Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 82,733 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Sewell, NJ very soon and wanted to know more information about places to hang out, great places to eat, train stations to Philly or NYC...etc. We are moving from NW Jersey and we never lived in South Jersey before and don't know too much about it. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Hang out? Deptford Mall, Hollydell Ice Arena for ice skating. You could always head down to Parvin State Park too. Overall, there's more of that in Philadelphia. I'f you're going to be living in Sewell, you've got to go to Cacia's in Blackwood and get some tomato pie. Also, locate the nearest Primo Hoagies for a good hoagie. The train stops for PATCO are in Camden County. Collingswood, Westmont, and whatnot.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Most of the restaurants and major shopping are along the Route 168 corridor in Washington Twp. There's pretty much everything you could want there from bars to stores, etc. It's not my stomping ground so I don't have much to add on good places.

As far as train access to Philly goes, the only option is to drive to one of the towns on the PATCO line. From Sewell, the most convenient station is either Woodcrest off 295 in Cherry Hill or Collingswood. There are plans underway to expand train service to Philly down through Gloucester County and there will be stations closer to the Sewell area. However, that is years away from being a reality.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
My sister & brother-in-law like Carolina Blue. Welcome to Carolina Blue Smokehouse and Taproom They live in Pitman.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
I always get confused about Sewell. Even though it's both Wash Twp and Mantua, most people that say they are from Sewell tend to be from Mantua right (since Township has a strong identity and people just say they're from Twp)? Is that correct?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM

21 posts, read 57,014 times
That sounds about right...lol "Sewell" covers a large area including Mantua, Washington Twp. & Deptford NJ. Sewell "proper" could be more or less considered Mantua Twp and is a pretty old community. Depending on WHERE you live in Sewell (3 twps above) could differ drastically. It is overall a very nice area, close to major highways but with plenty of shopping within 15mins. Schools vary between those three Townships. I am a "Township" graduate, where Manuta goes to Clearview and Deptford to Deptford HS.
30th Street Station is maybe 25-35 mins at the most. Its a good location.

It is a whole different world down here compared to NE NJ aka NYC. Coming from NW NJ you will probably fit in much easier. Hope it helps.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 82,733 times
The part of Sewell that we're moving to is the one in Washington Township (zip code 08080). I don't know really know the other parts of "Sewell" or the other 2 townships (Mantua and Deptford). I did pass Deptford and saw some stores there, but we didn't really like the home inventory there as much as we did w/ the ones in Washington Township. I just wonder how the area is when it comes to crime and all that. It seems to be a quiet area, but nowadays you just never know. I checked all those things (crime rate and any sex offenders) before making up our mind about the home, but wanted to know more from the people who live in the area or know it very well.

I used to live in Union,NJ and in a way it seems like Sewell is more like Union or the nice towns around it than NW NJ. I'm still here in NW NJ and it's a lot of farms and empty land. There is definitely not a lot to do around here that's one of the reasons why we're moving to another location. If you are a nature lover and love the quiet surroundings...you will definitely love it here, but it's just not where I wanted to set down roots and raise children. The surrounding towns and their school system is not that great (and I heard that from old students and even teachers) and the most "exciting" place around here is either Shoprite or Walmart. It was good for a little bit, but like I said...not for the long run.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I've always associated "Sewell" with Washington Township. My sister moved to "Sewell" (Washington Twp.) around 17 years ago and always referred to where she lived as Sewell. Out of the other four people I knew/know that live in Washington Twp., three of them refer to where they live as "Sewell". Of the three people I know that live in Mantua, only one of them refers to where they live as "Sewell". I think the "Township" designation is something that people gain from going through school in Washington Township.

joongbo, as far as crime and things go, the area is just fine and equal to any other nice suburban area in those regards. As for Deptford, that's the location of the major shopping mall near their. You'll get familiar with it and the hellacious traffic around it soon enough, lol. The nice part about where you are living though is that with so many stores on the main drag in Washington Twp., you can tend to avoid the mall unless you really need to go there.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
Here is the deal with Sewell. It's an unincorporated municipality within Mantua. Washington Township was never able to get its own zip code, so it shared its zip codes with the old zip code assigned to Sewell, which is now no longer a place (there is an abandoned Sewell train station that you can find in the area). The two townships are Mantua Township and Washginton Twp. Some Blackwood zip code addresses are in Turnersville and are in Washington Township. The goofy zip code sharing was never resolved by the USPS. It's funny because I live in Collingswood, and we have our own zip code for a small number of people.

Goat is right - most people identify with the incorporated township (Washington Township) and not the mailing city (Sewell). Hope that clears this one up.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joongbo View Post
My husband and I are moving to Sewell, NJ very soon and wanted to know more information about places to hang out, great places to eat, train stations to Philly or NYC...etc. We are moving from NW Jersey and we never lived in South Jersey before and don't know too much about it. Any suggestions???
Off peak, you are a 30 minute drive to Center City. At peak, it can take much, much longer.

If driving to the city is too much on a given night, there is plenty of nearby shopping in Washington Township, Williamstown (just near the AC expy entrance), Deptford, etc.

Washington Township has two parks - Washington Lake Park and Bethel Mill Park. Restaurant selection is hit or miss - you have mostly chain restaurants in the township, however there are some decent independent places cropping up on Egg Harbor Road and elsewhere in some of the older shopping centers. Toscana is down in Mantua and is good - they have a second location in Cherry Hill. I haven't lived there in a while, so I can't call out too many others that may have closed shop. We usually ate at Outback, Carrabba's, etc.

Train access is not that convenient from Washington Township, though the light rail line may be expanded to Glassboro sometime before the year 2100. Even when it is, it will serve commuting more than recreation and require a transfer in Camden. In the meantime, you can pick up the PATCO line in Lindenwold, which is a 20 minute drive away (i.e. it's about 10-15 minutes faster to drive, longer if you miss a train).

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia