Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

39 posts, read 152,229 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, We're thinking about moving to New Jersey but We are kind of confused what county/town exactly. Yesterday, we visited a friends of ours in Ledgewood(ZIP 07852) and we liked the area. We are young family(Caucasians, male 35y/o and my wife 29y/o) originally from Brooklyn, NY. Both of us work in the city, but honestly we don't mind to start looking for other job opportunities. We have a 2 years boy and neighborhood with daycare/child center is very important at this moment. We both have cars but still, a short-time commute is preferrable. We are looking for a safe(low crime) area, where people could normally live and take care for kids & family. We'd prefer something close to school/college, hospital/pharmacy, food market/recreation area/restaurants/ (about a 15-20 minute commute) with some sort of down to earth life. Rent-wise - 2bedroom, something between 1K-1300$. We would love to hear, if anyone has suggestions and interesting recommendations. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
No. Can someone find that North NJ reality check thread and post a link? I can't seem to find it now.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No. Can someone find that North NJ reality check thread and post a link? I can't seem to find it now.

I think this is the one you are thinking of:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-sticky.html

But...is the OP really saying they want a 20-minute commute to NYC???? Please Jesus no, that can't be that they think that's possible. They said they were in Ledgewood, which they have to realize is already 45 minutes from the city if you're traveling at 1 a.m. I don't think that can be what they meant.

But the $1000 - $1300 rent--that has me stymied. That sounds like they are thinking about South Jersey or far northwest Jersey/Sussex County boonies.

OP, can you clarify? What do you mean by a 20-minute commute--commute to what/where? And given the low rent, are you looking for far from the city/up in the woods/down south Jersey?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,987,609 times
I think (hope) the 20 min. was to restaurants/stores

Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this is the one you are thinking of:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-sticky.html

But...is the OP really saying they want a 20-minute commute to NYC???? Please Jesus no, that can't be that they think that's possible. They said they were in Ledgewood, which they have to realize is already 45 minutes from the city if you're traveling at 1 a.m. I don't think that can be what they meant.

But the $1000 - $1300 rent--that has me stymied. That sounds like they are thinking about South Jersey or far northwest Jersey/Sussex County boonies.

OP, can you clarify? What do you mean by a 20-minute commute--commute to what/where? And given the low rent, are you looking for far from the city/up in the woods/down south Jersey?
Hey mighty, I meant 20min for the place you guys suggest as best, as HalfFull says, too. Not from NYC. Sorry..

Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnny View Post
Hey mighty, I meant 20min for the place you guys suggest as best, as HalfFull says, too. Not from NYC. Sorry..
Maybe I'm slow, but I'm still not understanding what the 20 minutes is supposed to be from/to, though I do get now that it's not from NYC!

But anyway, looking at your OP:

We have a 2 years boy and neighborhood with daycare/child center is very important at this moment.

- There are very few suburban areas in NJ where you would not find that.

We both have cars but still, a short-time commute is preferrable.

- This point is unanswerable because we don't know where you would be working when you leave your jobs in the city.

We are looking for a safe(low crime) area, where people could normally live and take care for kids & family.

- That describes most of suburban New Jersey

We'd prefer something close to school/college, hospital/pharmacy, food market/recreation area/restaurants/ (about a 15-20 minute commute) with some sort of down to earth life.

- Again, that describes the bulk of the towns in suburban New Jersey

Rent-wise - 2bedroom, something between 1K-1300$.

Aha! Now that's where your choices become more limited. As I'm sure you realize, NJ is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. Your rent range is not realistic IF you are looking for something within reasonable commuting distance of the city. As you move northwest/west or south in New Jersey, you will have an easier time finding places at your rent point, and they will be the quieter areas that it sounds like you are seeking.

I'm thinking that to get ideas, you could look on the NJ Transit website and find the places that are at the very ends of the train lines. Those towns would be a good place to start your search. Sometimes those towns can be expensive because they have the train station,, but then if you look a town or two away you can find lower prices.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-13-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM

@mighty we have place where people live, and we have another one where people usually shop, dine and etc. that's the 20min I was referring. Anyway, thanks for your great tips and advice.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,031,660 times
Also are you looking for a 1 or 2 BR apartment? 2BR at that price is gonna be difficult to come by, at least in a good condition. A 1 br though that could definitely be done. But I'd assume you'd want your son to have his own bedroom. Maybe try looking around Lyndhurst, Clifton, Nutley and North Arlington?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,674 times
Bergenfield was rated as one of the best towns in New Jersey for raising children. Good schools---budgets get passed every year---that always get some kind of positive recognition, a diverse, suburban community, plenty of churches and synagogues to choose from in Bergenfield and neighboring towns, reasonable rents by NY/NJ metro standards, plenty of local shopping while being about 20 minutes from the Paramus malls, a library that was recently upgraded with the latest technology, proximity to 3 hospitals and an easy drive over the GWB into Manhattan. Buses to NYC also run pretty regularly. Ramapo College and William Paterson University, both public, are not too far away, if you wish to commute, and Fairleigh Dickinson University, which is private, is practically next door in Teaneck.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,378 times
Speaking of FDU and Teaneck -- I saw a few nice homes in Teaneck. Question for you: If one is considering relocating to Teaneck -- is it considered a better move to live north of Rte 4 in Teaneck? The places I saw we were considered to be in the FDU/Lark part of town -- looked very nice to me but wanted to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey