Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM

10 posts, read 22,084 times

Advertisements

I wasn't part of the "vote" UKOK mentioned but I certainly found out new curious things about Moorestown that I didn't know before. Not sure why so many people felt the need to defend the honor of Alpine with such passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Is anyone in their right mind comparing Moorestown to Alpine?
Moorestown is a nice town in Pennsylvania, um, I mean south Jersey. Alpine is lifestyle of the rich and famous.
All kidding aside, Moorestown is a few steps below (we are talking prestige/snob factor), lets say, Mendham or Basking Ridge.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Actually nobody found it interesting. We took a vote on it earlier.
OMG!! Can't stop laughing. Thanks and reps to you.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Yes Folks, not only is Alpine a "rich" place, but it's also "diverse"! There are black folks living in Alpine. 14.... to be exact! Chris Rock and family, Mary J. Blige and family and last but not least, Jay-Z and family. And here I thought Alpine had "nothing" in common with Paterson and Newark! LOL BTW, according to Chris Rock, his next-door neighbor is a dentist. So all he has to do is walk a few hundred feet to see the dentist. My, life is certainly convienient when you're rich! I'd like to try it sometime!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 23,033 times
Default Golden Apples vs. Oranges

To sum this conversation up, comparing Alpine to Moorestown is comparing a golden apple to an orange. And again, I'm not derogating Moorestown but putting the housing debate aside; the shopping, dining and cultural experience is lackluster. Moorestown does not offer the opulent lifestyle. Despite the fact that Northern Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, and Connecticut having New York metro area boutique shopping besides that of Manhattan, they have luxury department stores. Does Moorestown? No, forget about the boutiques, the closest Saks and Neiman Marcus for Moorestown is where? Bala Cynwyd and King of Prussia, PA. Where are the renowned restaurants? None and not even upscale chains like Morton's Steakhouse. Lastly, where is the culture?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yes Folks, not only is Alpine a "rich" place, but it's also "diverse"! There are black folks living in Alpine. 14.... to be exact! Chris Rock and family, Mary J. Blige and family and last but not least, Jay-Z and family. And here I thought Alpine had "nothing" in common with Paterson and Newark! LOL BTW, according to Chris Rock, his next-door neighbor is a dentist. So all he has to do is walk a few hundred feet to see the dentist. My, life is certainly convienient when you're rich! I'd like to try it sometime!
Mary J. Blige Saddle River. Like I said before just what I want to live next to in my mansion, a bunch of rap stars. Damn give me Bernardsville anyday.

By the way its not the color its the rapper/gansta mentality I dont want to live next door to.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 228,772 times
Stevemorse and Theemissary...NJ is diverse no matter where you go, period. My brother (black man) lives in saddle river (not a rapper, gansta person, or athlete) and we have friends in Alpine too (down the street from Chris on Margo Way) and Fort lee, NJ. Naming the people that live in Alpine from a Chris Rock stand up on HBO just shows that you don't really know the area or the people that live there.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheesesteak View Post
Stevemorse and Theemissary...NJ is diverse no matter where you go, period. My brother (black man) lives in saddle river (not a rapper, gansta person, or athlete) and we have friends in Alpine too (down the street from Chris on Margo Way) and Fort lee, NJ. Naming the people that live in Alpine from a Chris Rock stand up on HBO just shows that you don't really know the area or the people that live there.
philly - That's quite true! And that is exactly where I got that info from! It seems to me that from my 53 years of living in NJ, black middle-class and upper middle class folks are nearly invisible. Surprisingly, here in NC, there seems to be a plethora of middle-class blacks that seem to be more successfully integrated into neighborhoods than I ever experienced in NJ.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheesesteak View Post
I would have no problem living next door to your brother. I would have a problem living next door to 50cent., snoop, biggy smalls and you got the point.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
philly - That's quite true! And that is exactly where I got that info from! It seems to me that from my 53 years of living in NJ, black middle-class and upper middle class folks are nearly invisible. Surprisingly, here in NC, there seems to be a plethora of middle-class blacks that seem to be more successfully integrated into neighborhoods than I ever experienced in NJ.
I agree. To support your claim even furthur, there are also alot of upper-middle to upper class Hispanic families in Texas and Florida. But I think this has to do with the high population of each group within each respective state. NC has a higher AA population than NJ. The same can be said about the number of Hispanics living in FL/TX vs NJ.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 01-11-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey