Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,576,770 times

Advertisements

I read that right after 9/11 they had a Newark-33rd st line why didn't they keep it? Kind of like how you can go either way from Hoboken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,872,226 times
Theres not enough capacity , unless you have 4 billion $$ for 2 new tunnels. + That money would go to a PATH Overhaul and extension to EWR and Elizabeth. But there will be a new Light Rail line built sometime later this decade form Hoboken Terminal to Journal SQ to Secacus JCT or North Newark.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM

478 posts, read 1,750,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I read that right after 9/11 they had a Newark-33rd st line why didn't they keep it? Kind of like how you can go either way from Hoboken.

Getting to Red Bull Arena from 33rd Street - PATH - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (http://www.panynj.gov/path/red-bulls-info-33-harrison.html - broken link)

Really its just a few minutes away..not like hours!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
After 9/11 they had a Newark to 33rd Street Line because the WTC Path Station was destroyed, and Exchange Place station in Jersey City had to be sealed off because of the danger of flooding the system, and by extension the NYC Subway system. Once the temp PATH station at the WTC reopened in 2003 and the system was running again, the Newark - WTC line reverted back to the way it was.

It's no big deal--you simply get off one train at Journal Square, walk across the platform, and catch the other train on the other track.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 AM

I was just thinking that Hoboken is more connected, I guess for the obvious reason that it is closer, than Newark and most of JC. I don't know it just seems easier that there is one train from there to every station.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,617,094 times
Hoboken also has to take in all of the people stepping off the NJT trains upstairs, so it makes sense to have many more trains running there. The trains that pick up at Newark are pretty much all on their way to Penn anyway. Besides, there seems to always be a 33rd st train waiting at Journal Sqaure anyway.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM

To me it seems like Hoboken is treated like it like it is larger than Newark and Jersey City. It's almost like it is the transportation hub of North Jersey. Even tho Newark has Greyhound and some other long distance transportation options that Hoboken doesn't have, it still seems regionally Hoboken is treated better with transportation options. And is kept a decent level above JC with the lack of NJ Transit there, despite JC being the county seat in which Hoboken is located in.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,888,228 times
Since the tracks continue and are the same, I don't understand why? Is it operating cost? Please explain how they don't have the capacity for this? It's not like they need new tunnels, the trains already share tracks and even stop at the same platforms at Grove Street.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,872,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Since the tracks continue and are the same, I don't understand why? Is it operating cost? Please explain how they don't have the capacity for this? It's not like they need new tunnels, the trains already share tracks and even stop at the same platforms at Grove Street.
Capacity wise , the PATH Tubes are already over capacity by 10-15 trains a day. If you ride the PATH on the weekends , you'll see. Trains are delayed while switching under Jersey City up to 10 mins. On the weekdays its speed up , you only wait a min 5. The PA is slowly upgrading the PATH , but that won't change the lines. An Extension to EWR and possibly Midtown Elizabeth via the Jersey Gardens Mall is planned to start sometime this decade. NJT is planning to build a Light Rail / Commuter line form Hoboken Terminal to Journal SQ and then to Secacus JCT or North Newark. It would use abandoned lines and would be the cheapest line every built. Most of the Tracks and ROW is still there, except they would have to replace the Hackensack River bridge. But i don't see why you can't just switch the platforms at Journal SQ , it only takes a few mins.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
To me it seems like Hoboken is treated like it like it is larger than Newark and Jersey City. It's almost like it is the transportation hub of North Jersey. Even tho Newark has Greyhound and some other long distance transportation options that Hoboken doesn't have, it still seems regionally Hoboken is treated better with transportation options. And is kept a decent level above JC with the lack of NJ Transit there, despite JC being the county seat in which Hoboken is located in.
The PATH in its previous incarnation was built in the 1890's to service the commuter lines, and Hoboken Terminal was built in 1907. It's not that the city of Hoboken itself is what's being serviced, it's just that this was the way a good-sized chunk of the NJ-to-NY rail transportation system was laid out more than a century ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey