Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM

359 posts, read 1,106,447 times

Advertisements

is it me,or are the lanes to wide on the parkway.............not. i can remember when the parkway was 25 cents and the lanes where soooo wide a blindman could drive them,2or 3 lanes 30 ft wide,now 6 lanes 4ft wide............man the parkway suckssssss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM

877 posts, read 2,857,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
is it me,or are the lanes to wide on the parkway.............not. i can remember when the parkway was 25 cents and the lanes where soooo wide a blindman could drive them,2or 3 lanes 30 ft wide,now 6 lanes 4ft wide............man the parkway suckssssss.
Yeah and it still widens up to 13 lanes by where they removed the tolls, I mean it really doesn't make sense to narrow it there.

But with this highway I agree it is horrible. No other place have I seen a highway that is five lanes each way and always jammed. At least from 130 on up.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,988,544 times
Maybe we need to push for the MOM network to be built must of the traffic is south of Raritan River. They need to restore rail service in Essex County like they promised 15 years ago between Newark and Paterson / Passaic that would fix alot and like they promised up between Bergen - Passaic aside form the New Tunnel NJT and Christie are doing non-Urban projects which wouldn't take that many off the highways. As opposed to Urban , intercity Urban projects.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Maybe we need to push for the MOM network to be built must of the traffic is south of Raritan River. They need to restore rail service in Essex County like they promised 15 years ago between Newark and Paterson / Passaic that would fix alot and like they promised up between Bergen - Passaic aside form the New Tunnel NJT and Christie are doing non-Urban projects which wouldn't take that many off the highways. As opposed to Urban , intercity Urban projects.
Mass transit really doesn't work in the suburbs. When you build a train station or a bus terminal in the suburbs, they need parking lots for the cars, and all that does is create congestion in and around the station. The only places it works is in areas that are pedestrian friendly. New Brunswick works since it's a small city that's home to a major state college with many students having internships in the city, so it's good for them. Jersey Ave IMO is less necessary and there's a huge waiting list to get a space there. I'm right down the road from it and I can't even park there if I want to get a train into Manhattan - and there's no way in hell I'm gonna drive in that!

Dunellen, Metuchen and Woodbridge could possible pass since they are all in walkable areas. But the one in Edison, again, traffic around there is a nightmare!

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM

180 posts, read 607,097 times
Never sen 5 lanes packed? try california! Only you dont need to pay to drive it :-)

Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixtibs View Post
Never sen 5 lanes packed? try california! Only you dont need to pay to drive it :-)
In California it moves. I've been there, you have bumper to bumper moving at 65mph.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,812,740 times
Try to take solace in the fact that you aren't still using a horse and buggy.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,988,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Mass transit really doesn't work in the suburbs. When you build a train station or a bus terminal in the suburbs, they need parking lots for the cars, and all that does is create congestion in and around the station. The only places it works is in areas that are pedestrian friendly. New Brunswick works since it's a small city that's home to a major state college with many students having internships in the city, so it's good for them. Jersey Ave IMO is less necessary and there's a huge waiting list to get a space there. I'm right down the road from it and I can't even park there if I want to get a train into Manhattan - and there's no way in hell I'm gonna drive in that!

Dunellen, Metuchen and Woodbridge could possible pass since they are all in walkable areas. But the one in Edison, again, traffic around there is a nightmare!
Actually the Suburban Light Rail lines that are planned go through dense suburbs and connect all the cities. there is a line that would connect the Raritan Valley line , with the North Jersey Coast line via New Brunswick but its shelved for now. Majority of ppl who use the line near me walk to it or bike most of the parking lots are empty always have been.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 AM

13,437 posts, read 28,909,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually the Suburban Light Rail lines that are planned go through dense suburbs and connect all the cities. there is a line that would connect the Raritan Valley line , with the North Jersey Coast line via New Brunswick but its shelved for now. Majority of ppl who use the line near me walk to it or bike most of the parking lots are empty always have been.
What does this have to do with how wide the lanes on the parkway are???
People are still going to drive

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 AM

13,437 posts, read 28,909,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
One of the reasons I hate the GSP!! I'm used to driving on 80 where the lanes need to accomodate tractor trailers and wide loads.....cripes on the GSP I feel like somebody is going to take my side mirrors off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey