Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 10:17 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

The theme for today is structures in Monmouth County.

The lighthouse at Sandy Hook

Abandoned building at Fort Monmouth

Former farmhouse at Dorbrook Recreation Area

Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 PM

31 posts, read 30,410 times
Mother Nature always tries to make my commute tolerable These are from yesterday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM

31 posts, read 30,410 times
New Jersey is called Garden State for a reason

Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM

390 posts, read 306,771 times
Man, how I miss Jersey.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:01 PM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Took a trip to the Southern Tip of NJ.

GPS kept telling me to take I-95 down. I decided to cross the new Tappanzee Bridge and take Garden State Parkway down. Loved it! Reminded me of the Merritt Parkway here in CT. Only spot it was congested was through Orange NJ.

Here's some pics from my trip.

The path I took
Spoiler

Welcome to NJ. Weather was great. Timed perfectly with a cold front that came through last night. Morning temps started in the 50s and warmed to 60s fast then had highs in the 70s but not humid!

Welcome to Wildwood

Hotel Room View. Stayed at Fleur-Di-Lis resort in Wildwood Crest.

Pool at night was changing colors.

Award winner. Top 10 Beaches right across resort. LOVED the nature preserve (right word?) to left and right of the pathway.

Freshly raked.

Another view of the beach. June 5th and nobody on it. Perfect! lol. This was in the morning. Temps were chilly 50s with the winds. (40s back home in CT)

Looking back at the resorts

Spoiler

Dead Sting Ray?

The Boardwalk is steps from the resort but you have to walk 1/2 mile to get to the stores and it goes past 4 miles. We did 2 miles up and 2 miles back.

1st chain of stores I was like where is everyone?? Too cold? lol. Temps were dropping as it was around 6pm now from mid 70s to low 70s. Tram car $3.50 for a ride

Next chain of stores, more people.

Sun was setting. Looks nice at night. Got chilly fast without the sun. I had shorts and short sleeves on. Temps were in the upper 60s with bone dry dew points in the 40s and a breeze.

Ready to climb this? 199 spiral steps. 3rd tallest in NJ. One of the ones that actually still works.

View from up top. That structure on the beach was an underground WW2 Bunker.

Looking down at the entrance and gift shop where I bought a sweatshirt.

Time to take a 3 Hour Whale & Dolphin tour

Another view of the WW2 Bunker.
Spoiler

Timing was good for weather but it wasn't to see Whales. High Pressure was moving in + I think there was a strong NW flow. Forgot to checked weather maps.

Ton of Dolphins around but we didn't see any whales. There were white caps further out from the wind so it was hard to see if they were surfacing from a distance. Captain had Sonar detection but no luck on this day.

Sometimes you would think its a shark, but they were dolphins. lol

Spoiler

Shipping Barges? Thought a war was happening in the Delaware Bay. lol. You can see the white caps a little here as we were waiting to see any Whales came up.

Spoiler

Shopping time. Washington Street Mall in Cape May.

Was about 70° at 11am here. Sun was beaming strong vs what I'm used to. Wow it felt hot. Thought it was in the 80s. Dew point was in the 50s so it was nice!

Little Italy in Wildwood Crest. Eh. Everything was so pricey.

Was driving down this road and I noticed something of course. See it? On the left.

Weather Station! Very cool! And it's not near an airport runway.

Here's the weather site: Click on the map you'll see West Cape May as I showed in the picture. It's the furthest one down south. The 81 near it is the Cape May County "Airport" (always warmer)

Old 06-06-2019, 06:55 PM

668 posts, read 470,514 times
Oh man, got so excited seeing the Cape May photos!!! Esp love the view from the lighthouse. Very nice!!! My favorite place in NJ....

Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 PM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Oh man, got so excited seeing the Cape May photos!!! Esp love the view from the lighthouse. Very nice!!! My favorite place in NJ....
Cape May is awesome. Better than Wildwood. Wildwood felt more citylike with lack of trees and tictactoe streets.

The light house was great. Stewardess up there was nice and knowledgeable.

Glad I went on a weekday though and right at the open. Not many people up there or I would of been uncomfortable. Looks like it was getting more crowded as I was leaving

Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM

668 posts, read 470,514 times
I prefer Cape May to Wildwood as well...love the history of the town...and honestly, its' a beautiful area...

Old 06-08-2019, 04:27 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Great Cape May photos! I will be there in two weeks for my family's annual beach vacation. Been doing it since 1982!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:49 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Sunrise on the first day of winter, Long Branch

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey