Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM

27 posts, read 83,174 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone!

i do have a quick question for you anglers out there...

know of any good places to fish? LOL! The hubby is big time when it comes to fishing and I just tag along and go fly fishing too (i'm still somewhat of a newbie). Up here in NW there are lakes and streams galore where you can stop and take out the ol' pole and fish. I wonder if the new home will have any good areas to fish nearby?? There's always the shore to catch the big fish, but anybody know of any lakes or streams where one can fish? I know some are private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM

198 posts, read 485,984 times
I like the chicken parm sandwich at The Mozzarella Grill. I haven't been there in a few years but it used to be really good.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM

33,049 posts, read 36,676,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joongbo View Post
thanks everyone!

i do have a quick question for you anglers out there...

know of any good places to fish? LOL! The hubby is big time when it comes to fishing and I just tag along and go fly fishing too (i'm still somewhat of a newbie). Up here in NW there are lakes and streams galore where you can stop and take out the ol' pole and fish. I wonder if the new home will have any good areas to fish nearby?? There's always the shore to catch the big fish, but anybody know of any lakes or streams where one can fish? I know some are private.
There's a map here:

Gloucester County, New Jersey Fishing | Hook and Bullet

Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 PM

that's so awesome! thanks!

can't wait for trout season to start!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,476,318 times
As for restaurants, I always wanted to try that restaurant near Hollydell Ice Arena on Delsea Drive. Always looked kind of neat, but I've never been there. That's on the other side of Hollydell drive from what used to be a Dairy Queen. I have memories of going there when I was really little.

Quote:
The part of Sewell that we're moving to is the one in Washington Township (zip code 08080). I don't know really know the other parts of "Sewell" or the other 2 townships (Mantua and Deptford). I did pass Deptford and saw some stores there, but we didn't really like the home inventory there as much as we did w/ the ones in Washington Township. I just wonder how the area is when it comes to crime and all that. It seems to be a quiet area, but nowadays you just never know. I checked all those things (crime rate and any sex offenders) before making up our mind about the home, but wanted to know more from the people who live in the area or know it very well.

I used to live in Union,NJ and in a way it seems like Sewell is more like Union or the nice towns around it than NW NJ. I'm still here in NW NJ and it's a lot of farms and empty land. There is definitely not a lot to do around here that's one of the reasons why we're moving to another location. If you are a nature lover and love the quiet surroundings...you will definitely love it here, but it's just not where I wanted to set down roots and raise children. The surrounding towns and their school system is not that great (and I heard that from old students and even teachers) and the most "exciting" place around here is either Shoprite or Walmart. It was good for a little bit, but like I said...not for the long run.
I would say NW NJ is unique in the state. I've been through most of Hunterdon, Warren, and some of Sussex counties. It just has a very different feel because of the landscape. NJ has a reputation for being flat (excepting some northern parts of the state, especially NW NJ, of course), and South Jersey is the flattest part of the state. Also, which Union, NJ, do you mean? Wikipedia says there are two, one in Hunterdon and one in Union county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As for Deptford, that's the location of the major shopping mall near their. You'll get familiar with it and the hellacious traffic around it soon enough, lol. The nice part about where you are living though is that with so many stores on the main drag in Washington Twp., you can tend to avoid the mall unless you really need to go there.
I used to think the same about driving in Deptford around the mall... then I went to school with my car at Rutgers-New Brunswick. The traffic in Deptford is nothing to me now, lol. You want a mall in NJ with truly hellacious traffic? Try Garden State Plaza in Paramus. When I was at Rutgers, I drove up the parkway there for a date off the internet one Saturday during the Christmas shopping season. Big mistake...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM

NW NJ is very different. Right now we live in Crystal Springs Resort which is a four season type or resort (golf, ski, water park type of resort). I remember when we first saw the area it was totally different from where we came from (Union, NJ). We have breathtaking views of the mountains (we're actually on the mountain). This is the place to be when you want to go and check out the leaves changing colors during the fall season. If you want peace and quiet...then this is the place to be. The only thing is...it was too peaceful and quiet and nothing to do around here. If you want to go anywhere "fun"...you gotta head out more than half an hour to an hour away. That got old very quick. The community we live in do have more of the older citizens, but we do have a lot of young families here also which is good. Our community right now is really nice...it's just right outside that is not so good.

I grew up in Union, NJ (Union County). Nice area that is close to everything...which is really good. When we were looking for houses though...even my mom told me not to go buy there. I guess the old neighborhood is not the same.

How is the mall in Cherry Hill?? It seems like it's the closest mall to Sewell.

Oh..Garden State Plaza in Paramus?? Fuggedaboutit! One year my husband and I went there to hang out w/ old friends. It took us 1 hour to find parking...and it wasn't during the holiday season. We always pass by there when we're around the area and there is craaaazy traffic in the mall area and outside of it. I seriously don't get what's so nice about that mall. It's definitely not worth waiting an hour to find parking. If I want to go somewhere nice...I'd still hit up Short Hills Mall and there's more malls and stores like that Riverside Mall w/ more of the expensive stores (if that's your thing).

Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,941,307 times
Quote:

Cherry hill mall is very nice.. We love it there. Very upscale

Cherry Hill Mall | Cherry Hill Mall's Website Home Page

Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,831,556 times
Quote:
NW NJ is very different. Right now we live in Crystal Springs Resort which is a four season type or resort (golf, ski, water park type of resort). I remember when we first saw the area it was totally different from where we came from (Union, NJ). We have breathtaking views of the mountains (we're actually on the mountain). This is the place to be when you want to go and check out the leaves changing colors during the fall season. If you want peace and quiet...then this is the place to be. The only thing is...it was too peaceful and quiet and nothing to do around here. If you want to go anywhere "fun"...you gotta head out more than half an hour to an hour away. That got old very quick. The community we live in do have more of the older citizens, but we do have a lot of young families here also which is good. Our community right now is really nice...it's just right outside that is not so good.

I grew up in Union, NJ (Union County). Nice area that is close to everything...which is really good. When we were looking for houses though...even my mom told me not to go buy there. I guess the old neighborhood is not the same.

Oh..Garden State Plaza in Paramus?? Fuggedaboutit! One year my husband and I went there to hang out w/ old friends. It took us 1 hour to find parking...and it wasn't during the holiday season. We always pass by there when we're around the area and there is craaaazy traffic in the mall area and outside of it. I seriously don't get what's so nice about that mall. It's definitely not worth waiting an hour to find parking. If I want to go somewhere nice...I'd still hit up Short Hills Mall and there's more malls and stores like that Riverside Mall w/ more of the expensive stores (if that's your thing).
Deptford Mall is closer to Sewell.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM

Does anybody know if there's a bus that goes straight to Philly from Sewell???

Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

164 posts, read 434,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
Here is the deal with Sewell. It's an unincorporated municipality within Mantua. Washington Township was never able to get its own zip code, so it shared its zip codes with the old zip code assigned to Sewell, which is now no longer a place (there is an abandoned Sewell train station that you can find in the area). The two townships are Mantua Township and Washginton Twp.
LOL, Sewell IS a place. Maybe the old train station is abandoned, but you can discover Sewell on your trusty Google map, right there with our wonderful Sewell School , and Sewell Post Office .
I was surprised that, when looking for a Pediatrician in Sewell, I was directed to a place "in Sewell" just a few clicks outside of Turnersville, NJ.
We are in Sewell, Mantua Township, right off Mantua Drive. Can't beat it
But as to the question, Lots of good things to do around the area, including parks (including fishing), shopping and it's convenient to major highways while remaining quite suburban and almost rural... a nice place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia