Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:07 PM

392 posts, read 1,540,118 times

Advertisements

I have to give props to the Gloucester County Library system. I'll be honest, I haven't gone to a public library since high school and the invention of the Internet. I now have a 4 year old and my wife took him a few times to get summer reading books. I went with them one time and I was very impressed.

In a time where everyone is trying to cut back, it's worth a visit. Why spend money at Blockbuster... did you know the libraries have free DVD movies? We took out all of the seasons of Gray's anatomy. The had many other series also. They have pretty large selections and you can also search the collections of other libraries. The also have audiobooks and other items beyond books. We are always looking for something to do with the kids. My 4 year old loves playing on the kids computer there and they have different classes and activities for the kids.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought I would pass it on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,111 times
Interesting. Having been there since the due decimal system of index cards..Glad to see libraries are still in business.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,308 times
I go to the library all the time - the NYPL atleast, easier since I work there. Been getting books, DVD's, and everything else from there for several years now

Old 08-02-2008, 05:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,064 times
just went to Morristown Library, holy cow, its like walking into the library in Boston!!!! Its huge , historic and great!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,501,944 times
yes we go to the library often (in NC). they have lots of recent movies. just the other day we took out "Once" and "Lars and the real girl". my son loves to take out thomas the train engine and bob the builder movies.
ours even has "movie night" for teens. they get to watch a recent movie and they also provide free refreshments. i am guessing that is better than $20 spent at the movies--and the parents probably feel they are safer.
they have internet connection and we see people with their laptops or using the library computers.
honestly, the Library where we lived in NJ was kind of outdated and no one really used it. here i see people of all ages there.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,083 times
I love the Ocean County Library System. I hadn't been to a library in years but with a 3 year old and being a teacher I went there for the first time this fall. It's great that you can take a book out at one library and return it to another in the system. You can also reserve book and renew books on line. The Toms River branch even has a Dunkin Donuts in the Lobby.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:48 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,956,127 times
We're regulars at the Sussex County libraries. We'd go broke if we bought books. Good selection of movies too.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Props to the Plano public library system. Books, movies, music, programs for adults and kids, computers, interlibrary loan system, contests, book sales...

We're there all the time now. Unlimited check-outs and reasonable late fees!

My favorite part is that I can get on the computer at home, request all the books I want (they can be at a bunch of different libraries), and they will get them all together for me and deliver them to one spot. When I'm done, I can return them anywhere!

Props again!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 6,436 times
The library system is great now. With addition of the internet you can search, place a hold and go get your holds at the library of your choice not just your home library. I have taken out DVDs & CDs. The one thing I love is that you have an account that you can view via the internet and see what you have on hold, when you items are due back and when you bring back your due items you can check to make sure they were checked back into the library and taken off you account.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM

517 posts, read 1,965,721 times
The kids and I went to the library last Thursday for the first time in a while. It was great! And free! I was trying to think of something inexpensive to do with them on a hot day and it was the perfect choice. We got books, DVDs and a CD to listen to on the way home! I highly recommend this activity - especially in the summer with the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey