Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,981 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving to Wood-ridge,NJ. I am a medical professional, married mother of two children under 3 years. I would greatly appreciate any info about the neighborhood (ex. schools, parks, family life, crime, etc.) I found some favorable data on websites like city-data.com and school rating websites but first-hand accounts are so insightful.
Thanks to all,
Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM

16 posts, read 43,749 times
As a newer member of town I would like to say that I really like it here. My family & I relocated over the summer and we wanted to be in Northern NJ for convenience sake. I heard of a lot of towns that were better for schools and the like, but I wanted a town where there were more "normal" people. Not a bunch of snobs. I'm not into having my first grader ask for a Coach purse so I wanted something that was more down to earth. We rented a lovely condo in the center of town, older, but nice. Suits our needs for now. Beautiful and neat little streets, we love to walk every night. People have been very friendly and we've felt welcome. It's safe. It's a quiet little downtown that I wish had a little more, but we have all found awesome hair cutters, a deli and a bakery that we love right on the main drag - within walking distance. School is centerally located. My husband gets to work quickly. My kids are liking school and soccer and Scouts. We also found a great pizzaria, luncheonette and other amenieites on The Boulevard in Hasbrouck Heights. So close to 17... I don't know why more people don't reccommend this little town. We are new here, but so far we are very happy.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,553,446 times
great location. convenient to NYC

Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,294,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jylrph View Post
Hi,
I am considering moving to Wood-ridge,NJ. I am a medical professional, married mother of two children under 3 years. I would greatly appreciate any info about the neighborhood (ex. schools, parks, family life, crime, etc.) I found some favorable data on websites like city-data.com and school rating websites but first-hand accounts are so insightful.
Thanks to all,
Jill
I am sorry I can't speak directly to some of your questions (schools, crime, and some about family life), however, I am somewhat familiar with Wood-Ridge -- I've spent time there, have friends there, know people there, etc. There is a small, very small, store-front town section.

It's a nice, small (very small) town, with a very good location. It's central to Rt. 17, 46, and 80, not too far from Rt. 3, the GSP and the NJ Tpk., and close the Meadowlands. The people I know who live there like it. Some work in NY, others nearby in NJ -- Hasbrk. Hts., Ruthfd./E. Ruthfd., etc. As a medical professional, you might have many options with Hackensack Hospital and innumerable medical practices nearby. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:06 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,959,649 times
Dimples 28 thanks for sharing your experience! I've often said W-R, HH and Rutherford are nice places to get a suburban life that is a stones throw from NYC, Downtown JC, Hoboken and more. Conveniently located to many major highways. There is also a small, but cute, park on Valley Blvd and an AWESOME new spa that opened (Oasis, I believe is the name.)

It does not have the snob factor - and yes - it's demographic is certainly changing from "blue colar man with stay at home wife", that just does not fit it anymore. Now, some of the snootier folks in the state will turn their nose up to this and similar towns, but like you said, not everyone wants their grade schooler insisting on an NV phone, Coach bag and that Mom drive nothing less than a Navigator.

One other nice thing LOWER TAXES considering the area. That won't happen in Rutherford and I'm not quite as familiar with HH taxes, but W-R overall is pretty decent.

The Westmont Development is FINALLY in the building process...but one has to wonder how that will pan out in the current economic climate. In any case, it cleaned the land from the former Curtis-Wright site, so it's sort of good no matter what.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time there Dimples!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey