Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:17 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times

Advertisements

Never been to Camden. But Newark is bad enough. The city, other than the airport and its vicinity, looks like Mogadishu. Even driving under broad daylight in Newark is too scary. Can't imagine driving through the town at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Five years ago I had a great opportunity to explore worst parts of Camden. I rode my bike in the streets you normally would not like to walk. Before that I visited Camden a couple of times for concerts and could not notice anything special about it. But my bike trip revealed all those places that Camden is famous for. Burned and boarded houses, sketchy people, depressive atmosphere, decay. Yes, Camden has all these unique features.

I can post some pics later. But visually Camden is not much different from Lower North part of Philadelphia. At least noone harassed me in Camden, but locals in Lower North Philadelphia were not tolerant to my skin color (I am white) and asked to go away.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Go one block in any direction, you'll be at the scene of the crime.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:24 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
It is INDIAN country. Don't go there, but if you have to bring the Calvary.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
To be fair, there is some improvement going on: Revised Camden Waterfront Masterplan receives approval. I wonder how they will implement this: there will be a huge contrast between the new, shiny, modern highrises and office buildings and the hoods near to the waterfront with boarded up homes, buildings and lots of blight, crime and poverty. Perhaps there will be something like a transitional zone in between, something like a park perhaps to make the transition as smooth as possible and to avoid stepping into a whole different world when driving from the new waterfront area into the city.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
To be fair, there is some improvement going on: Revised Camden Waterfront Masterplan receives approval. I wonder how they will implement this: there will be a huge contrast between the new, shiny, modern highrises and office buildings and the hoods near to the waterfront with boarded up homes, buildings and lots of blight, crime and poverty. Perhaps there will be something like a transitional zone in between, something like a park perhaps to make the transition as smooth as possible and to avoid stepping into a whole different world when driving from the new waterfront area into the city.

At a minimum.. the Camden Waterfront has wonderful views of Philly and you could live on the Camden Waterfront and commute in the Philly with ease. At some point.. I would hope that the waterfront area improves which could add to the City's tax base. Out of all the Satellite Cities surrounding Philly. Wilmington, Trenton, Camden and Chester... Camden is definitely not the worse off.. I would rank these cities in the order listed.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
At a minimum.. the Camden Waterfront has wonderful views of Philly and you could live on the Camden Waterfront and commute in the Philly with ease. At some point.. I would hope that the waterfront area improves which could add to the City's tax base. Out of all the Satellite Cities surrounding Philly. Wilmington, Trenton, Camden and Chester... Camden is definitely not the worse off.. I would rank these cities in the order listed.
Agreed. Camden has much more going for it than Chester does. Not so sure I would classify Trenton as a satellite city of Philly though. I know they have a SEPTA stop, but that's not enough.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Agreed. Camden has much more going for it than Chester does. Not so sure I would classify Trenton as a satellite city of Philly though. I know they have a SEPTA stop, but that's not enough.
Chester is disgusting. But there is potential with Widener University for gentrification. If they did what Rutgers did in New Brunswick.......

Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Never been to Camden. But Newark is bad enough. The city, other than the airport and its vicinity, looks like Mogadishu. Even driving under broad daylight in Newark is too scary. Can't imagine driving through the town at night.
To get a perspective, look at Camden Maine crime rate and then look at Camden Nj crime rate.

Two Camdens, on opposite end of the spectrum of desirable places to live.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Chester is disgusting. But there is potential with Widener University for gentrification. If they did what Rutgers did in New Brunswick.......
Chester is a sad place. Widener is expanding, and that's good, but I don't think it'll do much for the city. Rutgers is in Camden, and that makes a difference. They have the waterfront attractions, Rutgers, the government buildings, and Lourdes. They don't want dead students, patients, tourists, or jurors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia