Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 AM

226 posts, read 866,032 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to bring my 15 year old niece over from the UK for a holiday this summer, she will be flying alone for the first time. Continental no longer offer chaperones to kids over 14. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to get her some help navigating Newark/customs etc, from the minute she steps off the plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,294,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
I'm hoping to bring my 15 year old niece over from the UK for a holiday this summer, she will be flying alone for the first time. Continental no longer offer chaperones to kids over 14. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to get her some help navigating Newark/customs etc, from the minute she steps off the plane?
One doesn't "navigate" customs -- they make you go through it. Because you have to clear customs, they pretty much put you on a conveyor belt and don't give you much room to make your own choices about where to go or what to do.

They will guide you through customs. Once you're past that, there's no baggage pickup or anything you need to pick up your bags and carry those through customs.

So you need to wait just outside where she'll clear customs. They should have some sort of clearly designated arrival area. These generally have everyone going out more or less single-file, so you won't miss her.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,647,141 times
Yeah, as elflord1973 said, there's really no place else to go -- you've got to clear immigration, then customs, and then you're all funneled out through a central exit.

From that exit, the only decision point is then based on whether you're (a) exiting there in Newark or (b) transfering to another flight. They have people standing there directing passengers one way or another based on those two options.

You can also find out ahead of time which terminal (B or C) your guest will be arriving into, and you can stand right there at the International Arrivals area and you'll see them the moment they come through the exit.

Really no place to go wrong.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
Maybe I can help... I have visitors coming in form the UK throughout the summer. Maybe we can try and setup their flights around the same time and one of our visitors can bring your neice thru?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM

831 posts, read 2,444,920 times
I would suggest that you call Continental and see if you can get a gate pass to meet her. I'm sure they won't let you in the custom part but you could meet her right outside the door. Then tell your neice to just follow the crowd until she gets outside the door and then there you'll be.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM

226 posts, read 866,032 times
Thanks guys. I finally managed to get through to someone at continental and they have a meet and great service which will be fine. I know arriving at Newark is pretty straight forward, departing internationally can be another thing altogether, this way there will be someone to help ease her nerves.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,780,518 times
Just tell her if anything goes wrong or she has any questions, look for the people in the Red Jackets. They can help her with anything she may need.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,813,045 times
she is 15 years old. should be able to figure out how to get on and off a flight...

Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,089,538 times
OP
What's crazy about EWR? as posted earlier, she will be sent immediately thru customs, and once cleared, you, and family should be awaiting her immediately after she exits the satellite. Ensure you check arrival time, before your leave home.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM

137 posts, read 524,035 times
If she is 15, and she knows English, she will be fine. I was about the same age and did NOT know English and I managed to fly from other side of the globe -> west coast -> mid-west -> east coast (could not afford direct flight). If a moron like me can do it, so can anyone.

Don't worry, your niece is smarter than you think. ; )

Last edited by lwnj; 03-13-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: