Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,606,225 times

Advertisements

This has probably been posted many times but for the past xx years what they usually do in NJ is offer you and most everybody a "no points" or "zero points" special. You pay about $485 or so if you agree to this and they amend the charge to "Unsafe Driving-No Points".
I have read on this site where some towns get so crowded they don't even explain much about it. You are allowed to do this 2 times in 5 years I believe, then if you do it a third time it racks up 4 points instead of zero.

Other than this you can try, beg, etc for some other deal, or you can ask for a trial, which I don't think many people actually do much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
This has probably been posted many times but for the past xx years what they usually do in NJ is offer you and most everybody a "no points" or "zero points" special. You pay about $485 or so if you agree to this and they amend the charge to "Unsafe Driving-No Points".
I have read on this site where some towns get so crowded they don't even explain much about it. You are allowed to do this 2 times in 5 years I believe, then if you do it a third time it racks up 4 points instead of zero.

Other than this you can try, beg, etc for some other deal, or you can ask for a trial, which I don't think many people actually do much anymore.
This is pretty spot on. I had two tickets in the past year (first two of my life), showed up in court (two separate occasions), spoke with the arbitrator, got zero points, but had to pay a hefty fine each time...

If I were your friend I would show up in court no questions asked. It'll be a waste of at least half-a-day for him since he'll be forced to sit around until his name is called, but it's better to pay a fine and get no points then to pay a fine and still get points (granted showing up in court doesn't necessarily mean you will get zero points, but they do affectionately call many of these local courts "cash courts" for a reason)...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 25,351 times
I'll be turning up at the court for first time. How do we know if the cop has made it or not?

From what I understood, if the cop does not turn up the case will be dismissed, right? Is there an opportunity for us to find that out, before striking the plea bargain with DA for the no points option ( $485 - No points - Unsafe driving option).

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM

257 posts, read 685,838 times
If the cop doesn't make it to court it might be rescheduled or dismissed. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 AM

For the last 10 years or so the first time you show up at court the cop usually isn't there at all, most of the time. They usually aren't called in unless they are needed for a trial and if so they might reschedule that to another day. Everything seems to be geared around working a deal with the prostitutor first.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks for all your quick responses.

From what I gather from your responses, there really is no opportunity to try your luck with the cop not turning up without foregoing the opportunity for a plea bargain with the prosecutor.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM

It seems like that unfortunately. In other words they line you up for the cashiers window first. Other than to claim you are going on a mission to Antartica and want to have a trial when you come back in a few years, lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,667,962 times
Quote:
so the first time you show up at court the cop usually isn't there at all
They never are scheduled as that appearance is called just that "First Appearance" where you will be advised of the charge, the possible fines and/or license suspensions. Think of it as a Arraignment.

Then the court will accept your plea. If you plead "Not Guilty", then the case will be scheduled. At that point you will have the opportunity to gather any defense you will present at the hearing.

If you plead "Guilty" the fines will be entered into the record. Depending on the court you will be advised if time payments are available or other options for payment. In the case of a license suspension your dl will be taken and a temp issued for that day. THAT is in the case of serious offenses and of course this is in the case of a mandatory court appearance as many can be settled beforehand.

Quote:
no opportunity to try your luck with the cop
He/she has no ability to modify any charge entered into the court at this point. He can ask the Prosecutor to RECOMMEND to the Judge who can decide to move forward or drop the case or modify the charge. Nothing is sure as each judge and each court is a different world. I've made recommendations that a judge would not agree to and moved forward with the case. There is NO set procedure on how they will go with any case.

What I have seen is someone plead NG and then come in with absolutely no defense of some off the wall idea to win. that goes over like a lead balloon. Mose judges hate having their time wasted.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM

Depending on what or how serious your ticket is makes some difference. For instance if you get a speeding ticket that is more than 2 points they usually offer to knock it down to the lowest class, a 2 point one. Sometimes, VERY seldom, you can get something reduced to some non-point ticket that doesn't show up at all, like obstructing traffic, no points, but again that is very seldom, they usually say no to that. Otherwise they like to run the rest through the "unsafe driving special". BTW you can only get 2 of those "unsafe" deals in 5 or 10 years, maybe 5 years. They expect you to know how many you have. If you go for a 3rd you get 4 points when it processes. In other words you have to wait a few years to use those up again, then again maybe only once every 5 years after that.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM

What I've got is a 39:4–124 Improper turn from approved turning course ticket (in NJ). Carries a fine of $85 and 3 points (which is the worrisome part). Looks to me like that there isn't much I can defend against unlike a speeding ticket. I did not want to pay upfront due to the points ( has no prior citations).As per the guidelines in the ticket, I called the MC and pleaded Not Guilty upon which they assigned a court date.

In this scenario, do I have to bring up the "unsafe driving special", when I show up there or will it be offered to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey