Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 15,478 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Morris Plains, NJ and trying to figure out where to live. Would like to have a 40 min. max commute to work but also want be close to Path and Midtown Direct train (under 30 minutes) for spouse's trips into NYC. We are looking at Secaucus, Saddlebrook, Belleville, Rahway, Springfield, N. Bergen, Lyndhurst, Wood-Ridge, and Hackensack but worried mostly about my commute on 80 west or Route 24 west as both sounds terrible. Will be renting at first, and not concerned about schools, any suggestions or advise on the towns we are looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno103 View Post
I am considering a job in Morris Plains, NJ and trying to figure out where to live. Would like to have a 40 min. max commute to work but also want be close to Path and Midtown Direct train (under 30 minutes) for spouse's trips into NYC. We are looking at Secaucus, Saddlebrook, Belleville, Rahway, Springfield, N. Bergen, Lyndhurst, Wood-Ridge, and Hackensack but worried mostly about my commute on 80 west or Route 24 west as both sounds terrible. Will be renting at first, and not concerned about schools, any suggestions or advise on the towns we are looking in?

If you want a commute that is less than 40 minutes, forget all the towns you have currently on your list. No way would your actual commute time fit from any of those towns or anywhere in Bergen or Essex Counties. Instead concentrate on those towns much closer to Morris Plains that have train stations on the Morris Essex line such as Morris Plains, Morristown, Madison, and Chatham. In order to give you suggestions that best fit your needs/desires (other than commute time) it would be helpful if you provided answers to the questions on the sticky thread at the top of this forum, https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

KoalaNJ

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Morris Plains can be 10, 15, 20 minutes from a lot of places, you just have to choose the right places.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Thank you very much for your response. It's disappointing as we were going to look at a complex called Xchange at Secaucus Junction, thinking I could get to Morris Plains from there in 40-45 minutes. Can you give me your opnion of how long that would actually take? Sounds like we need to cancel that option! Also, interested in Montclair if that falls into the 45 min. commute to Morris Plains range. Here are the answers to the questions previously posted.

Where are you coming from? Boston, MA
Why are you moving? Job relocation
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Morris Plains, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $2500/mo.
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2BR/2BA, 1300 sq ft. minimum, newer complex, not interested in private rentals

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse but no pets or kids
Do you need/want good public schools? Schools are not an issue

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): Would like an area that has some restaurants and shops, safety is a definite concern, and would like to be near a train station (ok if have to drive 15-20 min. to a station with parking).

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc):
1. 45 min. max commute to Morris Plains
2. Easy commute to NYC for leisure (30-40 min direct train)
3. Restaurant and shopping in town (doesn't have to be walking distance, but we don't cook so decent casual restaurants and Whole Foods or other market with take out options nearby (15 min.) would be important.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Evil racist censor Noogle maps quotes it as 42 minutes, 49 in traffic. I don't think you are too far off the mark.
Xchange, 5000 Riverside Station Boulevard, Secaucus, NJ 07094 to Morris Plains, NJ - Google Maps

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
Parsippany or Whippany have plenty of rentals and are close to Convent station on the Morris/ Essex line. They are tad cheaper than Morristown, Chatham Madison type rates and they're a stones throw from Morris Plains

Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
morris plains train service is excellent in both directions

Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for your response. It's disappointing as we were going to look at a complex called Xchange at Secaucus Junction, thinking I could get to Morris Plains from there in 40-45 minutes.
Xchange has exactly one thing going for it, and that's proximity to Secaucus Junction. There's nothing else nearby and it's an unpleasant area (mostly industrial, plus you're near the swamp). I'd be surprised if you could consistently get to Morris Plains in 45 minutes from there, but maybe it's possible.

I don't get to recommend my own town often, but I'd consider West Orange. There are quite a number of rental buildings and it's a strictly better commute than Secaucus. If you're headed to NY during non-commute hours you can park at the Orange or South Orange stations, or a little further to Harrison PATH. There are a fair number of restaurants especially if you consider neighboring Maplewood, Millburn, and South Orange.

Montclair is also a good possibility, and you have more restaurants in close proximity. Traffic will be a nastier though, and train service to NYC isn't as good.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM

Great suggestion for the Harrison PATH as we hadn't even thought about that. There is a new rental development right at Harrison Station that we will check out. Can you tell me if there is typically parking available at Harrison or offsite nearby. Is it a safe to park and walk to train if needed? How would that commute be to Morris Plains? The problem that we are having is that the newer larger rental complexes that we are interested in are not in any of the towns suggested. I did find several rental options in Springfield. It looks "commutable" to Morris Plains about 14 miles and not too far to drive to Harrison PATH. Would that be an area anyone would recommend? Also, Avalon Wood-Ridge looks to be about 8 mi. to Harrison Station, but not sure about the commute to Morris Plains. I know here in Boston a 20 mi. commute can take over an hour on a regular day. Thanks again for putting us on the right track and away from Secaucus!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Great suggestion for the Harrison PATH as we hadn't even thought about that. There is a new rental development right at Harrison Station that we will check out. Can you tell me if there is typically parking available at Harrison or offsite nearby. Is it a safe to park and walk to train if needed? How would that commute be to Morris Plains? The problem that we are having is that the newer larger rental complexes that we are interested in are not in any of the towns suggested. I did find several rental options in Springfield. It looks "commutable" to Morris Plains about 14 miles and not too far to drive to Harrison PATH. Would that be an area anyone would recommend? Also, Avalon Wood-Ridge looks to be about 8 mi. to Harrison Station, but not sure about the commute to Morris Plains. I know here in Boston a 20 mi. commute can take over an hour on a regular day. Thanks again for putting us on the right track and away from Secaucus!

Firstly, although Morris Plains does have a train station, the large employers locations, (Immunomedics, Pfizer, Warner Lambert to name a few) are not located withing walking distance of the train. I do not know if the companies offer a shuttle, it's something you'd have to ask about. There are no local buses or commuter options within MP it's self. Don't even thing about commuting by car from Harrison to Morris Plains - it would be long and arduous. As far as the 49 minutes drive time, no way unless you are driving at 3 am. Considering normal commuting hours your drive will be over an hour. The actual commute times around northern NJ are similar to what you have experienced in Boston. For a commute less than 40 min, you'll have to be much closer to Morris Plains. Given your answers to the questions for potential residents, I'd have to say that the best option for you would be the Morristown/Madison area. Your commute will be good, and the area is on the midtown direct line. Although, the midtown direct train time from Morristown to NYC Penn station is a just over an hour, how often will you utilize it? Daily? I think this may have to be a trade off for you -a little longer train ride into NYC in exchange for all your other requirements. Madison has a Whole Foods, a wonderful walkable downtown with shopping and restaurants. Morristown has Kings Supermarkets, (same demographics and type of food store as WF) as well as a larger walkable downtown filled with restaurants and shopping. Morristown also has some very nice new apartment complexes which fit your criteria as well. (check out AMLI on the Plaza, Metropolitan at 40 Park, and The Highlands at Morristown Station)

Montclair is a wonderful town, but your commute to Morris Plains will be longer than 45 min. (hour plus depending on actual times traveled and where in Montclair)

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey