Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Look how sad we've become, when we think low taxes are $7000.

I think it's time for another revolution. Anyone for a tea party?
I'm on.........I'll come to the tea party.
Everyone who I talk to, whos taxes are above 7,000, calls them high......
We saw them raise over the years from 2,000 up and up to these higher amts. ( Outrageous, unless your in a McMansion)
The poster of this thread had asked for Northern NJ. When someone says Northern to me.......I think of the upper counties of NJ.
Why pay 15,000 tax if you don't have too.......
I know of people moving out of NJ because this 15,000 figure.
Hackettstown has a brand new community near the hospital in the 400,000 range. Four bedrooms, just built. With a decent tax most likely. Train or express bus right there, in your hometown. The rides not all that bad, I've done it.
As we all know the further out you go, the more home for the money.
I'd watch for towns that will re-evaluate your taxes to the price you paid for the home. That is happening in some counties here.
There is a lot for the poster to consider. Do you like more country, woods, and rolling hills........Or do you like a more city feel, smaller lots, more traffic etc...lots of things to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:01 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I'm on.........I'll come to the tea party.
Everyone who I talk to, whos taxes are above 7,000, calls them high......
We saw them raise over the years from 2,000 up and up to these higher amts. ( Outrageous, unless your in a McMansion)
The poster of this thread had asked for Northern NJ. When someone says Northern to me.......I think of the upper counties of NJ.
Why pay 15,000 tax if you don't have too.......
I know of people moving out of NJ because this 15,000 figure.
Hackettstown has a brand new community near the hospital in the 400,000 range. Four bedrooms, just built. With a decent tax most likely. Train or express bus right there, in your hometown. The rides not all that bad, I've done it.
As we all know the further out you go, the more home for the money.
I'd watch for towns that will re-evaluate your taxes to the price you paid for the home. That is happening in some counties here.
There is a lot for the poster to consider. Do you like more country, woods, and rolling hills........Or do you like a more city feel, smaller lots, more traffic etc...lots of things to think about.
we're not going to agree on this at all i think,

what if the OP works downtown? would you still recommend H'town even though they are looking at an over 2 hour commute each way?

and, those new houses across from the hospital? the development right next to them have taxes just under $10K - which, sorry, for H'town, IS OUTRAGEOUS, considering the homes sell for low 400's AND you get squat for land (.2 acre). don't count on this new development to be any lower. and h'town schools are nothing to write home about. it's a sin.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 42,250 times
First off, I want to say thank you very much for all of the great responses. The posts all have given some good info and interesting opinions to research and think about.

To be more specific ("in a perfect world") we would probably want a 4bedroom colonial type of house, newer, not on top of the next house, in a suburban town (with restaurants, main street maybe?, and a few things to do?) that is good for younger couples with small children. Commute to manhattan is important so I am looking for an hour or less (hour fifteen the most!)

I have heard that many of the Essex county towns such as Livingston, West Orange, Millburn, Summit, Chatham would be good to pursue but like I wrote the taxes seem outrageous to me. Please keep the posts coming if you have some good ideas, I truly appreciate it!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
we're not going to agree on this at all i think,

what if the OP works downtown? would you still recommend H'town even though they are looking at an over 2 hour commute each way?

and, those new houses across from the hospital? the development right next to them have taxes just under $10K - which, sorry, for H'town, IS OUTRAGEOUS, considering the homes sell for low 400's AND you get squat for land (.2 acre). don't count on this new development to be any lower. and h'town schools are nothing to write home about. it's a sin.
Nah........we won't agree.
I am looking for that great downtown, that the poster wants.
Hackettstown with the Davids Country Inn and the little stores is so charming. Plus out from that just a short drive would be the Kohls, Lowes, and what about the Brand Name stores up by the Trade Zone, fantastic.
Bus facts.......for you Mr Tahiti ( don't we wish we were there LOL)
Martz to NYC leaves 5:45 arrives 7:20 ======1 hr 35 min.
Martz later in the day.......1 hour 10 min 9:20 arrives at 10:30
Martz leaving at 3:15 arriving 4:25 ===1 Hr. 10 Min
( the ride is maybe 2 hours or less, a lot of the times from "Pa")
Many schools are not to write home about, unless your from Far Hills, or perhaps Mountain Lakes.
I'd just rather be crowded in, in the country rather then the city........
hummmm........I am going to think of some other towns for the poster.
Its all in good spirit that we try to help, of course..........

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenkens View Post
First off, I want to say thank you very much for all of the great responses. The posts all have given some good info and interesting opinions to research and think about.

To be more specific ("in a perfect world") we would probably want a 4bedroom colonial type of house, newer, not on top of the next house, in a suburban town (with restaurants, main street maybe?, and a few things to do?) that is good for younger couples with small children. Commute to manhattan is important so I am looking for an hour or less (hour fifteen the most!)

I have heard that many of the Essex county towns such as Livingston, West Orange, Millburn, Summit, Chatham would be good to pursue but like I wrote the taxes seem outrageous to me. Please keep the posts coming if you have some good ideas, I truly appreciate it!
Edenkens.....Yes, you are right. Having gone on the train many times, I remember all those towns as stops along the way. I lived most of my life in Denville......adore the lake communities. Especially Lake Arrowhead, having lived there. But also having lived in Indian Lake and out Diamond Spring road to the Rock Ridge Lake area. My dad built most of the parks that are in Denville.
I did notice this morning a listing within walking distance to the Denville train station. I don't very much like the neighborhood just over the tracks.....but, the home looked quite decent.
Denville, has the town appeal you are looking for........plus the shorter bus or train ride in to the city. It might give you everything you wish to live there if you can find a home in your range. Schools are pretty good too.
I use to love to spend my summers with friends swimming at the lakes.
I am not sure of the pricing in Morris Plains right now on homes but, they have a train station.
I can't tell you how many people I know that are purely ready to hold the tea party on the case of taxes.
Someone in the family is leaving Bedminister soon, going to Pa. due to going above that 15,000 outrageous mark.
I hope you find that special realtor that will work hard in finding your special home.......with some decent taxes too! Happy Hunting

Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Hackettstown with the Davids Country Inn and the little stores is so charming. Plus out from that just a short drive would be the Kohls, Lowes, and what about the Brand Name stores up by the Trade Zone, fantastic.
Many schools are not to write home about, unless your from Far Hills, or perhaps Mountain Lakes.
that's Mrs. Tahiti to you LOL!

I'm really familiar with H'town - I live < 5 min away, and actually got married at David's!!!! It's beautiful. I'd just feel guilty recommending it to a NYC commuter - you picked some really EARLY times too for the bus. Normal work hours will take you much longer.

Since the OP wants something closer (what's the price range here OP?), H'town is out of the question anyway.

peace

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM

163 posts, read 431,541 times
Look at Hanover Township (Whippany/Cedar Knolls). Very reasonable taxes, train within a few minutes at Morristown, and good schools. If you want a downtown, look at Morristown, but beware the high school. Madison is also great, but I don't know about their taxes.

Hackettstown is a pit, by the way, not to mention far too distant from the city.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,980 times
Quote:
Don't count on those Bus schedules, In Manalapan, NJ ours said 50 mins, more like 2 hours or more in evening with traffic
It was once 50 min but no more. Also big tax jump in Manalapan and its getting worst. 5 years ago I would have recommened it, not now
I was lucky to sell last year and move.
My husband now has a 20 min comute, pay $3600 in taxes for a 4200sq foot house, all brick, but left Jersey to do that, Nashville.Also, No State Income tax, same salary, he works for same company

Old 08-02-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Look at Hanover Township (Whippany/Cedar Knolls). Very reasonable taxes, train within a few minutes at Morristown, and good schools. If you want a downtown, look at Morristown, but beware the high school. Madison is also great, but I don't know about their taxes.

Hackettstown is a pit, by the way, not to mention far too distant from the city.
Hackettstown is quite charming, quiet, quaint, with lots of parks to visit.
One of the best little towns left in NJ. And........a good transportation
hub. ( although, too big of a commute for the thread poster-agreed )
On the other hand.........you couln't pay me to move to Morristown.
A town that once was simular to Hackettstown in charm.......now......
What was that word? .......the pits

Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,611,115 times
Default Still searching for a home in NJ with low taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenkens View Post
As a couple looking for the first time in Northern NJ, we knew the high pricing of homes but were even somewhat surprised how out of hand the RE tax situation is. Are there any Northern NJ towns (commutable to NYC by train) with RE taxes that are "somewhat" manageable?
Edenken... I just stumbled over your post and was wondering if you are still looking for a home in northern NJ with low taxes and a great school system..close to bus and train stations? If so, my house I am selling would be perfect..it's a 10 min. drive to Hackettstown (Train).... less than 10 mins to the bus pick up area...it's a 4 bdrm colonial built in 2003 on nearly 4 acres..with an inground pool for the kids : )) Great neighborhood with alot of young couples with small children..and best of all... our taxes are below 10,000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey