Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 71,849 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Need a little advice. I'm trying to sell a double stroller on craigslist. I specifically said cash but i got a reply from one buyer.

See below.

"I was told by my assistant that your item is still for sale,i would have love to come and see it,but my scheduled is very tight.I will mail out your payment once you provide your full name.phone number and address.I can only pay via money order as am on a business trip now,pls let me know where to send your payment to because i wouldn't want to lose it to some else.I don't mind adding ($50) dollars so you can keep it in my favor,you should get your payment in 4-5 working days i will appreciate if you can get the ad off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.Please let me know as soon as you receive it so i can start making arrangement for the pick-up.
Thanks "

This is a scam right? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I would assume that this is a scam, as you have surmised. The part about "adding $50" to the money order is a pretty strong indicator of a scam artist. When the scammer arrives to pick up the merchandise, he/she will ask for the return of their extra $50.

By the time that the bank finds out that the money order is a fake, you will have lost your merchandise and will also lose the full amount of the money order, as you will have been the one who "passed a bad check", so to speak.

My advice is to tell this person that you are only interested in a cash deal. That should help to filter out this scammer and others.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Yeah, I agree.

Also, no need to let anyone off CL know where you live or even your full name. Since it's a stroller, meet at a Starbucks or something for anyone interested.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 71,849 times
Yeah. I got another reply sort of like the first. Thanks. Moving on.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
The whole thing is fishy.

"I was told by my assistant that your item is still for sale,i would have love to come and see it,but my scheduled is very tight.I will mail out your payment once you provide your full name.phone number and address.I can only pay via money order as am on a business trip now,pls let me know where to send your payment to because i wouldn't want to lose it to some else.I don't mind adding ($50) dollars so you can keep it in my favor,you should get your payment in 4-5 working days i will appreciate if you can get the ad off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.Please let me know as soon as you receive it so i can start making arrangement for the pick-up.
Thanks "

First of all, the whole "I was told by my assistant that your item is still for sale..." --what is that? This person can't see for him/herself online? He/she needs an assistant to tell him/her that? He/she obviously has an internet connection and has time not only to browse to your ad on Craigslist, but to also reply to your ad, so this "my assistant" bit is a bunch of B.S. to try to convince you about the "I'm away on a business trip" and "my schedule is very tight" part of the story.

Second of all, why can't this person just have his/her assistant or whomever bring cash when he/she is coming to your home for the pick-up? If this were for real...I'm away on a business trip, my schedule is really tight, and I'm desperate to buy your double stroller...I wouldn't waste time going someplace to fill out a money order. I would tell my assistant to bring cash to your house right away and pick up the merchandise, and I'll reimburse him/her when I get back from my trip.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

101 posts, read 460,325 times
this involves him getting you to deposit the money order, ship the item to him. A week or so later, the bank will come to you saying the money order was a fake. sometimes you will get a money order for way more than the item is worth, and they will ask you to money order some of it back for some reason. In the end you lose the item or some of you $

Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
I think 99% of Craigslist is a scam I tried selling rims and I kept getting crap like that. They said they would give me an extra 100$ to hold them they wanted to use a money order I was emailed several times the same scam like emails. I can't explain it like it was written down but it was a scam like the stroller thing. There are better ways to sell stuff C-list is not the best place to.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
scam,, they also ask for your bank account number to put the money in!!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
To help avoid the scam jerks, request the interested person call you and state that you won't answer emails. (Don't provide your email in your ad.) I've seen some people do that; maybe it helps.

It's easier for idiots to send emails; you would probably hear the other scammers in the call room, they won't call you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworkingmom View Post
Hello.

Need a little advice. I'm trying to sell a double stroller on craigslist. I specifically said cash but i got a reply from one buyer.

See below.

Thanks "

This is a scam right? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Classic scam starts with the words..."is the item still for sale?"
CL is a hit or miss situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey