Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM

208 posts, read 545,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not the Hudson , the Amboys site on the Raritan Bay...
Yeah I always thought that the Hudson ends around the southern tip of Manhattan, the Upper Bay being a part of the Atlantic Ocean. Perth Amboy is even further to the south of course, on the Raritan Bay as you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

990 posts, read 2,560,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
That is actually the Hudson River, not the ocean. There is a ferry there that goes into Tottenville, which is part of Staten Island. They have been doing a lot in Amboy in recent years. It is definitely on the upswing.

As for Highland Park, it is very expensive. Less than $400K will put you in a small shack on the south side or in the "triangle".

I hate to burst your bubble but....The Tottenville Ferry (from Perth Amboy to Staten Island), has NOT been in service since.....Wait....wait...1963!.

I think you've got to get out a little more. lol

Just for the purpose of precision, the water separating Staten Island from Perth Amboy is known as "The Arthur Kill".

Nothing to do with death, simply an old Dutch word.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
They have been doing a lot in Amboy in recent years. It is definitely on the upswing.

As for Highland Park, it is very expensive. Less than $400K will put you in a small shack on the south side or in the "triangle".
We've found a few places around 350k to the north of 27, but they looked like they'd be very expensive to maintain (or needed kitchen/bathroom updates). Is the south side really that bad?

Anyhow, it's good to hear from multiple posters that PA is on the upswing, I'll visit it soon and see if we can live there with our limited Spanish

Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,452,693 times
You'll like Perth Amboy. You could walk to the train station and there's some good restaurants like the Barge and Portuguese Manor. Also some nice Hispanic restaurants. There is also the bus, the 116, to New York as well in case you miss the train or something. There are very nice people in town and for the most part keep to themselves so they really usually won't hassle you or anything.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Default PA location cannot be denied as shorefront towns and properties becomes like gold

I was born in Perth Amboy.

To see where PA is going you have to see where it has been.

PA was the hub of shopping with convenient buss lines. PA was a destination.

It is full of history including the 1st blackman to vote. PA did take a hit for a while but economics and population shifts will bring back its old glory.

Its seaside location cannot be denied as it has served as the governor's seat and the Dutch agency that distributed NJ lands. Incredible homes on high st, a developing waterfront, access to NYC, newark airport and essentially 'all' roads in every direction make PA an excellent future bet.

If history found PA to be ideal so will future generations.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,452,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I was born in Perth Amboy.

To see where PA is going you have to see where it has been.

PA was the hub of shopping with convenient buss lines. PA was a destination.

It is full of history including the 1st blackman to vote. PA did take a hit for a while but economics and population shifts will bring back its old glory.

Its seaside location cannot be denied as it has served as the governor's seat and the Dutch agency that distributed NJ lands. Incredible homes on high st, a developing waterfront, access to NYC, newark airport and essentially 'all' roads in every direction make PA an excellent future bet.

If history found PA to be ideal so will future generations.

Yes that is true PA is so convienient to transportation. Rt. 287, the Turnpike, the Parkway, and good access to the shore and NYC are all easily accessible in Perth Amboy.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,028,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
We've found a few places around 350k to the north of 27, but they looked like they'd be very expensive to maintain (or needed kitchen/bathroom updates). Is the south side really that bad?
Absolutely not. All of HP is immensely safe, and the public school system is the highest ranked in the area. But, compared to the big victorians on the north side, esp the "Presidential" section, there is a bit of a difference. The south side is also where most of the town's rentals are, especially as you get closer to Edison. I was just saying your buck could go further elsewhere.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. All of HP is immensely safe, and the public school system is the highest ranked in the area. But, compared to the big victorians on the north side, esp the "Presidential" section, there is a bit of a difference. The south side is also where most of the town's rentals are, especially as you get closer to Edison. I was just saying your buck could go further elsewhere.
That seems to be the case, yes, for 300k (which doesn't buy much if anything in HLP), we could get a really nice house in Somerville, or even a better one in Perth Amboy.

Kracer & homenj: thank you for all the info and insight, I will probably drive around PA tomorrow, maybe even take some pictures of the streets that I like, following the footsteps of Nexis4Jersey

Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Tell me how it goes , i haven't been there in awhile...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,028,167 times
You might also want to take a look at South Amboy too. I drove through there relatively recently and could not believe how nice it was. Check that out too while you are in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey