Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times

Advertisements

It is hard to live here without a car. The good news is that based on what I've seen on the road - they give licenses to everyone in NJ!

Fair Haven is my favorite town right now, if I were moving again I would look there. More expensive area though. There is a nice little area with shops that seems pretty walkable to me. Atlantic Highlands also has a nice shopping area. Parts of Middletown too, maybe. Hazlet - not much at all.

The ferry is expensive but fast, comfortable and extremely reliable. If you can't do the ferry, I think I would look for something closer to the city. The commute from this area by train or bus takes its toll. I did it for a few years and my husband still does it. Life would be much better if he spent less time commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 11,113 times
We are British (moved to the U.S. six years ago) and live in Madison. We love it, and don't find the people here snobby at all. The house prices are high, but the schools (elementary, middle and high) are excellent, and the people are all very friendly. We bought here because of the schools, and because it is a very walkable town. We can walk from our house to Main St, where the grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, movie theater, train station etc. all are. I know of many towns in the area that have felt snobby to me, but Madison is not one of them.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Aren't the snobs in the "public" schools in England?

The basics are as follows. You can live in an area of Hudson Cty on a PATH train line (Hoboken, Jersey City) and be 20-30 minutes from Wall St. It's the most urban part of NJ with more crime and avg. to crummy schools. Great for singles.in their 20s. Nj Snob Factor = 5

Now move out to the counties just beyond Hudson/Essex and you get suburbs with fine school systems - Westfield, Madison, Ridgewood. At your price range it might be hard to find decent houses in those towns. The commute is more like 1 hour to 1 hour 15. WARNING! HIGH SNOB FACTOR! 8-9. You having a relative shack in these towns and no Mercedes may cause shunning and/or whispering that you're "too poor" for the town.

If you look further south in Middlesex County (East/North Brunswick, Old Bridge) you'll get much more for your money but commute is a bit further still, although lots of people do it daily. Towns & schools still good but not like Ridgewood or Westfield. NJ snob factor = 4-5.

I wouldn't stress about making friends. Ppl here are very direct but if they like you they've got your back for life. Never had a problem meeting nice neighbors wherever we've lived in NJ.

big thing to remember is NJ is most definitely a rat race place. Keep that in mind if that's what you're escaping from In England. Densely populated, lots of traffic & ppl have to work their asses off just to pay the bills. Very high property taxes, esp in the nice burbs of northern NJ.
Jersey City has a snob factor?? I think you meant Hoboken snob factor = 8 , Jersey City = 2 or 3 (just because you have those transplants downtown)

Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Newark is close to Manhatten, not many snobs there. Branch Brook park has green fields and the Cherry blossom trees are nice in springtime.
Yes, cherry blossoms trump daily gang warfare in the lovely, diverse 'burg of Newark.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM

200 posts, read 555,029 times
What about Somerset County? Hubby takes about 1.5 hrs commute total to lower Manhattan. Bernards Twp and Bernardsville are great towns, great schools and a mix of those with money and those who manage to get by. There are clicks, but you'll find them everywhere. You can get a small house with a small to decent yard for $500k, once in a while a bargain for less. However, you are surrounded here by parks and outdoors and great amenities. I am also British and have found a great British group of Moms around here. We get together for coffee once a month, but we also have our own friends. I am also a realtor and can give you advice on these towns if you would like. Pm me and ask away!
Good luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
You'll run into snobbery anywhere in this state.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Yup.. there are snobs everywhere...

Snobbery seems to be accumulating along the rail lines lately. IMO, the extra time to live close to but not along the direct rail lines to NYC is worth it. 10+ years in my quiet home town right on the morris-essex line has been just fine but things are changing. There is an influx of NYC migrants that can't seem to understand that they don't have to bring the NYC culture and attitude with them. I see a growing culture clash between the older residence of middle class hard working background among the wealthier commuters that often see our town as simply where their house is located rather than a community of which they are a member.

I used to work in the city but have always resided here.... its a love hate relationship with that station.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

24 posts, read 46,182 times
Default Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce76 View Post
We are British (moved to the U.S. six years ago) and live in Madison. We love it, and don't find the people here snobby at all. The house prices are high, but the schools (elementary, middle and high) are excellent, and the people are all very friendly. We bought here because of the schools, and because it is a very walkable town. We can walk from our house to Main St, where the grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, movie theater, train station etc. all are. I know of many towns in the area that have felt snobby to me, but Madison is not one of them.
Thank you so much - Madison sounds great - will investigate!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Wink culture clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yup.. there are snobs everywhere...

Snobbery seems to be accumulating along the rail lines lately. IMO, the extra time to live close to but not along the direct rail lines to NYC is worth it. 10+ years in my quiet home town right on the morris-essex line has been just fine but things are changing. There is an influx of NYC migrants that can't seem to understand that they don't have to bring the NYC culture and attitude with them. I see a growing culture clash between the older residence of middle class hard working background among the wealthier commuters that often see our town as simply where their house is located rather than a community of which they are a member.

I used to work in the city but have always resided here.... its a love hate relationship with that station.
Thanks for that - that's what it's like here in UK Suffolk too - locals can't afford homes because Londoners buy them all at inflated prices. It's hard in the UK though because there are so few nice countryside areas which are commutable into London but it does sound very similar - I just think if I want to live in the countryside it's for the nature and tranquility not to try and lord it over others with big cars and houses! Sounds like there's lots of lovely people too though - in the UK it does seem the balance is out just a bit too much the wrong way.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Wink Realty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
What about Somerset County? Hubby takes about 1.5 hrs commute total to lower Manhattan. Bernards Twp and Bernardsville are great towns, great schools and a mix of those with money and those who manage to get by. There are clicks, but you'll find them everywhere. You can get a small house with a small to decent yard for $500k, once in a while a bargain for less. However, you are surrounded here by parks and outdoors and great amenities. I am also British and have found a great British group of Moms around here. We get together for coffee once a month, but we also have our own friends. I am also a realtor and can give you advice on these towns if you would like. Pm me and ask away!
Good luck!
Thanks Karen that sounds great - once we are closer to finalising job situation will definitely get in touch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey