Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,950 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be relocating to the north Jersey area from Chicago and I am trying to find the best place for us to live. My boyfriend is being relocated because of his job and people he works with have told him to live in Hoboken, Morristown, Weehawken or Newport. While that narrows it down that is still very hard to choose from especially not being from the area.

My boyfriend is 24 and I am 22 so we are looking for an area that has a lot going on with a lot located within walking distance. Since I have always been a big city girl I need to live in and or VERY close to a big city plus I wont have a car the first couple of months there so I will need to get around while my boyfriend has the car.

Please give me information about any of the locations I mentioned and where you suggest we live.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM

84 posts, read 199,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbiederman View Post
My boyfriend and I will be relocating to the north Jersey area from Chicago and I am trying to find the best place for us to live. My boyfriend is being relocated because of his job and people he works with have told him to live in Hoboken, Morristown, Weehawken or Newport. While that narrows it down that is still very hard to choose from especially not being from the area.

My boyfriend is 24 and I am 22 so we are looking for an area that has a lot going on with a lot located within walking distance. Since I have always been a big city girl I need to live in and or VERY close to a big city plus I wont have a car the first couple of months there so I will need to get around while my boyfriend has the car.

Please give me information about any of the locations I mentioned and where you suggest we live.

Thanks!
Hoboken ticks all the boxes except you didn't mention your budget.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

69 posts, read 294,716 times
Hoboken indeed. Unless your budget - JC Heights

Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times
Depending on where you need to live, either Hoboken or Jersey City Heights is exactly where you need to be!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,507 times
Hoboken - it's the mile square town, bars and restaurants galore. If that's not your scene, you can either hop the PATH subway, bus or ferry to Manhattan. Hoboken can be expensive, almost as much as actually living in NYC. Still, I'd choose Hoboken over the other spots, if the budget allowed.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,916,044 times
Hoboken is just perfect as everyone suggests. Montclair is nice too, but Hoboken is #1.

Where are your jobs located?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,785 times
Hoboken and Newport are closest to NYC and easiest to get to via public trans (PATH train).
JC Heights isn't as convenient to the city. Newport doesn't have as much going on as Hoboken, but with the boardwalk now complete, it's walking distance to Hoboken and Washington St. It also depends on whether you prefer townhouses and attached low-rise buildings, or hi-rise condos.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,870,238 times
another one for hoboken

Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM

381 posts, read 1,310,136 times
If you like cities, the Hamilton Park section of Jersey City is good too. It might be a tad less expensive than Hoboken. The Harsimus Cove/Grove Street section(s) of JC is (are?) good too (all three kind of run into each other). They have more of a big-city feeling than Hoboken which tends to be rather homogeneous. We would have bought a place in Hamilton Park except that the only one we could afford was a handyman special.

Weehawken is good for some people but does not fit your criterion of a lot going on within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey