Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 35,417 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to the white meadow lakes neighborhood and was wondering what all options I have to travel/ commute daily to NYC. The things I have researched (mainly bus) are not promising enough, if I am looking at the right thing, when it comes to saving time. Are there any quick ways to commute? Anyone please help, as it may be a deciding factor for my switching jobs.

thanks
promising moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixmove View Post
Hi,
I am moving to the white meadow lakes neighborhood and was wondering what all options I have to travel/ commute daily to NYC. The things I have researched (mainly bus) are not promising enough, if I am looking at the right thing, when it comes to saving time. Are there any quick ways to commute? Anyone please help, as it may be a deciding factor for my switching jobs.

thanks
promising moves.
no, there are no quick ways to commute, you are moving to a place that is FAR from NYC. I said this to a gal moving barnegat, you are trading commuting time for money, you are probably seduced by a great house for a low price and I am sure it is very nice living out there but combining that with a hellish commute to NYC everyday is not a potion for good living

Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
no, there are no quick ways to commute, you are moving to a place that is FAR from NYC. I said this to a gal moving barnegat, you are trading commuting time for money, you are probably seduced by a great house for a low price and I am sure it is very nice living out there but combining that with a hellish commute to NYC everyday is not a potion for good living
It's not that bad a commute. I certainly wouldn't call it hellish. I took the bus from Parsippany or the train from Denville for years and years. It takes about an hour. There is also a bus that goes from the Rockaway mall that I have never taken but I would guess would add 10 minutes to your trip. If you are an up-and -out early person you can drive to Wayne and take the bus from there. You'll save a bit that way.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It's not that bad a commute. I certainly wouldn't call it hellish. I took the bus from Parsippany or the train from Denville for years and years. It takes about an hour. There is also a bus that goes from the Rockaway mall that I have never taken but I would guess would add 10 minutes to your trip. If you are an up-and -out early person you can drive to Wayne and take the bus from there. You'll save a bit that way.
you're right. the bus from rockaway mall is about 1 hr via lakeland. if you live near the bus stop even better. many of my family members did this commute and the bus ride was the easy part - it was GETTING there that was the PITA (eta - it was a 25 minute ride JUST to the mall). if OP is moving near the mall it's really not too big of a deal.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 35,417 times
Default Thank you all

Thanks.

I was hoping for a train commute. I may as well drive down to Wayne or Denville as UKOK suggested. I just hope mornings on I80 are not parking lots.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 AM

109 posts, read 345,596 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I was hoping for a train commute. I may as well drive down to Wayne or Denville as UKOK suggested. I just hope mornings on I80 are not parking lots.

They are. I commuted from Roxbury 10 years ago, and Rt. 80 was a parking lot from the Rt. 15 entrance to the Rt. 287 exit. I can only imagine what it's like now. Anything west of Parsippany is hellish.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
They are. I commuted from Roxbury 10 years ago, and Rt. 80 was a parking lot from the Rt. 15 entrance to the Rt. 287 exit. I can only imagine what it's like now. Anything west of Parsippany is hellish.
it all depends on the time. my husband's been doing the Rt 80 dance for about 2 yrs now. he leaves at 6:30, gets on at exit 26 and on a normal day makes it into paterson in 1 hr. if OP leaves WML before 7 it should be ok.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 AM

5 posts, read 30,045 times
Just moved to Rockaway myself... you can get to NYC by carif you leave your house by 6AM. Traffic is nill on 80 and then as you approach the tunnel
it slows.. but 6AM is the real key.
You can take the express train out of Dover if you can work that time into your schedule. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Actually if you are living in Rockaway, the train from Dover (start of the line) will be your best bet.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,939,382 times
Route 80 is a nightmare!!! Take the train from Dover or move somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey