Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,513 times

Advertisements

I was born in NJ but I was raised in SW Florida. I just went back up to visit some friends and family in North Jersey, Union City/Jersey City area and I loved it! I want to move back by the end of the year. I'm looking into finishing my Masters at John Jay in NY.

My question is. Where is a good area to live in North Jersey? I heard Union City and Jersey City were both really ghetto now. When I was up there, however, I saw really nice area's and a beautiful view of the NY City skyline. I don't want to live in the ghetto or any "bad" areas.

As a single mom, could you suggest some good areas for me and some good elementary schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM

327 posts, read 1,051,814 times
if you dont mind not being on the Hudson come out to Somerset county, good schools, nice houses and apartments...yea...otherwise Hoboken, maybe Wehawken

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,713,193 times
Be prepared to pay high rent compared to Florida. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,415,169 times
This all depends greatly on your budget- do you have one in mind?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,773,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
if you dont mind not being on the Hudson come out to Somerset county, good schools, nice houses and apartments...yea...otherwise Hoboken, maybe Wehawken

I second Somerset County.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM

53 posts, read 203,071 times
Live in Monmouth County, great beaches, bars, school system, go to Monmouth College, rents about 12-1500 per month

Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,375,714 times
Monmouth county is about 45 minutes away from Jersey City..not exactly close. You are correct that Jersey City and Union is definately ghetto. You might want to try Rutherford. I dont know, Florida vs. NJ..pick your poison.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,885,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Monmouth county is about 45 minutes away from Jersey City..not exactly close. You are correct that Jersey City and Union is definately ghetto. You might want to try Rutherford. I dont know, Florida vs. NJ..pick your poison.
Todd would you stop it with your JC bashing , its childish and immature at this point. We all get that you don't like the Urban areas....

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM

252 posts, read 457,670 times
Definitely consider Weehawken.

The town is located between Union City and the Hudson River. Weehawken is a mix - leafy streets with multimillion dollar homes a few blocks away from streets dominated by tenement buildings and shops serving poor immigrants. Numbered streets in north end of town and Park Avenue could feel like bad areas to some people, but these parts of town are nicer than Union City and most of Jersey City.

Weehawken has the typical assortment of children’s amenities, including nice playgrounds in every neighborhood, a library with children’s programs, and a recreation department offering a variety of sports activities. The town lacks a pool, though.

Crime - Personal and property crime rates in Weehawken are significantly below both national averages and crime rates in Union City and Jersey City. See 9:10 am post in this link for crime maps of all 3 towns https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/744302-new-jersey-crime-maps-zip-code-2.html

Schools – Weehawken’s public school system performs at the level of NJ’s middle class suburbs, dramatically above the level of Jersey City and Union City public schools. Test score disclosure begins at grade 3 and Weehawken’s latest 3rd grade stats look pretty good. In language arts, Weehawken’s proficiency breakdown (partial 22%, proficient 75%, advanced 3%) compares favorably to statewide figures (partial 37%, proficient 57%, advanced 6%). Math scores are stronger – Weehawken (partial 12%, proficient 37%, advanced 51%) versus NJ overall (partial 25%, proficient 43%, advanced 32%). Webster is the K-2 school. Roosevelt is the 3-6 school. Both serve the entire town.

Apartments – Take a walk around the neighborhoods along Boulevard East and Gregory Avenue. A lot of the available apartments are located in owner-occupied 2-family homes and the vacancies are advertised only by a sign on the front porch. Also check out the Weehawken Reporter weekly newspaper for apartment ads that don’t make it to craigslist. Rents in Weehawken are higher than rents for similar apartments in Union City and most parts of Jersey City. But rents are lower than in Hoboken and downtown Jersey City.

Commute - Weehawken is the most convenient place in NJ for Midtown commuters, meaning it offers the easiest commute to John Jay. Buses run 24/7 and virtually non-stop during rush hour, and everyplace in Weehawken is within 10 minutes’ walk of a bus stop. The bus trip into Manhattan takes between 10 and 25 minutes, depending where you board the bus and the level of traffic congestion. The trip returning home in the evening is quicker. A monthly bus pass costs $98.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,885,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
Definitely consider Weehawken.

The town is located between Union City and the Hudson River. Weehawken is a mix - leafy streets with multimillion dollar homes a few blocks away from streets dominated by tenement buildings and shops serving poor immigrants. Numbered streets in north end of town and Park Avenue could feel like bad areas to some people, but these parts of town are nicer than Union City and most of Jersey City.

Weehawken has the typical assortment of children’s amenities, including nice playgrounds in every neighborhood, a library with children’s programs, and a recreation department offering a variety of sports activities. The town lacks a pool, though.

Crime - Personal and property crime rates in Weehawken are significantly below both national averages and crime rates in Union City and Jersey City. See 9:10 am post in this link for crime maps of all 3 towns https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/744302-new-jersey-crime-maps-zip-code-2.html

Schools – Weehawken’s public school system performs at the level of NJ’s middle class suburbs, dramatically above the level of Jersey City and Union City public schools. Test score disclosure begins at grade 3 and Weehawken’s latest 3rd grade stats look pretty good. In language arts, Weehawken’s proficiency breakdown (partial 22%, proficient 75%, advanced 3%) compares favorably to statewide figures (partial 37%, proficient 57%, advanced 6%). Math scores are stronger – Weehawken (partial 12%, proficient 37%, advanced 51%) versus NJ overall (partial 25%, proficient 43%, advanced 32%). Webster is the K-2 school. Roosevelt is the 3-6 school. Both serve the entire town.

Apartments – Take a walk around the neighborhoods along Boulevard East and Gregory Avenue. A lot of the available apartments are located in owner-occupied 2-family homes and the vacancies are advertised only by a sign on the front porch. Also check out the Weehawken Reporter weekly newspaper for apartment ads that don’t make it to craigslist. Rents in Weehawken are higher than rents for similar apartments in Union City and most parts of Jersey City. But rents are lower than in Hoboken and downtown Jersey City.

Commute - Weehawken is the most convenient place in NJ for Midtown commuters, meaning it offers the easiest commute to John Jay. Buses run 24/7 and virtually non-stop during rush hour, and everyplace in Weehawken is within 10 minutes’ walk of a bus stop. The bus trip into Manhattan takes between 10 and 25 minutes, depending where you board the bus and the level of traffic congestion. The trip returning home in the evening is quicker. A monthly bus pass costs $98.
The OP is long gone this thread was started back in feb of 09'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey