Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 18,826 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses.

My husband and I have no children at this point, though we are planning to start our family in the near future. The first house we buy is a 5 year minimum, ten year maximum place so even if we got pregnant right now, our kids wouldn't be old enough for the high school to be a consideration with this purchase. I've heard a bunch of conflicting stories about the high school as you generally do with most high schools. By the time we have kids that are high school age who knows what reputation the high school will have.

As for right now, we're renting in Morristown and absolutely love the area, diversity and all, which is why we want to buy in the same area.

Anyone know why Morris Township doesn't appear to have it's own zip code? We've looked at houses in the Township, but whenever we attempt to mapquest it or even go on the postal service website, it never registers as the township and instead as either Morristown or Morris Plains. We thought that was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

89 posts, read 445,696 times
I thought that Morris Plains used the Parsippany Hills High School, not Morristown, am I wrong? City Data seems to indicate Parsippany Hills...

Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM

158 posts, read 592,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpesq View Post
I thought that Morris Plains used the Parsippany Hills High School, not Morristown, am I wrong? City Data seems to indicate Parsippany Hills...
Yep, wrong. Morris Plains, Morristown, and Morris Township all use Morristown HS. MP and MT do have their own elementary schools, etc. but all share the same HS.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 PM

28 posts, read 69,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Anybody know a good website for comparables in the Morristown, Morris Twp and Morris Plains areas?

Also, anybody have a feel for what real estate is doing in those towns. I thought it was still a buyer's market, but several agents have insisted the real estate market has picked up and we shouldn't expect to have much room to negotiate with list prices and infact new listings will likely have a 5-6% increase in the next several months. Now, of course I realize that agents are not always truthful, but I don't want to pass on a place thinking something better is out there, nor do I want to pay too much for something on a fear that prices are gonna increase. I simply want to be well informed.

Last question -- if you live in these towns what do you pay for sewer/garbage, etc?

Thanks to all who can provide any information.
There is no clear cut answer to this broad question. Real estate is hyper-local meaning values can vary town to town and even block to block. The room for negotiation is directly related to the sellers motivation....do they need to sell for financial reasons, are they retiring, etc. I am an experienced, qualified - straight from the hip realtor. I have many years experience working with first time home buyers. I prefer to patiently educate and not aggressively sell. I will show you what to negotiate on and do it on your behalf. Some realtors are overly optimistic about the market, it's not a matter of buyers market - sellers market....it really does depend on the house and seller motivation. If you cannot find an agent with these qualities contact me - Donna McCrummen at TNgroup@comcast.net please note: cit...e subject line I'm happy to help you. I work the Morristown to Morris to Bernardsville areas. I will conduct a comprehensive buyers needs and wants analysis to determine how to best meet your goals.

Last edited by nycgirlinva; 11-05-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: to add a thought

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM

4,073 posts, read 9,015,500 times
Funny to see this old thread brought back. Real estate agnets insisting that the market had stabilized in 2007 and 5-5% increase expected within a few months. Hmmm...

Old 12-31-2010, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,012 times
I moved into the Cedar Knolls section of Hanover TWP in 05. My wife and I are very happy and the public school system is excellent. In testament to the town, the family we purchased from stayed in town and just upgraded to a larger home. My neighbor directly behind me grew up in town, moved away and then came back to start his family. I find that quite a few people I have met had similar stories. The only thing really missing from the town is a downtown area.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM

777 posts, read 2,390,111 times
Zillow should show all the solds in a given area. Their 'Zestimates' aren't always accurate though. Garden State MLS will give you all the actives out there.

Some areas the market has stabilized, but don't know if too many where the values are going up. Experts disagree on how 2011 is going to be, but I don't think any are predicting values will be increasing until the unemployment figures improve.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,550 times
I was thinking of moving to Morrisplains but I'm afraid after reading the posts above. I did a drive through not too long
ago and was shocked to find it changed so much. I do see a lot of Hispanic's not that it bothers me but I wouldn't
want to live in an area where there is violence. Any good area's someone can suggest. Working hard Mom.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

4,073 posts, read 9,015,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliart View Post
I was thinking of moving to Morrisplains but I'm afraid after reading the posts above. I did a drive through not too long
ago and was shocked to find it changed so much. I do see a lot of Hispanic's not that it bothers me but I wouldn't
want to live in an area where there is violence. Any good area's someone can suggest. Working hard Mom.
Morris Plains remains a nice and safe town. What specifically in the (old) posts made you 'afraid'?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,786,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Morris Plains remains a nice and safe town. What specifically in the (old) posts made you 'afraid'?
If Morris Plains is considered violent, we're in a whole heap of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey