Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM

5 posts, read 30,479 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Our home search is down to two communities Cambridge Heights in Nutley or Cambridge Crossings in Clifton. It seems that the prices in Crossings are a bit lower, but there is more of a community and life in Heights. Any thoughts or advice? We are moving from Hoboken and not really ready ready for the burbs yet, so we though either one of these communities would be a good transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
They're both in very suburban areas. You would be better in Montclair. If you care to share your budget. some people may have some other ideas.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:17 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
I'd say both are still way overpriced and thus a sellers market for these specific units. Nutley taxes are insanely high (Essex Co.) and the units in Clifton have had some construction integrity issues (i.e. leaks, etc). My relative owns/rents out her unit there. Procede with caution on these units. The brokers and community reps make them sound like they are the best thing since sliced bread. I know b/c I went to open houses at them back in the day. The locations are OK and the units look "nice" but all that glitters is not gold.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 30,479 times
I realise that they might be overpriced but I reseached it enough to find some pretty good deals (even for those complex). However, my main question is about community life there. It seems that the Nutley (C. Heights) complex is livelier (ie people walking on sidewalks, riding bikes, etc). For those that have experience in Cambridge crossing, do you have a sense of community living there? Have you made friends and met new people through various gatherings while you lived there?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Nutley is def. more upscale than Clifton (as a city). A nice downtown and the linear park along the small creek to jog, cycle, and rollerblade. I would surmise that the Nutley one is younger/more active by a small notch. Keep in mind the taxes.

Also IIRC the pre-construction, post 9/11 prices of Clifton units far exceeded those of post-construction, pre-9/11 'comps' at Nutley.I am trying to demonstrate the rapid escalation of property values here (with Nutley said to be the preferred location by some prospective buyers I met).

Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Definitely Cambridge Heights in Nutley. Nutley has so much more to offer than Clifton. Taxes are high yes as other have said.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM

If I was going to pursue one of these units I'd get a home inspector who really knew his stuff (and of concerns w/these units). Someone "neutral" not suggested by your agent/broker. I'd even walk throught the whole process with them too. Be careful, good luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
If I was going to pursue one of these units I'd get a home inspector who really knew his stuff (and of concerns w/these units). Someone "neutral" not suggested by your agent/broker. I'd even walk throught the whole process with them too. Be careful, good luck.
Good advice!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
My personal opinion as far as the two towns go...Nutley hands down. However, keep in mind that the price of townhomes and homes in Cambridge Heights is astronomical and people in there have been known to pay approx. $11,00.00 just in taxes. Yes, you read it correctly. We had looked there when they were going for $150,000 a handful of years ago. They're starting at 4-something now. For that, not worth it in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
I lived in Cambridge Heights (Nutley) for 2 years and I really loved that townhome! It is very family oriented with lots of young people as well. Very quiet, I never had any problems with any of the neighbors. The pool gets quite crowded usually after noon in the summer on weekends and the gym is nothing to write home about (unless they have updated it). OTher than that, you can't beat the location. There is are 2 great gyms nearby (Signature and NYSC), the shopping center is right across the street, the bus to NYC stops right at the gate on River Road and the train station is a 15 minute walk away.

The Cambridge comple in Clifton has a totally different vibe. I dated someone who lived in there and all I can say is it did not feel very neighborly there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey