Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times

Advertisements

If at all possible, you will be hugely helped by buying a used car and getting a license; the towns along the Princeton train line aren't exactly cheap, nor is rent locally, and jersey is for the most part pretty suburban. Learn to drive, get a car, live where its cheap (you don't have an option on that with your budget), enjoy the walkable area near your workplace and on weekends.

Although in all likelihood it's a moot point -- if you don't have an interview set up, better than a 9/10 chance the whole question is irrelevant.

edit: using the bus system IS a viable alternative, but, make sure you have a grocery store + everything else you'll need to get to regularly really close if you decide to go that route.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
If at all possible, you will be hugely helped by buying a used car and getting a license; the towns along the Princeton train line aren't exactly cheap, nor is rent locally, and jersey is for the most part pretty suburban. Learn to drive, get a car, live where its cheap (you don't have an option on that with your budget), enjoy the walkable area near your workplace and on weekends.

Although in all likelihood it's a moot point -- if you don't have an interview set up, better than a 9/10 chance the whole question is irrelevant.

edit: using the bus system IS a viable alternative, but, make sure you have a grocery store + everything else you'll need to get to regularly really close if you decide to go that route.
From OP: "...Anyway, I don't drive because my eyes are pretty terrible, so I rely on public transportation, walking, taxis, and friends. ..."

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
the problem with NJ is that if you live in an area that is truly walkable, and accessible to public transportation, it's going to be more expensive because you live near a train station with access to NYC. but, there are economical ways to do it. I'd check out the hudson county towns, including Union City, which i don't think was mentioned above. also, if you live in a town center, like south orange, maplewood, etc...you could accomplish walkable. south orane has a performing arts center. surely some other cities do as well. I wouldn't normally recommend Newark, but there's possibly some good sections of Newark that might appeal to you.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
There's some Bergen County towns you could get away without a car in. Check out Hackensack, there are a ton of buses (to NYC and local around NJ) and three train stations that take you to Hoboken (transfer one stop before at Secaucus for NYC or other points in NJ). Other towns around that are good options as well. Teaneck has a decent business district on Cedar Ln. Maywood is also a nice option but bus transportation is a bit limited. Rent wise you could find something decent for under $1,000 in those towns if you look hard enough and be wary of scammy listings. My girlfriend and I are moving to Bogota (also in that area) next month and while we'll both have cars, we could get away without them if we wanted to. Plenty of buses to the city, local buses around NJ, a very walkable Main St and more businesses down Queen Anne Rd, good restaurants and pubs. It's not as dire as some may make it seem.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times
Ewing would be near impossible to get to without a car - unless you somehow luck out and live within walking distance of the job. Princeton is walkable if you're in the downtown but a lot of places with "Princeton" addresses are actually on Rt. 1 and are really Lawrenceville, South Brunswick, West Windsor, Plainsboro etc. The 600 bus does go up Rt. 1 but it's a really crappy way to get around down here (and does not go to downtown Princeton - you'd have to catch the Dinky to the Princeton Junction train station and THEN the bus if you lived in downtown Princeton). I wouldn't do anywhere in NJ outside of Hoboken or Jersey City without a car, honestly. However, neither is an easy commute to Princeton/Ewing with mass transit (yes, it exists but it's going to be a hassle.)

Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM

44 posts, read 184,259 times
Millburn's south mountain area is pretty close to downtown, including the midtown direct which has you at Penn within 40 mins.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
From OP: "...Anyway, I don't drive because my eyes are pretty terrible, so I rely on public transportation, walking, taxis, and friends. ..."
Oh missed that.

Yeah, if OP's vision is so bad he/she can't drive even with glasses and has that low of a budget they're kind of screwed.

I guess could check out the local bus schedules and see if any towns have apartments that are cheap, near a bus stop going where they need to go, and near essential stores (grocery, etc.), but, really much better off living in a city.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLinguist View Post
Hi world. I have been searching for jobs for quite a while now and never considered looking at NJ until recently. I submitted several apps this weekend for positions in Princeton and a couple in Ewing. I know nothing about NJ and I have only been there once (Jersey City) to stay with a friend as I commuted into NYC.

Anyway, I don't drive because my eyes are pretty terrible, so I rely on public transportation, walking, taxis, and friends. What parts of New Jersey are safe, diverse, and pedestrian-friendly for people like me? I am also very much into the cultural scene, so a place with a good cultural vibe (plays, museums, concerts) and something of a downtown area would be nice. Something with easily accessible grocery stores, banks, gyms, hospitals, and so on.

Any suggestions appreciated....then I can look up the individual cities/towns later. :-) ....oh, economical would be nice too. I don't know what 1BR rents are like up there, but I am aware that the closer you get to NYC, the more expensive it becomes. Not concerned with being close to NYC, just mainly concerned with all the other stuff above.
try AC atlantic county has several 24/7 bus rtes for SJ map click here Google Map

Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Ewing would be near impossible to get to without a car - unless you somehow luck out and live within walking distance of the job. Princeton is walkable if you're in the downtown but a lot of places with "Princeton" addresses are actually on Rt. 1 and are really Lawrenceville, South Brunswick, West Windsor, Plainsboro etc. The 600 bus does go up Rt. 1 but it's a really crappy way to get around down here (and does not go to downtown Princeton - you'd have to catch the Dinky to the Princeton Junction train station and THEN the bus if you lived in downtown Princeton). I wouldn't do anywhere in NJ outside of Hoboken or Jersey City without a car, honestly. However, neither is an easy commute to Princeton/Ewing with mass transit (yes, it exists but it's going to be a hassle.)
yeah try 605 and 606!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
yeah try 605 and 606!!!
Right but taking those and then having to transfer to the 600 somewhere is a pretty big hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey