Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,208 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I just moved out here. I love the place so far but wanted to know a few things:

Is there an address I can fill in my GPS that will take me to a Waterfront park for picnics, walks, jogs etc?

Is there a long trail that's really recommended for running?

Are there any good, affordable and safe night clubs?

Since I am from Tejas, are there any good Mexican restaurants?

I live about a couple miles from Woodbridge Center Mall

Thanks a lot my NJ friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
You could take the train south to Red Bank , South Amboy , or Asbury Park where there are alot of things to do. Perth Amboy is just coming out of its neglected state , anything big is 10 years away at least in the city itself.....

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I'm with Nexis--drive over the Driscoll Bridge. Monmouth County has tons of parks, waterfront and other--a mile long boardwalk for running in Long Branch along the ocean. You've got Cheesequake State Park around Exit 120.

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of waterfront park right in Perth Amboy, though. My sister is a nurse at a day-care home for adults with mental and physical challenges, and she accompanied them to some Perth Amboy park on the water last year, if I recall correctly.

Red Bank's good for some nightlife, as Nexis said. There are also a few places in Long Branch, a couple of places with music. Some bars in Highlands, like On The Deck, that's waterfront.

Mexican, you're on your own. It's not my favorite, though I like some things. I'm just not an expert on what's considered "good". To me, Mexican food all tastes pretty much the same. It just comes in different shapes with slight variations in ingredients.

I did have some at a Red Bank place called Senor Peppers, though. And there are Mexicans in Red Bank, so maybe it's authentic. I don't know.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times
Perth Amboy is one of those places that could be thrown into the "looks ghetto but really not that dangerous" bucket. It is on the upswing though. Take a ride to the waterfront there, it is beautiful. Me and mine went to the Barge there for Valentine's day. South Amboy is also really nice now too and hands down safer. I drove through there last week and was really surprised about how nice they fixed up the main street there.

What sort of clubs are you looking at? There are a handfull of places in Woodbridge, but not very appealing to me personally, mostly preppy, flashy types of clubs like Chris Michaels. There is a Shannon Rose Pub on Rt 35, Rug's & Riffy's on Rahway Ave, and the J.J. Bitting beer brewery on Main St next to the police station (don't drive drunk!)

For Mexican food, there is the Jose Tejas place on Rt 1 next to the mall. There is a big sign that just says "EAT" with an arrow pointing to the place. Ate there a few times and it was pretty good.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times
I live in Perth Amboy.

If you want Mexican food go to Garibaldi's on 287 Smith Street. Smith Street has other real authentic Mexican restaurants (not that Jose Tejas, Baja Fresh type) really good Mexican food.

It's a nice town and it has gone through an upswing.

The downtown is nice and grocery stores sell Mexican food products in case you were wondering.

If you want to live IN Perth Amboy there is Federal Hill and Harbortown Sails. Also try the western section of Perth Amboy (west of Rt. 35).

I don't know your budget but the aforementioned apartments are nice but are about $1800 (sometimes less) for 2 br. but it includes everything.

It's not a bad place to be.

The waterfront has concerts by the bay every sunday afternoon which is a free live orchestra. It is the waterfront's park, BayView Park.

Any other additional info please IM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey