Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 83,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I currently live in Piscataway and have been very much considering moving out of state. I have however come across many homes in the area of sicklerville with great prices. One home I love is in Wyndam Hill the other oak forest, Taxes seem high but I guess they are everywhere in NJ. My husband works near Philly and I would have to find work. He says the homes are so reasonable because no one wants to live there. Ive read posts here pro and cons but would like some more opinions. I'm in my early 50's with no children. I'm currently in a condo and have never had a home of my own. I hate Piscataway. I'm sick of the congestion. Any pro cons would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Anyone????????????

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
First of all, Carol, if you are sick of congestion, then don't consider Sicklerville, or Camden County in general. Except for the extreme southeast sliver, the county is completely developed. It is more suburban/urban than almost any county other than Hudson, Essex, Union, Bergen or Middlesex.

Secondly, if you have school age children, there is a lot of contention that the Winslow school system is inadequate, relative to other muncipalities in the county. I had a friend who moved to Haddon Heights from Sicklerville specifically for this reason. He also mentioned to me that Sicklerville is very amenable when it comes to obtaining "Mount Laurel" housing quotas from other towns (yes, they can be transferred, and that's a dirty little secret). That is why housing in Sicklerville is so abundant and inexpensive compared to other surrounding areas. Inherently, Sicklerville is an auto-based town, almost exclusively. It is in close proximity to the end of Rt 42, before it transitions into the AC Expressway. This was a 50s era road, so you have what amounts to Levittown older style homes (very small as well) surrounded by 70s and 80s era bi and split level homes. To me, this setting is bereft of character. However, if your primary concern is affordable housing, this is about as good as you are going to get. Back to congestion, Sicklerville is very built up, and recent influx of commercial building (last 10-15 years) around exit ramps by the AC Expressway have only added to this congestion.

I know this does not sound like an overall positive post, but it's best you know why housing there is so inexpensive.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,663 times
I could think of worse places to live.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I can't dispute what Mike says about the schools because I know little about them. A friend works for Williamstown school district and it's not that they aren't trying, but the area is growing rather quickly and they can't keep up.

A few times a year I drive from my home in Marlton to Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville. Historically, it has been a nice drive once you get off of Rt. 73 in Berlin. Since last summer I've noticed an increase in traffic due the the new shopping center in the Cross Key area. There are also new housing developments on Fries Mill Road. Very fancy ones, indeed, so someone wants to live there.

Traffic here can't be worse than in Piscataway. I also know two people who quit jobs because of the traffic in Northern NJ. Driving into Philadelphia is never easy and you'll always have traffic going in that direction.

The area is by no means completely built up yet. You know that the only way that you can get a feel for the area is to take a drive down and take a look around.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
We walked just about every new community as well as drove by others, I don't recall this one sticking out.

Someone mentioned Winslow, we had a deposit on a Tim Schaeffer home but backed out due to schools. Shame because he put up nice houses with attention to detail.

We just bought at Willow Woods, closing next month if all goes well.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM

222 posts, read 1,025,800 times
I'd look into Swedesboro, Woolwich, and Logan. They're closer to Philly, have similar low prices, the school district is better, and there isn't as much traffic into and out of the area as its served by both the turnpike and 295.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Sicklerville

Thanks every one for your input. As I said I have no children, I am just seeking a better quality of life then I am currently experiencing in Central NJ. I will take everyone's suggestions.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM

"I just looked quickly at some listings in Swedesboro, Woolwich, and Logan" today,prices seemed significantly higher , in Swedesboro, taxes looked more friendly though...Something tells me I am not going to find any solution in NJ...saddens me that illegals and such are forcing me from where I was born....

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM

29 posts, read 163,111 times
If you don't care about Schools, then you can get a lot for your money in Sicklerville. Just need to think about how long you'll be there and consider potential resale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey