Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,997,888 times

Advertisements

I first heard about this while waiting in line to pay my parking ticket in Newark last week. The story is old (June 2010), but important nonetheless. This is terrible!!!

Newark Public Library faces staff, service cuts due to N.J. budget

Save the Newark Public Library

I feel bad for the Newark residents who rely on the Public Library to get homework done, pay bills online, and are involved in the various library programs. Closing some branches to save $$$ will only create more hassle when more people show up on the days that the branches are actually open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
I'm sure ppl will come out say , "the thugs of Newark don't need librarys" or something to that extent. But i know alot of unemployed ppl go to the librarys and use the computers to look for work or study.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Some Newark residents probably don't own a computer and MUST go to the library to get stuff done. You have to be a student/faculty member to even use the services at the college libraries.

I'm sure that even the Newark "thugs/gangstas" use the public library for something...if not, then they should, lol!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,348,266 times
Same thing happening in Trenton, Queens, etc. Camden almost shut its entire library system down for good. It's nothing new. They can go to college libraries or other libraries in neighboring towns.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Same thing happening in Trenton, Queens, etc. Camden almost shut its entire library system down for good. It's nothing new. They can go to college libraries or other libraries in neighboring towns.
And the those libraries will become overcrowded and more burdened with more patrons. That still doesn't help solve the library problem.

Plus, non-college students/faculty/staff CANNOT use a lot of the college library services. You need to have a college/university ID to print out anything from the computer labs or to take out a book,etc. Service is VERY LIMITED to non-college students/faculty/staff.

Also, there are libraries that require you to bring proof that you live in the area, such as a envelope mailed to your address/PO Box. I had to prove that I "lived" in Piscataway to apply for the Piscataway library card.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
all public libraries should be closed. government should be doing the minimum necessary and nothing more.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all public libraries should be closed. government should be doing the minimum necessary and nothing more.
Closing the libraries, that's a bit much. It's a public good that's used by people who can't afford a computer, much less an ISP. Having the libraries be funded by a private group is much better than having them closed down. At least the libraries will be open in that case!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Closing the libraries, that's a bit much. It's a public good that's used by people who can't afford a computer, much less an ISP. Having the libraries be funded by a private group is much better than having them closed down. At least the libraries will be open in that case!
libraries are a waste of taxpayer dollars. the working taxpayer has no obligation to provide computers to people that cant afford them.

if a private group wants to fund them then of course i have no problem with that. good luck finding someone to fund something of such little value to the public.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
libraries are a waste of taxpayer dollars. the working taxpayer has no obligation to provide computers to people that cant afford them.

if a private group wants to fund them then of course i have no problem with that. good luck finding someone to fund something of such little value to the public.
It may be of little value to you, personally. But you can't say that it has little value to the ENTIRE public. Some: yes, most: maybe, all: no. Tell the CSL and some Philly residents that public libraries are a waste and they'll tell you otherwise.

Victory in Philly: How Grassroots Organizing Saved the Libraries

Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM

very inspirational to see people take action to force other people to pay for services with no real value. let the public library charge users fees to support itself, see how valuable it really is to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey