Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 AM

901 posts, read 2,250,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Nothing is too good for little Billy/Janie

make sure you bump this thread when you're kids win a nobel prize in theoretical physics
I have heard you say this a number of times now. My bet is that you don't have any kids and if you did I bet you would very quickly change your tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miablueiii View Post
I understand what that means in theory, but what does that translate to in practice? Does that reduce the value of a home, should I be worried about crime, etc.?
Real Estate taxes are high in order to pay for the people who don't pay taxes but get tax-subsidised benefits.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,693,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Nothing is too good for little Billy/Janie

make sure you bump this thread when you're kids win a nobel prize in theoretical physics
It's a combination of envy and collective "WTF" when East Windsor is sorely lacking behind surrounding towns of Cranbury, East Brunswick, Monroe, South Brunswick, West Windsor, and Plainsboro when it comes to schools yet the taxes are through the roof. It's a problem.

I can't explain it, but I'd like if someone who understood the problem could explain in plain English, I'd appreciate it.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,027,321 times
OysterCatcher, do you have children?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I have heard you say this a number of times now. My bet is that you don't have any kids and if you did I bet you would very quickly change your tune.
I dont have kids, yet. But they are in the plans. This school **** is way overblown. There is a thread on the first page asking about the North side vs south side of westfield. Westfield, which is citys-data favorite town, now has posts about one side being better than the other. Its laughable. So many people buy the worst/smallest house just to get in westfield, now you have folks looking down on them, tell me this is about the schools again.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,790 times
I know this is a semi-dated conversation, but as a Hightstown resident (one who moved here with no children and now has two), I get aggravated about the school issue as well. Our taxes are outrageous for the quality of the schools. We don't have a huge house and we live in a working class neighborhood, and we are at almost $8000. Some local friends of ours pay over $11,000!!! My parents live in a teeny-tiny ranch in Hopewell and pay a little over $6000. It's not that the schools are terrible, it's what you're getting for your money---and as a teacher and a parent, I think that the schools should be pretty freaking excellent for what we are paying in taxes. It doesn't make sense.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear10 View Post
I know this is a semi-dated conversation, but as a Hightstown resident (one who moved here with no children and now has two), I get aggravated about the school issue as well. Our taxes are outrageous for the quality of the schools. We don't have a huge house and we live in a working class neighborhood, and we are at almost $8000. Some local friends of ours pay over $11,000!!! My parents live in a teeny-tiny ranch in Hopewell and pay a little over $6000. It's not that the schools are terrible, it's what you're getting for your money---and as a teacher and a parent, I think that the schools should be pretty freaking excellent for what we are paying in taxes. It doesn't make sense.
My house West Windsor had an assessed tax rate of just under $20,000! I don't have kids to take advantage of the school system. Grow corn, it does wonders for your real estate taxes.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM

303 posts, read 920,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear10 View Post
Thanks to the mayor of your town the moneys you're are paying is going to teach illegals kids English. I got a guy on mine crew he is a legal Mexican who was born here in US he's tolled me what the situation is with schools. I got no problem with teaching the little ones English but if theres too many in one area it can cause strife.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Thanks to the mayor of your town the moneys you're are paying is going to teach illegals kids English. I got a guy on mine crew he is a legal Mexican who was born here in US he's tolled me what the situation is with schools. I got no problem with teaching the little ones English but if theres too many in one area it can cause strife.
How much is he tolling you?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
If he was born here in the US, your friend is not a legal Mexican. He is an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey