Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

In response to idea of moving to Ewing, NJ. I strongly suggest you investigate the taxes in this area -- really outrageous increases even with an attempt to lower taxes. You might reconsider moving to NJ at all!! Move across the river to PA if you possibly can.

You might also consider the concept of "neighborhood" when thinking about this area of NJ. I thought that I had purchased a home in a "neighborhood" but recently learned that some people evidently have decided to continually patrol neighborhood streets in groups to watch for gang activity. I suppose that is one way to fight crime but it is not the atmosphere that creates the feeling of home. I am very disappointed by these developments and would caution about putting your life savings into this type of situation. It may be that the more exclusive areas of Ewing are fine but then, it would appear that areas of lower income are facing the loss of value of their homes due to fear.

P.S. The 1M in overtime that has been granted police may have some impact on how this situation has developed. Again, taxes are very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,962,062 times
I would not send my children to Ewing schools. There are better places for you to go.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,939 times
I would also think twice about Ewing...I would also suggest considering Newtown PA, just over the border

Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,101,544 times
If you do not have kids, Ewing is fine depending on the section. The Trenton border is not recommended but other than that, it is not a bad place. Only thing is that the taxes are a little high but I guess it evens itself out since the real estate is a little cheaper out there. If you are looking for Condos, there are plently of newer developments out there.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Excuse me. I don't apperciate people downgrading ewing. Just because some kids are bad around the ewing area doesnt me all of them are. I personally, am a student in these ewing public schools, and i don't like how you PEOPLE are saying that it is so bad there, I wouldn't send my child there. Well, my mom did. Does that make me a bad student? no, i have a 3.5 gpa and am planning on going to college! Just because your kid will be attending a preppy school, or some nice school in a nice area you believe they are getting a better education? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!, next time watch what you say about places. Yes, you have an opinion, but and opinion is strongly heard and people listen to those opinions and they try to make them a fact, and they are not. JUST like saying ewing is a bad place.Thank you,I have now expressed my opinion and i plan on proving YOU PEOPLE wrong, and growing up to be 10 times better then you people with yes, thats right an education from EWING!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,040 times
I lived in Ewing for 6 years - left 2 years ago - I lived in a nice section of large homes on big lots near the College of NJ - good area but not too far from gang shootings up on Olden Ave. - very close to the bloods in Trenton - the schools are not good compared to the surrounding towns - the big consensus was that if you live in Ewing and if you could afford it - you go to private school -

Taxes are very high and you get nothing for your money - very corrupt - was on the list of "distressed towns" not sure if it is still on that list. The local Shop Rite supermarket had a guard in it - what does that tell you?

There was not one park in town where there was a paved path where I could use my stroller - I had to go to Hamilton to find a park to take my kids to - pathetic!

Also watch out for airport noise in some areas.
Some neighborhoods are plagued by unruly college students - the type that urinate on your lawn.
Hamilton is a much better town and the home prices reflect that.
Nearby Lawrenceville and expensive Hopewell are better also.
Since you are so close to the bridge you might as well go to PA - MUCH lower property taxes and car insurance

Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,957,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somepeople007 View Post
Excuse me. I don't apperciate people downgrading ewing. Just because some kids are bad around the ewing area doesnt me all of them are. I personally, am a student in these ewing public schools, and i don't like how you PEOPLE are saying that it is so bad there, I wouldn't send my child there. Well, my mom did. Does that make me a bad student? no, i have a 3.5 gpa and am planning on going to college! Just because your kid will be attending a preppy school, or some nice school in a nice area you believe they are getting a better education? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!, next time watch what you say about places. Yes, you have an opinion, but and opinion is strongly heard and people listen to those opinions and they try to make them a fact, and they are not. JUST like saying ewing is a bad place.Thank you,I have now expressed my opinion and i plan on proving YOU PEOPLE wrong, and growing up to be 10 times better then you people with yes, thats right an education from EWING!
Don't take anything said on this thread personally. People are just talking real estate.

It is no comment on you. You sound like a smart, young person with an awesome attitude and I have no doubt that you will do very well in life.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,101,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I lived in Ewing for 6 years - left 2 years ago - I lived in a nice section of large homes on big lots near the College of NJ - good area but not too far from gang shootings up on Olden Ave. - very close to the bloods in Trenton - the schools are not good compared to the surrounding towns - the big consensus was that if you live in Ewing and if you could afford it - you go to private school -

Taxes are very high and you get nothing for your money - very corrupt - was on the list of "distressed towns" not sure if it is still on that list. The local Shop Rite supermarket had a guard in it - what does that tell you?

There was not one park in town where there was a paved path where I could use my stroller - I had to go to Hamilton to find a park to take my kids to - pathetic!

Also watch out for airport noise in some areas.
Some neighborhoods are plagued by unruly college students - the type that urinate on your lawn.
Hamilton is a much better town and the home prices reflect that.
Nearby Lawrenceville and expensive Hopewell are better also.
Since you are so close to the bridge you might as well go to PA - MUCH lower property taxes and car insurance
I am another one that has to agree with the tax issue. I own investment property in Ewing and boy do I cry everytime I get the tax bills. I have no idea where the money goes. I am paying $6000 a year on condos! WHY???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey