Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM

24 posts, read 46,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No snobs on Staten Island (part of New York City but suburban with a ferry to Wall Street.)
Thank you and all kind respondents - a move in-house to my hubby's Wall St office is looking likely now so these are great ideas which we will carefully go through ahead of a visit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishEscapee View Post
Dear All,

Have been finding your posts v. interesting but I have a specific question. We are hoping to move from the UK to the US for many reasons - better quality of life, more mertitocratic, better schools but also in the hope of escaping terrible UK snobs - basically state schools in UK are so bad on the whole that we have had to educate our son in private school where there are too many terrible snobs. We hear that US state schools can be v. good, so hope that our academic, sporty 9 yr old son can get a good education there whilst at the same time escaping snobs. At the same time, we'd like my husband's commute to be less than the current 2 hours - in fact closer to 40 mins - 1hr max. We hear taking the ferry from NJ is good for this as husband will work on Wall Street (sadly not in mega bucks job!) - question is: Which NJ area is best for schools, brief commute whilst still having affordable (c. under $500,000) homes in nice safe neighbourhoods with lots of greenery / fields ideally (we have a dog which I can currently allow free rein of Suffolk UK fields). Is this possible even or am I looking at expensive neighbourhood which is therefore snobby (as would be the case in the UK usually outside of London)? Is NJ best area for having neighbours which tend to be nice non-snobby people - I assume commutable Connecticut is more snobby or am I wrong? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! Thank you.
I will speak to one of your concerns which has yet to be addressed: your dog. Firstly, are you up to speed on the regulations related to the import and quarantine of pets? If not, please review this site CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation . You should also be aware that dogs must be on leads (or leashes as we call them here) when they are walked. If you want to let your dog roam about on your property, you will need a fenced yard or an electronic invisible fence. Many communities have fenced in dog parks where you can take your dog to run free. I live in Morristown where we have 2 nice dog parks nearby but alas the snob factor is off the charts here (one of the reasons we plan on leaving once our children are out of school). Good Luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey