Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,353 times

Advertisements

We have delivered two girls. One in Valley Hospital and second in Hackensack. If we want to rate both the hospitals on the rank of 1 to 10 (1 being the best), we would give rank of # 1 to Valley and rank 8 to Hackensack. Both has very good rooms with very good amenities. We took private room in Valley and we had to pay little extra ($175 per night for two nights and it depends on the availability - first come first serve) to get the peace of mind. It was totally worth it. However, you will get the private room in Hackensack without no additional charges.

Food was better in Hackensack but both hospitals allowed us to order as much as possible and even being vegetarian, we didn't had any issue and had plenty of choices.

However, the most important thing is how much nurse cared for us. We saw a huge difference between two hospitals. Valley felt like a home and nurses were very kind, helpful, and treated us like their family members. The whole delivery process was very efficient and painless (other than pushing the baby). We have our own horror story for the Hackensack. The first time my wife was admitted to the hospital at 8 months due to very high heart rate of the baby when I was overseas and no family members around, by mistake nurse started paper work for my wife to have "C section" without consulting our Gynec. When my wife refused to get operated without our Gynec, nurse realized her mistake and said "sorry" as she was suppose to take another patient for "C-section". The worst scenario came at the time of delivery. My wife was given the pain killer when she complained about the pain and once she took the medication, the nurse realized her mistake that she gave the pain killer at the time when my wife was fully dialated and was ready to push baby out.

I don't say that we didn't meet good nurses at Hackensack but two incidents in row (may be our bad luck) made us wondering if we made a right choice about Hackensack. If my wife ever needs to deliver in future, we will go to Valley. Also, if you want to take any video of the your baby immediately after delivery, Valley allows it but not Hackensack.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyersd View Post
You cannot deliver in a better place than hackensack. Private rooms, gormet chef on hand. The Mother-baby center has more of a hotel feel than a hospital feel.
I know that Hackensack spends a lot in ways to influence people, but I think so much of it is superficial.

We found Hackensack Hospital filthy. The bathroom I had when I was there was so small that the toilet bowl was almost right under the sink. You had to contort your body while brushing your teeth. The corners of the bathroom had encrusted dirt. The MRI machine was caked with layers of built on dust. That rolling contraption that they hang the drip bags on - looked like a Jackson Pollack painting, splattered with blood and chemicals of different colors. I have been to numerous hospitals, both visiting and as a patient. Hackensack serves a grey mush that they call food. I don't care for the place, needless to say.

Oh, they are very good with caring for the public places that investors and board members see, but in the background they are just horrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey