Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,303 times

Advertisements

Perth Amboy is still a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,749 times
They are doing to Perth Amboy the same thing they did to New Brunswick. The future of it looks very good.

We took my grandmother to a restaurant on the waterfront about 8 years ago and the view from the window was beautiful. I haven't driven over to the waterfront in years, but after googling some pics of it now I'm curious. It really is starting to look very nice.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Absolutely wrong. Arthur Kill comes from the Dutch achter kill, meaning back channel. It was named centuries ago, long before there was a landfill on Staten Island.

And I don't know what century that poster is in, but I live near the beach and I haven't seen any medical waste and tampons washing up there lately!

I do commute, though, and Perth Amboy looks pretty dumpy, at least from trackside.
Actually there are TONS of places in NY, even upstate, with the word kill in them, like Peekskill, Catskills etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Perth Amboy is still a dump.
No its not once again ur attacking Urban Jersey for no reason.....stop it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No its not once again ur attacking Urban Jersey for no reason.....stop it.
Hahahahaa

I once dated a girl from Woodbridge who was born in Perth Amboy and moved to Woodbridge and called Perth Amboy a craphole.

I don't care, it is coming back. Look at New Brunswick and that's the future of Perth Amboy. Only problem is it doesn't have a major state college to survive.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 AM

429 posts, read 932,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Actually there are TONS of places in NY, even upstate, with the word kill in them, like Peekskill, Catskills etc.
That reads to me like you'd be disagreeing with the poster, but they didn't say anything that suggested there are not other places in this area named "kill". Since "kill" (also spelled "kil" or "kille") is a general Dutch word for all kinds of "channels" in the sense of a water channels, and this area has a significant Dutch history--and of course, lots of rivers, creeks, streams, etc., there are going to be a lot of places with "kill" as part of the name. The Catskills were named for "Cat Creek", or "Kaatskil". Peekskill for Peeck's Kil, or "Peeck's Creek (or Stream)" (Jan Peeck was the first New Amsterdam resident to make contact with the Indians in the area.)

Nevertheless, the poster was right about the origin of the name "Arthur Kill", and the other poster was wrong about "Arthur Kill" being named that because of some connection to Fresh Kills. The only connection is that both Arthur Kill and Fresh Kills have the names they do because they're names of, or named for water channels.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 AM

196 posts, read 780,069 times
Thanks for all the replies I just put a offer on a house in Perth Amboy,lets see how it goes

Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM

293 posts, read 720,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Thanks for all the replies I just put a offer on a house in Perth Amboy,lets see how it goes
...I feel that you may have rushed your decision. I'm sure that you could have found something equally good, with the same budget, in Woodbridge township. Nonetheless, I hope that everything goes well and that you enjoy your new home in New Jersey.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:31 PM

37 posts, read 136,209 times
Where is the location? Waterfront, side streets off the business area or outskirting to Keasbey or other side near exit to Staten Island.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM

196 posts, read 780,069 times
The home is on Elizabeth st near Hall,i checked out the area a couple of times in the day,night and it seemed pretty quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey