Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times

Advertisements

Gov. Christie to borrow $1.4B to fund N.J. transportation projects | NJ.com

Ah , seems like Christie is a hypocrite. Borrowing form the feds, i thought Republicans were trying to cap spending..... Raise the Gas Tax Already.......and fund it permanently.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,107 times
Riiiight. Because raising the gas tax - pretty much the ONLY tax of which New Jersey doesn't have the highest rate in the nation - is exactly what working families who already can't afford this state need. Imagine paying $.50 more per gallon ON TOP of the highest property taxes in the nation, plus sky-high sales and income taxes? It would only make this state more expensive and less liveable for the middle class. It's amazing how people don't understand that a lot of folks out there do not HAVE any more money to spend on gas per week.

What we need to do is to CUT SPENDING. That means taking care of our highways without borrowing or raising taxes on the most-taxed state populace in America. They probably waste enough money ever week in the Newark school system to pave every state road with gold. Curtail spending on the urban political machine that sucks this state dry and we'll be fine. Until then... borrow... spend... tax.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
Can't say I approve of everything he does but this doesn't bother me.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Riiiight. Because raising the gas tax - pretty much the ONLY tax of which New Jersey doesn't have the highest rate in the nation - is exactly what working families who already can't afford this state need. Imagine paying $.50 more per gallon ON TOP of the highest property taxes in the nation, plus sky-high sales and income taxes? It would only make this state more expensive and less liveable for the middle class. It's amazing how people don't understand that a lot of folks out there do not HAVE any more money to spend on gas per week.

What we need to do is to CUT SPENDING. That means taking care of our highways without borrowing or raising taxes on the most-taxed state populace in America. They probably waste enough money ever week in the Newark school system to pave every state road with gold. Curtail spending on the urban political machine that sucks this state dry and we'll be fine. Until then... borrow... spend... tax.
I can't take seriously someone supporting Christie while also crying for the transportation plight of "working families who already can't afford this state". Where was this concern when he had NJT jack up their rates? As someone who both commutes by train and drives, I would have preferred a gas tax to the transit hikes. I still would be fine with a gas tax.

Who says it has to be $.50 a gallon? That's astronomical. 5 to 10 cents is easily affordable and would solve budget issues. Senator Sean Kean (a Republican) is even advocating a small gas tax increase. "Kean said that as little as a single-digit increase can help prevent funds from drying out, the report said. He said the state could take in $250 million a year via a five-cent increase in the 14.5-cent portion of the gasoline tax."

But oh yeah, fat man made a dumb promise not to raise the gas tax, so now he's faced with the dilemma of either proving himself a liar by breaking his vow or stubbornly refusing to break his promise even at the expense of what's best for NJ.

What we need to do is CUT BORROWING. Spending is fine when you have money and don't borrow to spend, but here Christie is looking to borrow 14 billion and then spend it. He is indeed a big, fat hypocrite and dummy.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default 1 B$ sounds anemic these days, miles of NJ interstates

'We have a serious number of bridges in the state that are structurally deficient, some of them pretty bad," said Zoe Baldwin, a spokeswoman for the Tri-State Transportation Campaign".

This is like going to the dentist every 6 months for years and finding you have a tooth so decayed, it has to be pulled. It begs the question, 'what the heck where you doing all this time' and 'what service was I paying for?"

The infrastructure/bridges didn't deteriorate overnight and generations of legislators relied on the these 'dedicated' funds for everything but the original intent.

Every tax or rise in taxes, is diagnostic and validates that the people entrusted with taxpayer money need to be replaced with people that can work within a budget and find new money through a review of inefficient process and practice.
New taxes mean no one is attempting to fix the hole in the hull of the good ship NJ.

"This year, $850 million of the $895 million devoted to transportation projects will be spent on debt...."

This is where your gas tax goes!!!!

To help you and legislator Cryan, understand, any word that precedes 'tax' is irrelevant, intentionally misleading and refers to the type of bait the pols are using to net more money from taxpayers. Like asking mom for lunch money and spending it on cigarettes.

The current gas tax rate is the flag we wave, that tells our legislators. 'don't tread on me'.... it is a sacred symbol, if it falls, all hope is lost.

You want to raise a tax, then ensure every tax has a sacred intent that cannot be diverted as well as an expiration date.

'Dedicated' is heretofore known as a red flag to the people of NJ. It warns that anyone who speaks the word 'tax' preceded by the word 'dedicated' shall be deemed a charlatan and unworthy of public office.

CC appears to the the best chance NJ has to affect a cure for chronic wasting disease. It is just a start and let's hope his eventual successor will follow suit and make more inroads into the diseased legislative and political NJ hinterlands.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
To help you and legislator Cryan, understand, any word that precedes 'tax' is irrelevant, intentionally misleading and refers to the type of bait the pols are using to net more money from taxpayers.
You mean Senator Sean Kean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
CC appears to the the best chance NJ has to affect a cure for chronic wasting disease. It is just a start and let's hope his eventual successor will follow suit and make more inroads into the diseased legislative and political NJ hinterlands.
If you believe that, I have a decayed bridge to sell you...and I'll throw in a White Castle Crave Case for your fat friend.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 07-08-2010 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Gov. Christie to borrow $1.4B to fund N.J. transportation projects | NJ.com

Ah , seems like Christie is a hypocrite. Borrowing form the feds, i thought Republicans were trying to cap spending..... Raise the Gas Tax Already.......and fund it permanently.........
As usual the liberal left Star ledger leaves out important details...this article says it's a refinance at lower interest rates... using the savings in interest to pay for road projects......horse of a different color:

NJ to refinance $1.4B in transportation bonds | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
As usual the liberal left Star ledger leaves out important details...this article says it's a refinance at lower interest rates... using the savings in interest to pay for road projects......horse of a different color:

NJ to refinance $1.4B in transportation bonds | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
I wonder how much that is going into Transit vs. Roads , this state needs faster and more Rail / Transit.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I wonder how much that is going into Transit vs. Roads , this state needs faster and more Rail / Transit.
Nex..you're beating a dead horse as far as the rail/transit in this state except for PATH it's inefficient

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Nex..you're beating a dead horse as far as the rail/transit in this state except for PATH it's inefficient
I resent that , Depends on the line you use and if you an Express Train. The PATH is good and needs to be expanded. As The Regional Rail network is expanded Service should get better on some lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey