Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times

Advertisements

We looked at a house with a realtor. We actually looked at a couple with this one and one with another. I love one of the houses, but don't like the realtor we were working with. He let us know under no uncertain terms, he is a sellers agent (even though the homes we saw weren't listed with his agency).
Can I try to pursue the house I like with another realtor or am I stuck with the one I don't like?
HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM

10 posts, read 34,828 times
Did you sign anything with this realtor? If not, then yes you can do whatever you want and tell him you stopped looking at houses for now and then go grab another realtor.. What town are you looking in? I have a great Realtor in Brick and Forked River.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 AM

No, we didn't sign anything with him. He just struck me wrong and I didn't like him. He told us flat out he wouldn't and couldn't advise us on anything. He was also pushing us toward Washington Boro. We don't like the inner town limits as much as the outer. We are looking in Washington Twsp, Warren County - a little far for Brick or Forked River - actually a lot far! Thanks so much for the information.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,170 times
Default Goodbye Realtor

Funny- your post brought back memories of a time when we were house shopping. I dealt with Realtors like they were bad dates. In the first 30 seconds I could tell if this was going to "work" or not. You know the type that just won't shut up and listen?
Many (not all) of them were so filled up with themselves & gushed about "how many Million Dollar homes he/she sold or how many families he/she placed in the perfect home" yeah yeah... I recall one agent that refused to listen. I said "No main streets"
First house she took us see was on a very busy street. I couldn't hear her speaking over the cars zooming by...LOL - Then there's the constant voicemail, waiting for call backs, many of them didn't make US a priority.
I'm not saying ALL RE Agents are like this, just the 4-5 I met with.

Like the other poster said, if you didn't sign anything, then you're free to go. Even if you signed a contract of some sorts, there are ways out of it.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,099,707 times
You can change your realtor if you want. There is no obligation to them but changing your realtor a lot or seeing homes with different realtors is not recommended.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM

That was my concern. Seeing the same home with a different realtor. But as long as I can't get into trouble then I guess I'm ok. I just didn't like how he kept saying, "I'm a seller's agent" "I work for the seller so I can't advise you". It wasn't even his listing!
The bad date thing is soooo funny. That's so true! We met with one woman on a different house that was going to act as the buyer's agent and I loved her. I really would love to have her for the house that the other one showed us. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,170 times
Wink See it twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
That was my concern. Seeing the same home with a different realtor. But as long as I can't get into trouble then I guess I'm ok. I just didn't like how he kept saying, "I'm a seller's agent" "I work for the seller so I can't advise you". It wasn't even his listing!
The bad date thing is soooo funny. That's so true! We met with one woman on a different house that was going to act as the buyer's agent and I loved her. I really would love to have her for the house that the other one showed us. Thanks everyone for your advice.
but what if, say for instance, you "forgot" you already walked that house and ask the "good" agent to show you that lovely house for sale at 123 Main Street?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 PM

56 posts, read 290,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
We looked at a house with a realtor. We actually looked at a couple with this one and one with another. I love one of the houses, but don't like the realtor we were working with. He let us know under no uncertain terms, he is a sellers agent (even though the homes we saw weren't listed with his agency).
Can I try to pursue the house I like with another realtor or am I stuck with the one I don't like?
HELP!
It is unfortunate that you had such an unpleasant experience with this agent. Please don't feel that we all practice in this way. I can't speak to what this particular agent's issues were but I can tell you that we work for our clients...sellers and buyers. And, in NJ, we can even act as dual agents. If I had a listing that was right for buyer clients, I could show and sell the listing. Obviously, we have a fiduciary responsibility not to disclose personal information to either side. There is a way to advise professionally in terms of comps, recent sales, etc. and work with both parties with integrity.
That said, you can choose to work with any agent. However, the agent that showed the house that you may end up purchasing (with another agent), can procure cause. Honesty is perhaps the best way to proceed. Tell the agent that you don't think it's the right fit and feel it necessary to move forward with another agent. The other option is to call the agent's broker and explain the situation and ask if there's another agent that would be a better match given your family, what you're looking for and what you want from an agent. I've had people referred to me with similar circumstances and I advise them that if they like the house, move past the issue with the agent. Otherwise, the other agent can file a complaint and it's not worth everyone's time. Good luck! Elaine

Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM

21 posts, read 57,051 times
PM me and I will have you contact my realtor. She was able to get us a lot of possible buyers and we are selling and it took about 4 weeks and we are selling as-is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey