Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM

31 posts, read 78,891 times

Advertisements

We plan to buy a house without a real estate agent. This is our first home so we do not know what disadvantage we may face if we go through the negotiation with builder without real estate agent on our side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by call_j View Post
We plan to buy a house without a real estate agent. This is our first home so we do not know what disadvantage we may face if we go through the negotiation with builder without real estate agent on our side.
I'm just curious - what does a buyer stand to gain by not having a realestate agent?

Here's how I would say a real estate agent helped me on my first purchase:

1. He learned what I liked, and expanded his search of homes based on these small details he picked up on as he was showing me and my wife homes.
2. He eliminated garbage, even when we wanted to see it.
3. He knew the area very well, and brought us to towns nearby we didn't even think of looking in.
4. He had easy access to comparables data.

if you're looking in essex county or near, I'd be happy to share his name.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Ummm why would you not use a real estate agent? On the buying side it's a no brainer, they are more or less free for you. If you are worried about not being able to get a better deal since the builder will have to pay the broker their commission keep in mind that the commission is only 2% and the broker will easily make that up with insight and negotiating skill.

If you do choose to go it alone, you better make sure that you do all of the things a Realtor would do. Check comps in the area to make sure you are not overpaying( this includes listings currently on the market and recent sales), get a very good home inspector, and a really knowledgeable real estate attorney.

Again I would strongly advise you to go with a Realtor.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 78,891 times
All the points you listed, we can do online research and find out those info ourselves. So I don't know what other benefit the real estate agent can provide us beside giving us town information plus house listings - in buyer's position.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
You can do some research online but there is no way you can possibly compete with someone who has personally been in every house in the area and lived and breathed this stuff as their livelihood. Stick with what you are good at, use your research skills to find a very competent broker. Once you go in with a broker they are legally responsible to you and they are working for you. Since its not costing you anything wouldn't it be better to have someone else on your side? Again I really don't see the logic in not having representation from the buyers position.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You can do some research online but there is no way you can possibly compete with someone who has personally been in every house in the area and lived and breathed this stuff as their livelihood. Stick with what you are good at, use your research skills to find a very competent broker. Once you go in with a broker they are legally responsible to you and they are working for you. Since its not costing you anything wouldn't it be better to have someone else on your side? Again I really don't see the logic in not having representation from the buyers position.
tdstyles is right. i mean, zillow data is incorrect most of the time. propertyshark helps. you can get the information, but it will take a lot of time. if you think you can do it, go for it. 2% of $500,000 is $10,000. so if you can really eliminate that cost from the equation, it should help. but keep in mind on a mortgage, that adds about $50/month to the payment. my realtor showed me such a variety of houses that I think he easily earned that $10k and probably saved me more of it, in real dollars and in my time.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,828 times
If you're buying, why wouldn't you use an agent?

Just use one!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,293 times
Real estate agents don't charge extra to write up the contract, on your own, you will need to pay an attorney to do it. Also, I suggest you find someone that is knowledgeable about new construction, as you can overpay on things that should be included. Caveat emptor

Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM

40 posts, read 131,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
tdstyles is right. i mean, zillow data is incorrect most of the time. propertyshark helps. you can get the information, but it will take a lot of time. if you think you can do it, go for it. 2% of $500,000 is $10,000. so if you can really eliminate that cost from the equation, it should help. but keep in mind on a mortgage, that adds about $50/month to the payment. my realtor showed me such a variety of houses that I think he easily earned that $10k and probably saved me more of it, in real dollars and in my time.
can u msg me the name of the person u used

Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
unless you're going to buy a FSBO I see no reason not to work with a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey