Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:18 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,855 times

Advertisements

How is Ewing township, as far as schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
How is Ewing township, as far as schools?
I don't know anything more than what I've read here and what I've seen here is that some of trenton's problems are beginning to spill over to ewing, to me that's a huge warning flag.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 AM

276 posts, read 747,419 times
yes. the demographic change has been huge. i was born in ewing, raised in ewing, and fled to notre dame high school in lawrenceville in 9th grade, as i was harassed constantly.

trenton is def. spilling over. i would avoid ewing. i went to ewing high only 1 year, and it was rough THEN--in 1989. i attended 10th grade. kids at fischer were scared of going to ewing, cause of all the gang riots from trenton.

avoid. the homes are too cheap in trenton, so its easy for residents there to move to ewing. additionally, i went to antheil. so i went thru the entire system. about 70 / 30 white / black ratio THEN. yet by th time i left, it was more like 55/45 and growing.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM

91 posts, read 455,425 times
I have lived in Ewing and have a son who attended Ewing elementary schools for 2 years. There are some really good teachers there I have to say. However, the class size is very high and they do not offer gifted and talented until 3rd grade. I have looked into private schools and the prices are outrageous. A friend of mine subbed in Ewing and Trenton high schools and said Ewing was worse. My best advice research!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,822 times
I graduated from EHS in 2000, spent all 13 years in the Ewing School system. I obviously don't know what it's been like in the past 7 years (I, too have heard some of Trenton's problems are starting to spill over into Ewing), but I never understood all the nonsense about Ewing being a bad place to raise your kids. Yes, I've also heard the stories of student teachers from TCNJ who refused to come teach at Ewing because it was "too dangerous." Once again, I don't know what it's been like in the past 7 years, but even as a youngster I always thought our poor reputation was very undeserved. Ewing has some excellent teachers, although I admit I may be biased since I was almost always in the gifted & honors classes. I never saw any violence beyond typical schoolyard fights between kids who had some sort of grudge, and never witnessed any overt gang violence on campus. I always admired the fact that in Ewing schools everyone got along (for the most part) regardless of race or income. I have to give the "I haven't lived there in 7 years" disclaimer once more (moved away for college and now med school), but during my 13 years, perception and reality were vastly different. It's funny you mention Ewing being worse than Trenton, there's been student-athletes afraid to go to Trenton schools for sporting events for as long as I can remember. Who knows, maybe it has changed that much.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,316 times
Ewing is a town going downn - it has had HUGE increases in taxes and you get nothing for it. There are gang shootings on Olden Ave. It is on the list of "distressed cities" - I have heard the elementary schools are O.K. but once kids get to middle school it is dangerous.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,973 times
Not a good school system but there are some nice areas to live in the town.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Not a good school system but there are some nice areas to live in the town.
like was posted, ewing is in trouble, a lot of the urban issues that afflict trenton are spilling into ewing and that doesn't bode well, making an investment in ewing wold not be advised

Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,453 times
to the OP...the schools are pretty bad for the tax dollars spent. You can do much better elsewhere.

Observations of the passing scene:

I am no longer a ewing resident but lived there in the 60's thru the 90s . I attended the school system as did my son. Ewing is the best example I can pesonally speak to that shows what happens when the low life element moves in and political correctness is allowed to run wild.

Ewing HAD an excellent school system. Students regularlly competed in and won or scored high in the NJ Academic bowl etc. Ewing WAS on par with all the other schools in the Mercer county area. The 60s saw the entry of the civil rights movement championed of course by Dr. King. It was long over due IMHO but as usual the focus was on obtaining equal results; instead of Kings message of equal opportunity. Predominatly black sections soon had neighborhood community centers being built even though they where nicer and more expensive neighborhoods than some low income white sections. The high school began to permit "black only" gatherings in the auditorium during normal school hours so students "of color" could discuss in private, issues that "only they" could understand. Tensions began to increase and I was glad to get out of there...1967. While I was away at collage the Trenton riots happened. By the time my son was in midddle school great world explorers such as Magellian,Cook,Pounce De Leon etc. weren't even mentioned. Thomas Edison got a two line mention in the text book. (Yes I actually read thru it myself). On the other hand though the class spent an entire month on black history month reading up on people with little or no real contribution to America. They were each assigned a person to research and each gave a verbal report in front of the class. Nothing wrong with that per se but how come the Wright brothers didn't qualify for a mention sometime in the school year ??
By the time my son got out of Ewing High the night time held school talent show had devolved into a hip hop gangster wannabe feast. Extra cops were on hand to keep the peace during intermission. It was very clear to myself and every other concerned parent there that we were watching the death of what had been a nice middle class area. Even the gifted and talented programs came under the scrutiny of the PC police who added students so as to provide "diversity" in even the highest level math classes...at the expense of course of the students who actually should have been attending classes at that level.
That was 8 years ago. Me and mine long ago got out of there. I still talk regularly with people that live near the high school. Mind you, there are no rows of homes with plywood on the windows, there are no drunks hanging out on the door stoops, no corners with hookers etc..none of that...yet. There is in fact no evidence of any poverty of any sort; which is so often pointed to as a reason for all the bad things in bad neighborhoods. But there are regularr fights, robberies, break ins, and no one is particularlly surprised to hear gun shots at night.

I'll give the area another 10 to 15 years or so and then middle aged white dudes such as myself can get blamed by the usual liberal apologists for causing all of that "white flight".

Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
IYB

6 posts, read 12,942 times
Sounds like a fairly common overheard observation. The label "racist" is usually applied shortly afterward to those with the nerve to actually say it aloud. Be warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey