Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently looking to buy a house in NJ and have chosen North Edison because of the school district. I was wondering if anyone had heard about potential rezoning of schools due to redistricting in Edison. My concern is that when the NJ State Legislature changes the districts (due to the 2010 census) the school systems are adjusted as well. Am I off base here.

I looked at a map and saw that Edison surrounds all of Metuchen. Was Metuchen carved out of Edison? Does anyone know how school zoning is determined?

My biggest fear is that I purchase a home in North Edison and then get zoned out of the school district for my children. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,416,588 times
Metuchen was a town long before Edison was a Twp. Edison used to be Raritan Twp. but was changed in the 50's.

In NJ you always attend the schools in your neighborhood. In Edison you have North Edison and you have the rest of Edison. Metuchen is it's own town.It is in the center of Edison twp. but it is not part of Edison Twp.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
I currently live in a rented townhouse complex in North Edison but I have two child districted to go to school in North Edison (5 minutes near my home) and another child districted to attend school in South Edison for middle and HS (15 minutes away w/o traffic). The school system is great but the re-districting dabacling in this town is a clear representation of gerrymandering (to divide (an area) into political units to give special advantages to one group) and I am SICK about it. Two of my children have been in the North Edison school district from K to 5. But once they are ready to transition to middle school only them and a few others from my community are slated to go waaaaay across town. I'm not sure is that simply b/c we rent or because a lot more minorities are moving into this North Edison development and I don't believe, the North Edison school district wants to be dirtied by the colored folks, rather that's the Indians or Blacks, IDK. I just thought you should know to find a house deep into North Edison to prevent yourself from feeling slighted by the town I love to live in, like I do.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,068,918 times
The redistricting going on shouldn't affect school district rezoning, although they could be going at the same time I guess?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:19 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,030,490 times
Metuchen has its own school district, completely separate from Edison's district even though Edison surrounds it on all sides.

Besides that, both school districts are top notch in the area. You cannot go wrong with either one.

My only problem with Metuchen is the cut-through traffic along 27, which sorta winds and twists thru there. Besides that it is a very nice little main street town with tree-lined streets and beautiful old homes with character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey