Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,566 times

Advertisements

Alright im only 16, but i love my city i always been livin in, Hackensack, but i wonder if when i leave to college in Newark (rutgers) i know i would have to leave Hackensack.

So i know i would NOT want to live in Newark, but i know people in Bayonne who say its good and has great rent in that specific area. But when you grow up and have a family and gain money do you have a desire to go back to your hometown and live there again? where ever it is

Just a thought, because my whole life is here, and i dont care what you people think of hackensack. i love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:08 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,961 times
No, honestly I would never live there again. I will visit, go to church all the way up there, get my pastries and go to a local restaurants. Unfortunately places change and it's not always for the better. But, I also wouldn't put it down. It's where I'm from. I just think that as you grow up and do better in life, you want better for yourself and someday for your family.

Nothing wrong with that.
You are young now. As you go to college, learn about other people, cultures and places, you may find that there is something out there you don't have where you live. Then again, maybe not.
I don't know your town but never say never.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 PM

148 posts, read 639,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Alright im only 16, but i love my city i always been livin in, Hackensack, but i wonder if when i leave to college in Newark (rutgers) i know i would have to leave Hackensack.

So i know i would NOT want to live in Newark, but i know people in Bayonne who say its good and has great rent in that specific area. But when you grow up and have a family and gain money do you have a desire to go back to your hometown and live there again? where ever it is

Just a thought, because my whole life is here, and i dont care what you people think of hackensack. i love it.
i was born in newark and raised there until i was about 15. I still have family there (all of whom plan to move down south in the near future). I was always really against moving back there (part of me wants to help the city and feels guilty that i dont want to be apart of it but uh in my time there a girl got shot in the back of her head across the street from where i lived in the new community housing, my best friend's cousin was shot to death of the steps of his home about 10 min from where i lived on hansbury ave...my sister got her chain snatched off her neck and my aunt sat in her car during a shoot out in front of my home) nope not going back...the rest of my life i have lived in linden which i dont hate but dont love..so im not looking to grow old and raise a family here... im young, not as young as you, but young nonetheless so i have alot of time to decide where i want to grow old

Old 07-06-2008, 09:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
I'm torn about ever moving back to my home town (in South Jersey).

On one hand, my Grandmom was born & raised there, and still lives there. My Dad was born & raised there, and my parents still live there. It is an older town with a history, and my great grandfather was a prominent figure in the development of the town. Some of the homes are still beautiful, over 100 years old.

On the other hand, whenever I visit I am heartbroken by the things that have changed. And I'm only in my 30's. Areas that used to be farmland or woods are now developments or strip malls. Some areas seem a little sketchy now, with an element living there that never lived there in my day. And the traffic: my old ride from my parents' house to the mall that used to be 10 minutes is now at least a half-hour.

When I was college age, I never dreamed the area could change so much, to be nearly unrecognizable. But it has changed. I think I'd rather not live there, and just remember it as it was, since it my memory it will never change.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I grew up in NJ, and raised my kids there until 2002. They cried when when were transferred to FL, and for the first three years, somebody was always flying up to see friends. No tears when we left FL for GA from anyone. We have family and friends in NJ, and my boys still think of it as a magical place that has a beach, skiing, lots of shopping, and great memories. But, none of them has any interest in attending college there, and except for one family that we see as a group, there aren't any reasons to go back. We've done well, but I know the real estate prices in NJ are still high, and the taxes are much higher than GA. So...it's a nice place to visit, but...

Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM

103 posts, read 327,343 times
I spent my entire life until age 25 in Bridgeton, NJ dying to get out. I've been in Ocala, FL ever since (2001) and while I have absolutley NO intereste in EVER moving back to NJ EVER, I am visiting my kids there this week and leaving FL for Henderson, NV next month. Home is what you make of it, my entire family was raised in Bridgeton including my kids who are still there. I will visit from time to time (it took me 7 years away to get homesick enough for a visit) but for me it just didn't feel like home anymore when I was there last. I was uncomfortable and felt akward anytime anyone recognized me or said hello. It's not NJ, it's me...I'm not the same screwed up girl who left NJ looking for something better. I'm a grown up who realizes that your location, no matter where it happens to be does not make you who you are, but who you are makes your location feel like home. I don't expect this next visit to Bridgeton to be any more comfortable and I still expect to feel akward around family that I shouldn't feel akward around, but like I said it's not them, it's me. I'm not the same girl anymore and going back to NJ feels more like a chore than a vacation.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
Newark is not very far away. What on earth would make someone think that would qualify as "leaving home" when they already live within 20 miles.

Very interesting tonight.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM

16 posts, read 90,802 times
My hometown is Waldwick NJ, It was a great town to grow up in, I had an awesome childhood, I am and still live in the area, but will not move back to Waldwick. Going down the Tubers. Tons and tons of illegal's are inflitrating the town. My parents are crushed, that their home values aren't going anywhere and worry about their future.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Nope- I grew up in Avenel, and you couldn't pay me to move back. What was once a nice, blue-collar town where everyone knew their neighbors, is now a run-down area with little to show for the past 30 years. There's plenty of other places in the world.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 AM

148 posts, read 639,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Newark is not very far away. What on earth would make someone think that would qualify as "leaving home" when they already live within 20 miles.

Very interesting tonight.

Whenever you post on anyones thread it is most likely some negative remark or questioning someones reasoning or just completely unnecessary. I wont explain myself to you b/c it has become clear that where ever you are in this world you are miserable and have nothing better to offer to a public forum than the misery that is your life. Cheer up! Its not that deep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey