Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 75,811 times

Advertisements

I'm new to North Jersey (Clifton area) and expecting a baby in the spring. I've done a lot of quantitative research, and based on the numbers, am interested in delivering at Hackensack University Medical Center.

Qualitative things I'm wondering about, and wanted to see if anyone has experienced these (or not):

Hackensack has a high rate of c-sections (around 50%)

Some say they've had excessive issues with insurance and non-participating providers giving care.

Are all postpartum rooms private?

I'd especially love to hear if you have had a good experience delivering, and who your ob/gyn was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM

22 posts, read 180,427 times
I had my two daughters there. Facilities are great. All rooms are private. I gave natural birth on both occasions. My OB-GYN is Dr. Sandra Giron-Jimenez. The first time, she came to do the delivery, the second time I had another doctor who was on call, but she was great. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
My wife and I used Valley and were very happy with the experience, we also had a private room( with a 32" LCD TV which came in handy during the 22 hours of labor), went natural, did go with epidoral after 17 hours and all nurses were amazing, accommodating and didn't push anything...I will say we both thought the Lamaz/better birthing class was a complete waste of time. RE: Hackensack, I have also hear very good things.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 63,768 times
Hi! I live in Clifton as well and I delivered my daughter at Hackensack.

I did have a C-Section, but it was because my doctor advised me to get induced. She didn't like the idea of me going that far past 40 weeks because they thought my daughter looked big and they were concerened about mecronium.

The actual hospital staff that I had frowned on induction and told me it causes a higher chance of C-Section...which it did. I was in labor every 2 minutes for over 24 hours and didn't dialate at all.

After I had her the nurses were all very kind. I had a private room and bath and they are very big and look more like a hotel room. The food is from a restraunt and not a cafeteria and you can order as much as you want.

As for the billing I never had a problem. I had blue cross blue shield and everything was taken care of for me.

The only had 2 problems with the hospital (I had a few with my doctor). First they kept trying to push me to give her formula from a bottle. I hadnt produced milk yet but was still breastfeeding constantly and I gave her formula through a little tube that I hold on my finger and let her suck. That way she doesnt get used to a bottle and have attachement problems with my breast. The one nurse I had when I was in the bathroom actually tried to talk to my husband behind my back and told him what I was doing was pointless and a waste of time and he should tell me just to give her a bottle. I was so mad.

Second the women that is manager over the nursery can be very controlling over you. Now in all fairness I had a really bad experience with my C-Section and I almost died so I was really sick and way over emotional. I would go all the way down to the nursery every 2 1/2 hours to feed her (my daughter was jaundice and in a machine so I couldnt keep her in my room) So like 8, 10:30, 1, ect...I knew my schedule. They would tell you what time to come back everytime you went. Well I came back exactly on time (which just sitting up was a feat for me) and the manager told me to go back that it wasn't my time. She kept talking down to me. It wasnt the first time either. I had a paper I kept track of all my feedings on and she was WRONG! and when she realized it she was just like oh well you can't do it now we are busy. And I went off on her....I never had a problem with her again.

Overall this is an amazing delivery place. I will never deliver any where else. I have heard such terrible stories about other hospitals and honestly I can not imagine ever having to share a room with someone!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 63,768 times
I just wanted to add that many different doctors do look at your child while your there unless you already have a doctor linned up for your child that is willing to visit the hospital. I didn't have one ready and I actually found my daughters doctor that way.

As for my OBGYN I won't recommend them. You see all four of the doctors in the practice during your pregnancy so you are familiar with them when you deliver. Well every 7 weeks they have a random doctor from another hospital cover for them. I was lucky enough to get that random doctor.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalger View Post
I just wanted to add that many different doctors do look at your child while your there unless you already have a doctor linned up for your child that is willing to visit the hospital. I didn't have one ready and I actually found my daughters doctor that way.

As for my OBGYN I won't recommend them. You see all four of the doctors in the practice during your pregnancy so you are familiar with them when you deliver. Well every 7 weeks they have a random doctor from another hospital cover for them. I was lucky enough to get that random doctor.
We had a random doctor deliver too. It all works out in the end. The woman does all the work anyway.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
Don't know specifics but have heard good things about delivering there.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 AM

59 posts, read 241,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knvista View Post
I'm new to North Jersey (Clifton area) and expecting a baby in the spring. I've done a lot of quantitative research, and based on the numbers, am interested in delivering at Hackensack University Medical Center.

Qualitative things I'm wondering about, and wanted to see if anyone has experienced these (or not):

Hackensack has a high rate of c-sections (around 50%)

Some say they've had excessive issues with insurance and non-participating providers giving care.

Are all postpartum rooms private?

I'd especially love to hear if you have had a good experience delivering, and who your ob/gyn was.
You cannot deliver in a better place than hackensack. Private rooms, gormet chef on hand. The Mother-baby center has more of a hotel feel than a hospital feel.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
we're doing st barnabas sometime in early march.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 21,905 times
Dear Mams, Actually, I am Searching for a good hospital for my wife. We are thinking of jersey shore and hacknsack. what do u recommend Us?? What do u think the cost for the hospital and Dr in Each one Without insurance, We will pay cash.. Hope u would help us. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey