Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,985 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Morris Plains shortly. I've heard that the Shop Rite on Route 10 in Morris Plains will be closing shortly because a new Shop Rite is being built nearby. Is this true? And does anyone know what will replace the Route 10 Shop Rite when it closes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele V View Post
We are moving to Morris Plains shortly. I've heard that the Shop Rite on Route 10 in Morris Plains will be closing shortly because a new Shop Rite is being built nearby. Is this true? And does anyone know what will replace the Route 10 Shop Rite when it closes?
I have also heard the store on Rte 10 will be closing when they complete work on the new location on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Road. The current store on rte 10 is too small for the volume of business, so it is over crowded, has narrow isles, and frankly has a very poor layout. I am not certain what will go into the blg that now houses the Shop Rite if they do close it. I personally am looking forward to the Wegmans which is scheduled to open just off Rte 10 on Sylvan Ave. (right by the Ridgedale Ave/rte 10 intersection, near the rte 10 and 287 intersection.)

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM

696 posts, read 907,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I have also heard the store on Rte 10 will be closing when they complete work on the new location on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Road. The current store on rte 10 is too small for the volume of business, so it is over crowded, has narrow isles, and frankly has a very poor layout. I am not certain what will go into the blg that now houses the Shop Rite if they do close it. I personally am looking forward to the Wegmans which is scheduled to open just off Rte 10 on Sylvan Ave. (right by the Ridgedale Ave/rte 10 intersection, near the rte 10 and 287 intersection.)

HTH
KoalaNJ
I thought that Wegman's location fell through (the property was developed as a self-storage place). Another bugaboo with the old Shop Rite was the lack of parking; Kohl's customers would use 90% of the lot. The old Shop Rite merged with Kohl's would be an ideal candidate for a Target.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
I thought that Wegman's location fell through (the property was developed as a self-storage place). Another bugaboo with the old Shop Rite was the lack of parking; Kohl's customers would use 90% of the lot. The old Shop Rite merged with Kohl's would be an ideal candidate for a Target.
The first location that Wegman's tried was in East Hanover, and that fell through. They later signed a deal for the Ridgedale Ave/Rt 10/Sylvan Rd location in Hanover Twp, which was approved by the town. I understand the confusion, as it sounds like the same town, but they are two different municipalities. I do know that Village Supermarkets, which operates the SR on Rte 10 and 202, is the same company that is building the new store on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Rd. Village Supermarkets also filed suit in an attempt to block the Wegman's store, but I do not know how that will turn out. I doubt that Target will take over the Kohls/vacant SR space, since they are under contract for a store across from the Morris Co Mall on Ridgedale and Hanover Ave. (Though I have heard the location may be adjacent to the now under construction SR on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Rd.)

KoalaNJ

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Wharton Shop Rite is better in my opinion. For us, its conveniently across from Costco. Its near Morris Plains.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Wharton Shop Rite is better in my opinion. For us, its conveniently across from Costco. Its near Morris Plains.

Shop Rite in Wharton is located 12 miles from the SR in Morris Plains, certainly not close. There are also several other SR's closer to Cedar Knolls/Morris Plains. I cannot imagine why anyone in the MP/Cedar Knolls area would drive past other SR locations to hit up the Wharton Store, heck even though it is a 24 hour store, there is another 24 hour store closer in Rockaway. While the Wharton store is fairly new, so it is less crowded, and has wide isles, the produce and the meat in the Wharton store is not of good quality, and the deli stinks. I have found the produce at the MP/Cedar Knolls store to be pretty mediocre as well, and find much better quality at other SR locations. (some also owned/operated by Village Supermarkets) It will be interesting to see if they go with the better quality produce (such as found at the Bernardsville and Chester locations) at the new store on Hanover/Horse Hill Rd, or use the lesser quality found at the MP/CK store. FWIW the Wharton store is owned by a different co than Village, and also operates the Rocaway location. While the Rockaway location has good produce, and a good deli, the meat is meh, not the same level found in Kings or Whole Foods or Wegmans, but better quality than the MP/CK or the Wharton SR.) I frequently travel all over NJ, and pick up my groceries where and when I can, so am exposed to almost all of the stores in the state!

HTH
KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 09-15-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM

696 posts, read 907,989 times
Quote:
The first location that Wegman's tried was in East Hanover, and that fell through. They later signed a deal for the Ridgedale Ave/Rt 10/Sylvan Rd location in Hanover Twp, which was approved by the town. I understand the confusion, as it sounds like the same town, but they are two different municipalities. I do know that Village Supermarkets, which operates the SR on Rte 10 and 202, is the same company that is building the new store on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Rd. Village Supermarkets also filed suit in an attempt to block the Wegman's store, but I do not know how that will turn out. I doubt that Target will take over the Kohls/vacant SR space, since they are under contract for a store across from the Morris Co Mall on Ridgedale and Hanover Ave. (Though I have heard the location may be adjacent to the now under construction SR on Hanover Ave and Horsehill Rd.)

KoalaNJ
Thanks for the info!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Quote:
Shop Rite in Wharton is located 12 miles from the SR in Morris Plains,
Consider its location, we have a routine in which all errands and needs are met within the same location.

Target,
Costco,
Mall,
Home Depot,
Shop Rite
etc...

There are certainly closer areas to get groceries for our family. In my case, A&P is a 15 minute walk. We have found that a well planned route, list, and routine (so you are not waisting time looking around) is a far effective plan than stopping at various locations that are spread throughout an area. Even if the various locations are closer to home.

BTW. READ. I didn't necessarily mention Wharton because it was ~closer~ to Morris plains than the other locations. I simply stated that in my opinion it is better (thus worth the extra mileage) and more conveniently located to an area that has more to offer when trying to get errands done. 12 miles is not that far. I am about 10 miles.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

BTW. READ. I didn't necessarily mention Wharton because it was ~closer~ to Morris plains than the other locations. I simply stated that in my opinion it is better (thus worth the extra mileage) and more conveniently located to an area that has more to offer when trying to get errands done. 12 miles is not that far. I am about 10 miles.

I DID read what you wrote, and I quote, "Wharton Shop Rite is better in my opinion, for us it is conveniently across from Costco. It is near Morris Plains"

I understand and totally agree with you that it would be convenient for you to consolidate your errands into one trip when possible. However I also do not feel Wharton is near Morris Plains, as it is 12 miles away, and as I mentioned there are several other SR stores located closer to Morris Plains. There is also a Costco located about 6 miles from the Morris Plains SR, in East Hanover, so why drive 12 to Wharton? (unless of course you are located west or NW of Morris Plains and so closer to Wharton than East Hanover) But my comments are really directed at the OP who will be living in MP, and thus I was giving information about alternative grocery stores nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey