Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,417,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
1. Jon Corzine was and is an idiot. As anyone who was unlucky enough to have their money with MF Global. For those of you who were asleep, $500,000,000 is missing on his watch.
2. NJ's problems took decades to create, and won't be fixed in just a few short years!
3. It took just until the very first response for a fat joke.
Umm lets see where do I start?
Corzine Idiot/Crook Whitman Idiot/Crook (remember the missing money @ the School construction corp)
NJ's problems are the countries problems so lets not act as if we are the only ones in this ship.
While yes I do find it horrible that he has no lack of control with food I feel the same way about family members of mine that are just as bad as him. His size does not effect his ability to govern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM

607 posts, read 959,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I am focusing on this question:
Can any other employee of the State of NJ take this much time off from work?

Yes, everyone gets a certain amount of time for vacations, sick leave, family leave, and personal business days, but I don't know of anyone--in public or private employment--who would be allowed to continue to collect his/her salary while away from work to the extent that CC has been.
Part of Christie's job description requires travel out of state for any number of reasons - just as with the President's out-of-country trips. These aren't merely vacations for either one.

Quote:
Yes, I am aware that his predecessor, Corzine, was away from his desk for a lot of time also.
However, no matter how unproductive Corzine was, since he only accepted $1.00 per year in salary, this type of situation was somewhat less of an issue in regard to Corzine's failed governorship.
How much they get paid in salary has nothing to do with their effectiveness as governor or political office. If so, I'm looking forward to you making a public appeal to raise the salary of those politicians whom you feel are exceeding their paychecks in Trenton/DC.

Quote:
Essentially, we are paying two people to do the job of one person because CC is away from NJ for such an incredible amount of time.
We are "paying two people" because we agreed to a constitutional amendment as a state 4 years before Christie was elected to office to specify a succession of power for the Governor in case of absence, resignation, etc. Filling in for the governor is a constitutionally mandated part of the Lt Gov position.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
Part of Christie's job description requires travel out of state for any number of reasons - just as with the President's out-of-country trips. These aren't merely vacations for either one.

How much they get paid in salary has nothing to do with their effectiveness as governor or political office. If so, I'm looking forward to you making a public appeal to raise the salary of those politicians whom you feel are exceeding their paychecks in Trenton/DC.

We are "paying two people" because we agreed to a constitutional amendment as a state 4 years before Christie was elected to office to specify a succession of power for the Governor in case of absence, resignation, etc. Filling in for the governor is a constitutionally mandated part of the Lt Gov position.

Actually if you want to be technical we are paying 3 people. Christie,Guadagno and Guadagno's pension from her other state job that she is retired from.
Remember Mr. Christie and his rhetoric on pension abuses?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Go up Corey Lane, Just past Tempe Wick, He lives on the left.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post

I don't think that anyone is questioning our esteemed governor's trips out of state for the purposes of promoting job growth. Rather, the question that arises very frequently is in regard to his almost constant absence from the state for the purpose of campaigning for other people. Surely even the most ardent Christie fan-boy would have to agree that campaigning for Scott Walker in Wisconsin, and for Romney in...a lot of states in the mid-west...is not part of his job description. And, we are paying for both the salaries and the transportation costs of his state police security detail.

I am not in favor of raising any politician's salary.
Why would you assume that I was in favor of that?

Perhaps a little history lesson is in order.
When Christine Todd Whitman left office in order to serve Dubya, her place was filled by the State Senate President.

When Skeevy McGreevy left office in disgrace, his place was also filled by the State Senate President.

When Corzine was seriously injured in a car accident, questions arose about his ability to continue in office--especially while heavily medicated for pain.

The question arose--quite legitimately, I might add--of whether NJ should have a Lt. Governor, as do so many other states--for situations like these, where a governor leaves office or is incapacitated.

The position of Lt. Governor was created for the purpose of filling the governor's position (in the event of a vacancy in the office or in the event of being serious incapacitated) with someone who was actually elected for that purpose. The position of Lt. Governor was not created for the purpose of allowing a sitting governor to spend extra time out of state on business that is not connected in any way, shape, or form, with his job description.

So--in this case, we are paying two people to fill one position.

But...let's return to the theme of my earlier question:
If any other state employee was away from his desk for such extended periods of time...how long would he retain his job? At the very least, wouldn't any other state employee have his/her pay docked, under similar circumstances?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Perhaps a little history lesson is in order.
When Christine Todd Whitman left office in order to serve Dubya, her place was filled by the State Senate President.

When Skeevy McGreevy left office in disgrace, his place was also filled by the State Senate President.

When Corzine was seriously injured in a car accident, questions arose about his ability to continue in office--especially while heavily medicated for pain.

The question arose--quite legitimately, I might add--of whether NJ should have a Lt. Governor, as do so many other states--for situations like these, where a governor leaves office or is incapacitated.

The position of Lt. Governor was created for the purpose of filling the governor's position (in the event of a vacancy in the office or in the event of being serious incapacitated) with someone who was actually elected for that purpose. The position of Lt. Governor was not created for the purpose of allowing a sitting governor to spend extra time out of state on business that is not connected in any way, shape, or form, with his job description.

So--in this case, we are paying two people to fill one position.

But...let's return to the theme of my earlier question:
If any other state employee was away from his desk for such extended periods of time...how long would he retain his job? At the very least, wouldn't any other state employee have his/her pay docked, under similar circumstances?

Please remember Mrs Guadagno's pension situation that Christie detests. Just not paying two people but more like two and a pension. A hefty one to boot.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,669,406 times
Quote:
Gov. Christie notifies the Lt. Gov. when he travels and has transferred power (to Kim Guadagno) in the past.
Hopefully she doesn't get indicted when he's out of state on those alleged fraud charges.

Quote:
$500,000,000 is missing on his watch.
Sounds like the perfect informant for Christie's next big sting. Now if he can claim he's nuts, it will be perfect.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,060,785 times
I don't particularly care how often he is in the state. Since we need less government, it is best if he is out on the stump, pushing for candidates on the national stage that favor less government also. It is all one big thing: government, and we need less of it.

And he can take the kids on the plane or the helicopter or what have you to baseball games too. I'm good with that. Whatever he gets paid? It's a pittance to have a governor who has the audacity to tell monopolistic unions in a leftist state where to stick it. As long as he keeps doing that, he can run the government from his yacht for all I care.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I don't particularly care how often he is in the state. Since we need less government, it is best if he is out on the stump, pushing for candidates on the national stage that favor less government also. It is all one big thing: government, and we need less of it.

And he can take the kids on the plane or the helicopter or what have you to baseball games too. I'm good with that. Whatever he gets paid? It's a pittance to have a governor who has the audacity to tell monopolistic unions in a leftist state where to stick it. As long as he keeps doing that, he can run the government from his yacht for all I care.
Let me guess limited government to you mean appointing a Lt Governor who is a double dipping sleazy political piece of turd? You have to love the double standard. Its like they gloss over the obvious hypocritical situations as if they dont even exist.
By less government I imagine you mean less hand outs to A.C. and the Xanadu right? Have you heard how well those two "investments" are going. Brought to you by Mr."Limited" government.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
I think it's perception more than anything. Nearly everyone thinks that Obama looked bored/disinterested at the first debate, many in NJ think Christie is already seeking some kind of higher office and can't be bothered with our 10% unemployment and high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey