Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 42,254 times

Advertisements

As a couple looking for the first time in Northern NJ, we knew the high pricing of homes but were even somewhat surprised how out of hand the RE tax situation is. Are there any Northern NJ towns (commutable to NYC by train) with RE taxes that are "somewhat" manageable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 02:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
You could try Hackettstown, NJ in Warren cty. They have buses to NY and also a train station.
The taxes are a bit better then Morris Cty and towards the city.........,
Hackettstown is a very cute, charming town. All the stores are up and running ,and it is home to a small, well respected college.
It also has some of the larger stores now, and is growing in that area.
( Kohls, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes)

Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
You could try Hackettstown, NJ in Warren cty. They have buses to NY and also a train station.
The taxes are a bit better then Morris Cty and towards the city.........,
Hackettstown is a very cute, charming town. All the stores are up and running ,and it is home to a small, well respected college.
It also has some of the larger stores now, and is growing in that area.
( Kohls, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes)
Here I go again

I would never suggest H'town to someone who has to commute to the city. Yes, there is a train, but it makes 50 bazillion stops and takes almost 2 hours, not including whatever time it takes to get to your building. You can drive to Rockaway and catch the bus, but you're looking at a 30 minute drive plus about 70 minutes bus ride.

Hackettstown taxes are worse than its neighbor, Long Valley, which is in Morris County and a TAD closer to NYC (depending on where in town). Still wouldn't recommend it though.

To OP - what's your definition of "not crazy taxes"?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,909,542 times
yeah..we have friends in allendale and wyckoff area who say that their taxes (15k) are a bargain..they need a larger home and the one up the street is 1.2 mill and 21k in taxes. YIKES.

So yes..what is manageable. I was thinking about hacketstown because of the hype of the place and I liked a subdivision there..but I dont think the commute would be feasible to the GWB.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 42,254 times
I know 10K (or less) is probably out of the question, how about less than 15K for a four-bedroom house based on the specs I submitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Here I go again

I would never suggest H'town to someone who has to commute to the city. Yes, there is a train, but it makes 50 bazillion stops and takes almost 2 hours, not including whatever time it takes to get to your building. You can drive to Rockaway and catch the bus, but you're looking at a 30 minute drive plus about 70 minutes bus ride.

Hackettstown taxes are worse than its neighbor, Long Valley, which is in Morris County and a TAD closer to NYC (depending on where in town). Still wouldn't recommend it though.

To OP - what's your definition of "not crazy taxes"?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenkens View Post
I know 10K (or less) is probably out of the question, how about less than 15K for a four-bedroom house based on the specs I submitted.
i honestly think that's completely doable and you have a lot of choices, depending on your housing budget. good places in essex county *may* be out of reach - (montclair, glen ridge, but check it out anyway), but you could go to eastern morris county, such as chatham, madison, parsippany, morristown, rockaway, denville. you could even go to peapack but i'm not sure of length of the train ride.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:47 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,909,542 times
If you are not opposed to traveling a bit further...On the northern bergen county meets Rockland county, New York....15k is doable over there I believe.

Clarkstown schools are the best over there. Again..its not cheap. I live in dutchess county 60 miles north of the city and 10k HERE is a bargain and that is for a 450k home 3 beds, 2 baths in the best schools. Most 4 bed 2 baths colonial are at the 12k MINIMUM mark.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:02 PM

14 posts, read 118,026 times
You can try Saddle Brook the tax are low and the town is small and nice. I live here own a two family home with taxes of $6,000 and the bus ride to the city is about 30 minutes and we are about twenty minutes from GWB. You can also try Maywood or Rochelle Park the taxes aren't that high under 10,000 depending on the house there are many choices. If you want me to suggest others please let me know.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,049 times
I also agree on Saddle Brook, our taxes were about $5200 per year. I love the town -

Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i honestly think that's completely doable and you have a lot of choices, depending on your housing budget. good places in essex county *may* be out of reach - (montclair, glen ridge, but check it out anyway), but you could go to eastern morris county, such as chatham, madison, parsippany, morristown, rockaway, denville. you could even go to peapack but i'm not sure of length of the train ride.
I love Denville, lived there for 30 years.........
However the poster is looking as a first time buyer. The homes in Denville are sky high now, along with taxes....because of the 45 min. commute to the city, for one reason. A first time homebuyer in Peapack, Montclair ?. Yikes, I don't know how much he has to spend.......but, speaking of taxes!
Perhaps Rockaway might have a reasonable home, then one could take the train from Denville. Or the local bus express..........
Hackettstown has Martz buses that travel in and out of the city in less then an hour and a half. Tons of people travel in and out of Pa to the city each day........now that is crazy And believe me they all do it..........the park and ride lots are full to the point of overbrimming.
At least in Hackettstown for a first time homebuyers 3 bed/ ranch, your taxes might be 6,000 or so.........well, worth the little bit of extra time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey