Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 36,168 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Keasburg NJ from Staten Island I have checked out a condo that is right on Beachway ave before the theme park and thinking of buying.

After doing some research on the area I found a bunch of old posts and articles stating that Keasburg is not a good area at all which really got me concerned but these posts were from over 5 years ago. I spent some time in Keasburg and it did not seem dangerous or bad by any means and was actually calm and kinda nice.

I was wondering if anyone had any current information on Keansburg if it has improved over time? I noticed a few drug busts recently but any area could have those issues. Any information about living in Keansburg would be greatly appreciated , I have checked out other areas which were nice such as Keyport , Union Beach and Atlantic Highlands but the condo in Keasburg for the price is much better .

I saw online that Keansburg NJ has a lot of low income housing but that does not particular mean the people are all bad.

Thanks again in advance

Obi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
This might not be a popular or PC opinion but I would describe Keansburg as "trashy." Not necessarily "bad" but not that nice.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:17 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This might not be a popular or PC opinion but I would describe Keansburg as "trashy." Not necessarily "bad" but not that nice.

My only familiarity with Keansburg goes back quite a few years, but back in those days it was indeed...trashy.
Is it still like that?

Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My only familiarity with Keansburg goes back quite a few years, but back in those days it was indeed...trashy.
Is it still like that?
I believe it is but can't say for sure.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
During the day is fine. But like the song goes, "the freaks come out at night".

Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
Do you have, or plan to have, children who will go to public school?

Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Im not really sure if I am going to have children yet I know that does have to factor in , I think I am going to have to take a trip out there and stay for the night just to see how it is, I know it is off season right now and not too busy from what I understand the park only gets super busy a few times a year.

It is a really hard decision the condo I am looking at is newly built right off Laurel onto Beachway, and I mean it is beautiful inside they spared no expense it is priced on the high side for that area at 320k but if you saw the inside you would understand why . Additionally the fact that is was a new build the land has already been graded 13ft above sea level and is certified I am not required to get flood insurance although I probably would for the downstairs just in case.

I have been looking in other areas as well but nothing comes close to this condo as far as the price and build quality . I am just really worried about moving in and not being happy with the neighborhood. I know Keansburg is very small but is one side worse than the other is there any areas I should avoid:? This is my first time buying a condo / house and it is scary as hell just trying to make an informed smart decision. I started doing more research and saw that Keansburg had such a bad wrap which made me think twice before jumping in .

In the past 2 weeks I have went to Keansburg and spent time didn't really see any nastyness going on was not fearing for my safety. I mean the most notable thing that happened was 2 ladies on the Boardwalk that looked a little trashy but nothing too bad. Although I have not spent that much time at night there , if the freaks come out at night I guess I will see them this weekend.

I thought the area at least right near the condo was nice and not trashy looking at all but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

Any current information or guidance is very appreciated I need to make a decision very soon really driving myself loco

Old 11-03-2016, 09:04 AM

It does have a bad reputation in the area but it is mostly because many people need someone to look down on to feel better about themselves. I moved to NJ from Brooklyn and, no, I don't think it's that bad. Certainly not anywhere near how bad BAD is in SI and Brooklyn. I have a friend there who has a beautiful house, he loves his neighbors and he's really happy there. But we also have friends who wish they had not bought there. They have a son and they had to take him out of the public school because the classroom was just so chaotic. So now they have the added cost of Catholic school. My friend also suspects that he had few friends at his school because of where they lived. Their house is very nice and there is absolutely nothing unsafe about its location, but people are jerks. So, honestly, if kids are in your future that is something you do need to think about. And in NJ schools are extremely important for resale value so it won't be so easy to just sell and move elsewhere if you have a child and decide to move.

Keansburg isn't the only place that snobs look down on though, by any stretch. We were looking in Middletown and hearing how one section is better than another, 1 of the High Schools is "preferred" we said no thanks to the whole town and looked elsewhere.

Also - drug use of all kinds but heroin in particular is a huge problem everywhere. It is not at all limited to Keansburg or any lower income town. My own cynical view is that there would be no Narcan if it was just poor kids in Keansburg overdosing - it's everywhere.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Thanks For the response Irish Eyes , yeah people can be complete Aholes especially the ones with lots of money it can get to them , I make a good living but I am by no means Daddy Warbucks . So what other areas would you recommend since you have previous went through this journey from NY to NJ I really love the feel of NJ shore towns

Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 PM

We're in Hazlet and really like it here. My son just started school and the people seem nice, I really do like the school. I would definitely look at Keyport. I've heard good things about Matawan/Aberdeen but I don't think they really have the shore town feeling. Hazlet isn't right at the beach but it's on the corridor so it does have a kind of relaxed feeling. Union Beach possibly? I'm not sure about that because it was hit so hard in Sandy, it's still struggling to come back. I do like Middletown, if we moved from here we would likely go there. Parts of it are more expensive than others but there are definitely affordable houses there. I think Belford is less expensive than other parts of Middletown and it's a nice area and community. Closer to the shore Atlantic Highlands is nice.

Make sure you pay attention to taxes too. Everyone thinks Hazlet is "cheaper" than Middletown but I have 2 friends who grew up in Hazlet and moved to Middletown because the taxes are lower. Some of the towns have free preschool so that's a bonus if you have kids (Keansburg, Keyport).

Do you work in NJ or NYC? You want to keep your commute in mind too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey