Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,217 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a 1st time homebuyer and am looking at new townhomes in the Summerfields community. I had a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered recently in this forum, but i will appreciate any advice.

1. Schools -
What elementary and middle schools do kids go to ?
If there are multiple options, which is a preferred choice?
Also, based on the ratings, the schools seem to not have progressed in atleast a decade, inspite the taxes being as high as 2.3%? have there been any signs of improvement in the last few years?
What is teh demographic of these school ?
2. Builder -
Has the builder changed his plans i.e., he said there would be structure for the community made and then decided not to build it or delayed it significantly?
There is lot of area he plans to make green space, but common sense would say that they can still change their plans despite showing you the blueprints?
In terms of construction, how has the experience been for those who have live here for some time now? build quality/materials/repairs?
3. HOA fees seems to be $90 now, but in the future is it expected to increase? The people at the model homes say that the municipality cleans the snow(although this is a private community), the 90$ covers all the landscaping of common areas and the retention basins (which seem to be breeding grounds for bugs as of now).
4. Any advice you wish someone had given you BEFORE you bought your home here.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 06:57 AM

25 posts, read 43,387 times
[quote=Yogesh Upadhyaya;36206354]Saw some work being done on Rutgers Boulevard (at Summerfields's entrance) for walkway for pedestrians. Hoefully, people will not have walk on the road.

Looks like an asphalt walkway...not concrete.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgandyron View Post
does anyone know if we are going to get signs put up in our entrance like the ones going up for the townhouses/condo/houses?
The DeWitt entrance(townhomes and single family Phase II) is more central to the community....than Rutgers(single family Phase I). Also access to the rentals...so maybe they may not put the brick and signage like that at Rutgers entrance on Schoolhouse...may do that on Randolph though.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 AM

283 posts, read 667,048 times
[quote=cricketplayer;36307336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
Saw some work being done on Rutgers Boulevard (at Summerfields's entrance) for walkway for pedestrians. Hoefully, people will not have walk on the road.

Looks like an asphalt walkway...not concrete.
Cricketplayer:

Yes, it is asphalt, since they are laying underground utilities below the surface of walkway. In that case, it is easier to dig up for any future utilities work, although concrete walkway looks nice and lasts longer.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM

283 posts, read 667,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
Hello All,

I am a 1st time homebuyer and am looking at new townhomes in the Summerfields community. I had a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered recently in this forum, but i will appreciate any advice.

1. Schools -
What elementary and middle schools do kids go to ?
If there are multiple options, which is a preferred choice?
Also, based on the ratings, the schools seem to not have progressed in atleast a decade, inspite the taxes being as high as 2.3%? have there been any signs of improvement in the last few years?
What is teh demographic of these school ?
2. Builder -
Has the builder changed his plans i.e., he said there would be structure for the community made and then decided not to build it or delayed it significantly?
There is lot of area he plans to make green space, but common sense would say that they can still change their plans despite showing you the blueprints?
In terms of construction, how has the experience been for those who have live here for some time now? build quality/materials/repairs?
3. HOA fees seems to be $90 now, but in the future is it expected to increase? The people at the model homes say that the municipality cleans the snow(although this is a private community), the 90$ covers all the landscaping of common areas and the retention basins (which seem to be breeding grounds for bugs as of now).
4. Any advice you wish someone had given you BEFORE you bought your home here.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
S
1st timer:
1. May be someone else can answer about school.

2. The community center and shopping center (at the corner of Randolph Road and Schoolhouse Road) will come up last. First all the homes and town homes will be completed.

The buildings are energy efficient as per NJ standards for energy efficient homes, and we get report on it after moving in. The construction is good, but there may be some minor issues, for which you have to chase them for repair. There is walk-through after completion of one year of stay, where all pending issues are listed out for repair.

3. HOA fees are just introductory fees, which will increase as more work on reservoir, road maintenance comes up.

4. For town homes, it may be good to pay $20k-30k extra to get the end unit, to get sunlight at least from two sides. It is only one time investment.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

[quote=Yogesh Upadhyaya;36308081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketplayer View Post

Cricketplayer:

Yes, it is asphalt, since they are laying underground utilities below the surface of walkway. In that case, it is easier to dig up for any future utilities work, although concrete walkway looks nice and lasts longer.
Yogesh, I think cost is a big factor. Cheaper now for builder. In a few years the HOA fees will have to be used for repair to the walkway wear and tear...we should just get ready for that now itself

Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM

22 posts, read 45,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketplayer View Post
The DeWitt entrance(townhomes and single family Phase II) is more central to the community....than Rutgers(single family Phase I). Also access to the rentals...so maybe they may not put the brick and signage like that at Rutgers entrance on Schoolhouse...may do that on Randolph though.
thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Hello all regular members, Yogesh, snowpail, Ron, a lot of other regular readers and members of the community...

1. We should try and organize a get together sometime before the winter, maybe someone can support initiative?

2. Any update on current projects and completion in the community...I see lots of activity...but are things getting finished...it is about accountability?

3. Could the representatives of the community in the HOA identify themselves if they are on this forum? It would help to communicate issues before any planned meeting next few months?

4. Let us share some positive experiences within the community...we know some issues but it cannot be all bad right? Let us get some positive energy too...

I hope everybody enjoys the last few weeks of great weather....

Old 09-16-2014, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,131 times
whats up with the builder who keeps jacking up prices by 5k every week for townhomes...end units are at 438k...is it worth i

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,217 times
hiyer31,

I have noticed this too. I have seen this trend too. 2 months ago a fully loaded end unit in the new buildings was 400K, every 2 weeks he kept moving prices higher by 5K. 1st week of sept we had homes at 430K. BTW, its the same units that have been open since July. Not sure whats wrong with him. I was interested in buying but this turned me off. Same home 2 months ago was 400. I am sure as hell not paying him 50K more !
Good luck.

S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey