Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times

Advertisements

It is interesting that this topic has just come up. My husband works for a company that were asked to work on a site in Camden. My husband & some of the crew went to a site meeting at the premises last week & were told that if they decide to do the work his company would have to hire an armed Security Guard to stay on the site after the crew left to protect the equipment because it would definitely be stolen. My husband's boss said the company would rather risk the equipment stolen (ea. piece $250,000.00 +) than hire a guard. The reason---you can't replace the armed Security Guard!

We don't even drive through Camden unless there isn't any other way to get to where we are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 21,065 times
I have friends that live there that I helped find a new place.
Paulsboro and Woodbury/West Deptford are close to that area with comparable prices and much less crime!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
It is interesting that this topic has just come up. My husband works for a company that were asked to work on a site in Camden. My husband & some of the crew went to a site meeting at the premises last week & were told that if they decide to do the work his company would have to hire an armed Security Guard to stay on the site after the crew left to protect the equipment because it would definitely be stolen. My husband's boss said the company would rather risk the equipment stolen (ea. piece $250,000.00 +) than hire a guard. The reason---you can't replace the armed Security Guard!

We don't even drive through Camden unless there isn't any other way to get to where we are going.
There is no "risk". It will be stolen

Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Apparently Camden does not even have a grocery store, which is remarkable for a city of its size. There only seem to be some locally owned convenience stores. I assume this is because running a real grocery store would be too dangerous. I wonder where people get their food from though.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Apparently Camden does not even have a grocery store, which is remarkable for a city of its size. There only seem to be some locally owned convenience stores. I assume this is because running a real grocery store would be too dangerous. I wonder where people get their food from though.
In the 80's the lost one of their last grocery stores. People got some circular saws and just cut holes in the wall and went in and took as much as they could. The place never reopened

Old 06-10-2016, 05:00 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
There are over 20 small grocery stores. The two supermarkets, Price Rite and Sav-A-Lot, are right on the edge of town by Fairview. There's another Sav-A-Lot and a Shop N Bag just over the border in Pennsauken. At least those aren't right across the street from each other.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:20 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
In the 80's the lost one of their last grocery stores. People got some circular saws and just cut holes in the wall and went in and took as much as they could. The place never reopened
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are over 20 small grocery stores. The two supermarkets, Price Rite and Sav-A-Lot, are right on the edge of town by Fairview. There's another Sav-A-Lot and a Shop N Bag just over the border in Pennsauken. At least those aren't right across the street from each other.
Yes there are those two on the edge of town, Google maps doesn't show them when searching for groceries in Camden so I didn't find them. The others seem locally owned low end convenience stores. Still quite impressive, two grocery stores for a town of about 77.000 people. It must get quite crowded there.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Poor Ramona Gonzalez, whoever she might be, for she had this street named after her:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9358...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Camden is what I might call singularly notorious to people in this region. Everyone knows, for the most part, it's just a place you don't want to be. With a couple exceptions: e.g., jury duty. Also, there's the waterfront. Many concerts are held there. Plus the aquarium. I've been to the aquarium and the general waterfront, and it's okay there. Other than that, I've only ever really driven through on 676 or ridden through on the PATCO train.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:41 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Poor Ramona Gonzalez, whoever she might be, for she had this street named after her:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9358...7i13312!8i6656
Maybe Ramona lives in that tidy little white house toward the end of the block. Oh, no she doesn't.

Camden Street Name Will Not Change Back With City Council's Vote, Ramona Gonzalez Street Will Stay That Way - On Every Block. - philly-archives

Parts of Camden remind me of the movie I Am Legend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia