

Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM

156 posts, read 722,136 times
HI fellow artists!
I like this discussion too!
I don't have many friends here that I can talk to about art, and I don't go into galleries here, they're too uptight and un-welcoming.

Dancingearth,
I love your roach plate too! bugs are cool, great shapes and so organic.lol
I know what you mean about clay, it's addictive. And it's earthy, you feel a real connection to the material when you're creating with clay.

Personally, I don't really see a huge difference in fine art and folk art. Maybe the origins were different, but today I accept it all as art. I'm sure some 'fine artists' would disagree with me, but that's their opinion. I like that we are living in this century and seeing all the cool new creative things that artists can do, like graphic art, and animation. If you have seen any animated movies, some are like works of art too.
I mean, art is art, to me. Many fine artists also do ceramics, or actors are also painters, etc. And some bloggers I read are so creative, there's this whole movement of people sewing new clothing from recycling old ones. (like Burdastyle, & Craftster.)
If you are a painter, or crafter, or fabric designer, or jewelry maker, or whatever... it comes (hopefully)from your desire and NEED to create. Otherwise you are just not fulfilled and happy, and you feel something missing.
Basically, people think 'fine art' is something you only see in galleries or museums, and thats too bad. And art is just not stressed enough in schools or families, IMHO. It's not that the kids don't want to do it, they love art. They're just not offered anything much after grade school, unless they're lucky,or pushed. I guess I was both, and I'm eternally grateful to my parents.

tcburns
Quote:
We both want out of Chicago, it's just become to much of a crush of the rude and inconsiderate, altogether just to much of a drain on energy.
i love this quote, for us, just put 'New Jersey' in place of Chicago. I hope you will still be able to do this move, we are fixing up and selling asap. If we end up selling but staying in the state, I will be moving closer to NYC, and try to get into some kind of artsy thing there. Not much here at the shore.

GreatSantaFe and High_Plains_Retired,
thanks for the ideas. Will check out the site, and the town. Hopefully things are moving here in NJ, at least the weather is looking up. :-)

have a great week everybody,
I will keep you all posted about our move, if you'd like.
peace.
iriegirl

Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
HI fellow artists!
I like this discussion too!
I don't have many friends here that I can talk to about art, and I don't go into galleries here, they're too uptight and un-welcoming.

Dancingearth,
I love your roach plate too! bugs are cool, great shapes and so organic.lol
I know what you mean about clay, it's addictive. And it's earthy, you feel a real connection to the material when you're creating with clay.

have a great week everybody,
I will keep you all posted about our move, if you'd like.
peace.
iriegirl
Thanks Iriegirl--Yep, bugs are fun. Today I worked on a storybook quilt I started 8 years ago--one panel has ants wandering around the border. I'd like to put ants on a plate I'm making if I can get the timing right--taking Spanish starting this week so the plate might get too dry before Tuesday--two nights a week away from clay!

Keep us posted--good luck selling the house!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM

775 posts, read 2,589,409 times
Default East Mountain Area

Check out the East Mountain Telegraph and the Independent and The East Mountain area is in the center of N.M. with cool weather in the Summer and some cold winters and you have a Short drive to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Rent or Rent to Own and explore the little towns and mountains around that have Artist like Mountainair and all along the East Mountains. It like living out in the Country and lots of Friendly people and Activities going on in the Summer and Fall. pintada kid at webtvdot net

Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 PM

156 posts, read 722,136 times
thanks Dancingearth, I will need all the good luck I can get in this market!
and Good luck to you too, taking Spanish is a great thing to do, wish I took it in school instead of French, duh!

Thanks to you too Pintada Kid, I will look up that area and maybe we can visit there.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
thanks Dancingearth, I will need all the good luck I can get in this market!
and Good luck to you too, taking Spanish is a great thing to do, wish I took it in school instead of French, duh!

Thanks to you too Pintada Kid, I will look up that area and maybe we can visit there.
Definitely visit the East Mountains - there is even a clay studio If I could afford it and it was closer to my job, that would be where I would live--I love my friend's home. Lots of trees. Well, Spanish will have to wait, I dropped it after the first class. I realized I'm too stressed out with this job (it's a mess) and until I get it more settled all I can do is clay and volunteer at the living history museum. No more mental challenges

Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM

35 posts, read 103,971 times
Good resources for info, both Pintada Kid & Greatsantafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico