Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
It's so weird, how can illegals afford to live there? I know many middle class people that could never pay taxes/mortgages in Waldwick. Go figure.
By the way, my hometowns are Passaic and Paterson. I don't want to move back to either long-term! But at the same time I defend them because they were my home. Never forget where you came from and always keep the good things about your hometown close to heart!
I doubt very many of us who grew up in any of the major NJ cities would yearn to move back to them anytime soon. I have so many good memories of my old house. Unlike the vast majority of the posters here, I basically lived in the same house for over 50 years, nearly my entire life. But the major cities of NJ have been in a downward decline for as long as I've been alive.

Many times, when looking for something in my new house, I keep thinking, I knew exactly where it was in my old house, because the memory of its location was so deeply ingrained, after all those years. I often dream of my old house, but these days, its not in NJ or NC, but in some area that looks like neither. I suspect that on a subconscious level, I'm still moving down I-81 and I'm somewhere in VA!

After living here for 2.5 years with horses on either side of my development, moving back to Paterson - even the nicest, largest house in it - tax-free, would be a no-go. There is nothing there for me but memories and ghosts. When I'm back up in NJ for a visit, I'll probably drive by my old house, think about the young couple that now reside in it, and while thinking of the many good times and bad that I had in that house, be glad about where I live now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,608 times
I grew up in Edison before it was called Edison, "Raritan Twp" it was called in the 50's. I went as far as my junior year in HS and we moved to the "country" now known as Piscataway so I finished HS there.
There is not enough money to get me to move back to Edison or Piscataway. I lived in the very first development ever built in Edison in 1948. "Paisley Homes" right off of Plainfield Ave. My dad paid $8,600. and I think they are selling for 300+ these days.
Edison was a great place for me to grow up and I really enjoyed my childhood but it is not the same as it was 50 years ago.

Anybody out there remember Mirror lake or how about hidden lake?

How about the "excitement" or watching planes take off and land at Hadley airport? When we were kids that was really a thrill.

E

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Alright im only 16, but i love my city i always been livin in, Hackensack, but i wonder if when i leave to college in Newark (rutgers) i know i would have to leave Hackensack.

So i know i would NOT want to live in Newark, but i know people in Bayonne who say its good and has great rent in that specific area. But when you grow up and have a family and gain money do you have a desire to go back to your hometown and live there again? where ever it is

Just a thought, because my whole life is here, and i dont care what you people think of hackensack. i love it.
u remind me of this sad song about this guy who misses this girl it goes "if u come back- to hackensack, look me up again". I don't have that great memories of where i grew up and now it's dead, but it sure is a nice peaceful place, maybe when i'm old i'll move back.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 AM

514 posts, read 1,669,161 times
I grew up in Carteret, and wouldnt go back there even if someone was to buy me a house.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 AM

214 posts, read 560,065 times
Nah I wouldnt move back to Edison. Its not anything like it was when I was growing up. Way to overcrowded now. Plus New Jersey is such an expensive state to live in and to me its not worth the price at all. High insurance, high home and rental costs, car inspections, overcrowded. Generally moody people. Nah I would not move back there at all. I might have considered a move back to Edison if it had about half the people then it does now. Its so hard to get from point a to point b. Not my idea of fun.

My advice to anyone not thrilled about the state of New Jersey is to take the chance and move if you can. I didnt realize until I left that most of the things that bothered me so much were New Jersey related. It really hits you when you leave there how different people are outside of Jersey.

Im not thrilled about Florida where I currently live. But I am here for family reasons not because I actually want to be here.

So I will be moving at some point but certainly not back to Edison New Jersey.

Why is it that some people flock back to there hometown anyway? Its never the same the second time around. Branch out and explore new areas. Leave your comfort zone once in a while.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
I was born and raised in Newark, but I would not move back there. However I do plan on moving back to New Jersey. New Jersey has many excellent places to live and raise a family, many good paying job opportunities, and great culture.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 AM

257 posts, read 824,099 times
grey up in NE fl. live in hoboken which I like very much. I will definitely move back to my home town. while its changed more than most people's home towns in the 10 years since I left, it still has remnants of of what I remember. It still has people I love. and it just happens to be one of the most awesome small towns on earth. I can't wait to move back but it will be a while. I'm still on my journey before I can return to my homeland. :P

Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 AM

40 posts, read 155,543 times
Yes, I'd move back to Summit. I wanted out as a teen/after college and haven't lived in NJ since I left for college 20 years ago. I now see the appeal of the town though, esp. with kids--everything is walkable--to town, to the schools, to the local swim club. Crime is low. Schools are good. Lots of restaurants. Quiet. I won't ever move back b/c that's not the part of the country we're in or will be in, but if I could find that town out West, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 PM

20 posts, read 132,044 times
I grew up in the Greenville Section of Jersey City so unless I built a fortress and drove around in a tank I could not ever see myself living in the old neighborhood again.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,962 times
I hear you, OP!! I have lived in Jersey for most of my life and just moved to Orlando, Fl and if I had the opportunituy to move bak...i'd do it in a heartbeat! Hackensack is not far from Newark..your change wont be a huuuuge deal! Jersey all around is great..i miss it so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey