Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,163,435 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I would consider these counties "cheap", but they may be cheaper than other counties in NJ because they are kind of in no-mans-land as far as commuting to NYC or Philly. They are basically stuck in between the 2 metro areas which may be a good thing in some ways, but commuting to either city is not easy compared to towns in Bergen or Essex County (to NYC), and Burlington County (to Philly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM

20 posts, read 39,519 times
Well it seems that a few of the postings I found were in "adult communities" but weren't very clearly categorized as such - which would explain why they were cheap. I work in Newark and my husband is trying to find work (in nonprofit fundraising) basically anywhere in the tri-state area at this point. We'll keep exploring this area since it's between NYC and Philly, but any other advice for areas commutable to the "hubs" that are both pleasant AND affordable?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,016,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miablueiii View Post
Well it seems that a few of the postings I found were in "adult communities" but weren't very clearly categorized as such - which would explain why they were cheap. I work in Newark and my husband is trying to find work (in nonprofit fundraising) basically anywhere in the tri-state area at this point. We'll keep exploring this area since it's between NYC and Philly, but any other advice for areas commutable to the "hubs" that are both pleasant AND affordable?
Keep checking communities along the NJ TRansit NEC

Hamilton (08691), Lawrence/Lawrenceville (08648), South Brunswick (08540, 08824), Franklin Park (08823), North Brunswick (08902)

In central jersey, if its cheap, its usually because of two factors, perceived reputation of school district, and lack of commuting options into NYC.

I say "perceived" because I'm not one to throw a lot of weight around and overpay to be in a "premier" school district. A lot of folks do that. Nothing too good for my billy/jane syndrome. As far as commuting, if you cant make it from your door to your office seat in 1.5 hours, then that commute is one many would consider to be undesireable. All of the townships i have listed above have good schools and are close to NJ transit stations for easy commutes into the city.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,465 times
It must depend where you are within Middlesex, my parents' 3BR house in Highland Park (lots Rutgers professors living in HP, almost no crime, so-so schools) would go for 400K+ now.

But HP is a really nice place to live & is super close to the New Brunswick or Edison train stations. Commuting to Newark is nothing. I'm sure you could find a house closer to 200-300K in HP, especially if you only need 2 bedrooms.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,029,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach111 View Post
It must depend where you are within Middlesex, my parents' 3BR house in Highland Park (lots Rutgers professors living in HP, almost no crime, so-so schools) would go for 400K+ now.

But HP is a really nice place to live & is super close to the New Brunswick or Edison train stations. Commuting to Newark is nothing. I'm sure you could find a house closer to 200-300K in HP, especially if you only need 2 bedrooms.
Yes, but more than likey it will be either on the south side close to Edison or in the "triangle". Anything on the north side or "presidential" section would have to be in pretty bad shape to sell for that little. That kind of money could go further elsewhere.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,139,228 times
Quote:
I understand what that means in theory, but what does that translate to in practice? Does that reduce the value of a home, should I be worried about crime, etc.?
Crime is pretty far below the national average (It fluctuates a little bit, but you can get the idea that it's a safe town): https://www.city-data.com/city/Hights...ew-Jersey.html

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
There's nothing really "cheap" in Mercer or Middlesex Counties.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,439 times
Quote:
My husband and I have started looking for houses near the border of Mercer and Middlesex counties (Hightstown, East Windsor, etc.) and I have found some great looking single family homes that aren't listed as short sales and are well under $200K. We would be first time home buyers, no kids yet, and we're also from Michigan (moved here just a few months ago) - am I missing something?

We're completely fine with more blue collar areas because that's what we're used to in Michigan. And we're hoping for a nice sized yard. Is there a problem with crime in these areas, a depressed economy, horrible schools, or what? We currently live in Morris county, which we like, but we'd rather get more for our money!
Hello there,
The homes in the area you mention are priced due to what the market can bear. Hightstown is a historical town so it attracts alot of tourists and also some of the homes are much older. You are close to the New Jersey Turnpike as well and NJ transit trains. Also, look at the school systems if you have children or not but that is a big factor in price of homes as well as property taxes. As a realtor I do alot of business in Middlesex County and as you move North into Middlesex County you start to see a rise in home prices due to commutability, younger homes and services the communities offer.

If you need additional information please contact me at [EMAIL="DanSurman@KWRealty.com"]DanSurman@KWRealty.com[/EMAIL]

Regards,

Dan Surman
Keller Williams Elite, Realtors

Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There's nothing really "cheap" in Mercer or Middlesex Counties.
You can get cheap places in Lawrenceville, East Windsor, South Brunswick, North Brunswick and a few other areas. I often see places under $400,000.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM

9,015 posts, read 13,860,864 times
If $400,000 is cheap,then its time for me to reconsider Nj as a predominate middle class state.
That's almost 4x my salary,and I make $100,000.

No wonder that many people rent in Nj. That's not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey