Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,636,724 times

Advertisements

Ok..I listed a dryer on craigslist yesterday and received a response today. How do I tell if it's fake or not??? Everything craigslist shows as "examples" of fraud pretty much covers any email you might get? The guy said he's in Ohio but will mail a check and then send his movers out to pick it up? Not sure I believe him..
Any advise from seasoned craigslisters???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 AM

72 posts, read 309,496 times
It sounds suspicious to me - why wouldn't the guy look for a dryer in his area? I'm curious how this turns out because I have stuff I need to list but keep holding back because you always hear strange stories about Craig's list.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee1967 View Post
It sounds suspicious to me - why wouldn't the guy look for a dryer in his area? I'm curious how this turns out because I have stuff I need to list but keep holding back because you always hear strange stories about Craig's list.
The more I read, the more he sounds like a scammer! "Is in Ohio now..wants me to take the dryer off of craigslist...wants my name, address, tel and cell... will mail check and have movers pick up the dryer". I'm going to send an email saying in-person with cash only.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Here's his email....
its nice to read from you....i wish i could come and take a look at it but am on a business trip to Ohio,which i will be back by next week...well am OK with the price,cos am really interested in buying from you,i will like you to withdraw the advert on net because i am buying from you,I will be paying with a check,as for the pick up i will instruct my mover's to come for the pick-up as soon as you have your payment.If this is OK with you get me the following information,Your full name to be on the check,Your postal address.Your phone number both land and mobile and Your postal code.Get me this as soon as possible,
Thanks.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM

87 posts, read 352,315 times
Be wary of this kind of thing--he'll mail you a check for more than you agreed on, he'll ask you to send him the difference, and the check will be bad. Craigslist always advises to do business locally whenever possible. Good luck--and be careful. I'm sure you can find a local buyer.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 AM

831 posts, read 2,440,964 times
I live in Florida but have posted quite a few things on Craigs List for Sale. I had a couple people that just inquired but majority were real. I would ask for their phone number if they were interested and didn't give out my address until after I spoke to them and felt assured they were not scammers.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 99,859 times
This sounds really fishy - you might not even want this person to know where you live. Craigslist is a great place to buy and sell but it also attracts a slime factor. Best to be on the safe side.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I live in Florida but have posted quite a few things on Craigs List for Sale. I had a couple people that just inquired but majority were real. I would ask for their phone number if they were interested and didn't give out my address until after I spoke to them and felt assured they were not scammers.
I sent a response back stating that it must be an "in-person" and with "cash" transaction. We'll see what he says.

2,179 posts, read 6,725,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Here's his email....
its nice to read from you....i wish i could come and take a look at it but am on a business trip to Ohio,which i will be back by next week...well am OK with the price,cos am really interested in buying from you,i will like you to withdraw the advert on net because i am buying from you,I will be paying with a check,as for the pick up i will instruct my mover's to come for the pick-up as soon as you have your payment.If this is OK with you get me the following information,Your full name to be on the check,Your postal address.Your phone number both land and mobile and Your postal code.Get me this as soon as possible,
Thanks.
Wiley, it's a scam. I am selling some stuff on CL before I move and have had a few of those emails.

72 posts, read 309,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Here's his email....
Thanks.
This definitely sounds like a scam. I remember reading somewhere not to deal with personal checks on Craigs list - cash or money orders only. Great - now I'm going to hold off again posting on Craigs list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey